Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Can I get some opinions on three similar coaches in the same 2002 -2004 vintage range

Monaco's, Newmar's, Holiday Rambler's, 36-40 ft range. Likes and dislikes, similarities?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler and Monaco are identical RVs (except for cosmetics) for 2002-2004. So you are only comparing two manufacturers.

The only comment I will make is to stay away from the R4R HR/Monaco chassis used in their entry level DP coaches. Otherwise there are some great coaches built during these years.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

I could say they are all inferior to Country Coaches of the same vintage, but since you are set on these coaches, I won't say that.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #4

One thing to look for on the Newmars, if on a Spartan chassis, it could have the dreaded ball joint boot rot. Not a game changer because you could make it part of the negotiation. When I had mine fixed in 2012 it was $2100. Can't replace just the boots, have to do the whole shootin' match.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Bad experience here on Monaco 2002 on the R4R chassis. I had brake issues that they recalled the assemblies and fixed but the workmanship on the coach itself was less than desired. Leaks at windows into the wall, specicially front windows in the driver area. Where the front cap laps over the side wall there is a huge lap seam and the window is installed right over that seam, seal is not enough to get the job done. I had no clue it was leaking till I got mushrooms growing at the bottom of the wall at the floor where it had been wet and rotting. Just outside of warranty and they wouldn't fix it. I have witnessed other Monacrap'os with the same issue during the above mentioned years. I made a point of looking at used coaches whenever on a lot. I was naive then and way suspicious now of anything an rv manufacturer puts together. Check EVERYTHING is what I say JMHO
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Bad experience here on Monaco 2002 on the R4R chassis. I had brake issues that they recalled the assemblies and fixed but the workmanship on the coach itself was less than desired. Leaks at windows into the wall, specicially front windows in the driver area. Where the front cap laps over the side wall there is a huge lap seam and the window is installed right over that seam, seal is not enough to get the job done. I had no clue it was leaking till I got mushrooms growing at the bottom of the wall at the floor where it had been wet and rotting. Just outside of warranty and they wouldn't fix it. I have witnessed other Monacrap'os with the same issue during the above mentioned years. I made a point of looking at used coaches whenever on a lot. I was naive then and way suspicious now of anything an rv manufacturer puts together. Check EVERYTHING is what I say JMHO

I know this whole searching and learning process is discouraging ;-((
Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Holiday Rambler and Monaco are identical RVs (except for cosmetics) for 2002-2004. So you are only comparing two manufacturers.

The only comment I will make is to stay away from the R4R HR/Monaco chassis used in their entry level DP coaches. Otherwise there are some great coaches built during these years.

Now I know why they look so much alike?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
I could say they are all inferior to Country Coaches of the same vintage, but since you are set on these coaches, I won't say that.

Actually I am not set on these particular coaches, and CC"s are appealing too. Don't see many for sale. Maybe that alone says something.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Monaco's, Newmar's, Holiday Rambler's, 36-40 ft range. Likes and dislikes, similarities?
Hi..
I think you should add Travel Supreme to that list.. They made a 36 and a 40 during that period.. I love mine and looked and researched them all..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT! We've spent about $15K doing upgrades for comfort and safety, but don't regret any of it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Your question is too broad.

Pick some models from each manufacturer in the same price point and post the models in your question.

Monaco has about 9 different models for gas and dp versions in 2002. (See NADA)

The MSRP likely ranged from $150k to $600k.

What level of rig interests you and what kind of engine?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This post is all over the road, based on later additions. So I will add to look at Fleetwood Revolutions from these years and say that the Newmars are always good choices. With a RV this old, past owner upkeep and records are very important.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Love my KStar, the build, the company and the Spartan Chassis. Best built coach I've ever owned. Have found nothing I dislike.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
We love our 40ft 2003 HR Endeavor. It is a great coach and we have had very few issues and those were small and easily fixed like valve on hot water heater, leak under sink, etc. Plan to keep "Big Eddie" a long time.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage