Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #1

Can I make this turn with my 42 footer?

After my last trip where I got into a situation making a right turn (that ended up scratching the bottom of my rig), I now use Google maps to review the route to see if there are any difficult turns in my route.

My coach, having a wheelbase or 287" is hard to turn sharply. Left turns are not really a problem since I have all that extra room in the intersection. Bu those right turns can really screw me up.

The first photo is the turn that gave me trouble on my last trip...

The second photo is along the route I will be traveling next week.

I'm thinking I should skip this turn, go another 20 or 30 miles so the turn I need to make will be a left.

What do you think?
Do you (those with 42+ foot coaches) also need to review every turn in your route ahead of time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right turn off Hwy-100 onto A1A.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	200253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right turn off 192 to Miramar Ave.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	200254  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

Sometimes...and being real careful...you have to move a bit to the left (taking both lanes) but no so far that a car can run up on your right side, and make a bigger sweep for yourself. Most people will see what you're doing and give way. Don't do this too soon before the intersection, but soon enough that you can align your rear, right tire in the center of the right turn lane just before you start turning. Keep your eyes on the mirrors and totally stop if anyone tries to squeeze up your right side.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

Hi CountryB,
I really can't tell for sure but I believe I would have no difficulty with my 44' rig on either of those turns. I've been driving class A's for 20 years & I always have my radar on for trouble issues. Like others I will borrow lane space to give myself wider turn space. But my suggestion is to use a GPS that is set up for trucks/busses/RV's and that will greatly limit exposure to areas that would pose problems.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, I agree with Funding_Fun, you'll need to crowd the folks in the left lane, or even cross the line a bit if necessary.
When you do that though be sure and watch your tail swing into the left lane so you don't smack some car that decided to squeeze in there.
As Funding said, stop, sit and wait if necessary before you finish the turn. Being safe is more important than being quick about the turn.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
Sometimes...and being real careful...you have to move a bit to the left (taking both lanes) .
I didn't know the turn was going to be that tight until I was at the "stop bar" looking to my right. Then my stomach dropped and I thought "Sh!!" this is going to be tight.

On the second picture - the stop bars for the cars on Miramar Ave are set back further, so I can get a bigger swing, but using some of the space in the left turn lane a little is the best advice I think.

Now I go to Google maps and review the route ahead of time. But that takes all the spontinatiety out of RVing.

If we are driving along the wife wants to stop for lunch or diner, I won't unless I can check the place out on Google first (or it has obvious truck access).
That last experience has made me me nervous of unplanned right turns.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #6

I would swing into the oncoming lane as you make the turn, traffic permitting of course. If needed, wait for oncoming traffic to clear. You may block traffic for a while, but this is better than running over the curb, or worse. You see large trucks do this all the time.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Hi CountryB,
I really can't tell for sure but I believe I would have no difficulty with my 44' rig on either of those turns. I've been driving class A's for 20 years & I always have my radar on for trouble issues. Like others I will borrow lane space to give myself wider turn space. But my suggestion is to use a GPS that is set up for trucks/busses/RV's and that will greatly limit exposure to areas that would pose problems.
I think your rig has a 60 degree turing angle, whereas my front wheels only turn 45 degrees. Lucky you.

The GPS system for RVs/Trucks is a good idea. I have one of those now. I suppose I should program in my next destination now and see if the GPS unit routes me around this turn.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #8

Mike, the technique I use is to move as far left as I can, watch tail swing as others have said, pull deep into the intersection keeping the wheels straight, then turn right, turning your steering wheel to the max. Avoid making a sweeping turn, instead try to make an L turn. If you go deep into a curve before you turn your steering wheel you ll reduce the chances of hitting your rear wheels on curbs.

Mark
Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Neither one of those turns would be a problem for my MH. I live in a residential neighborhood and even with the tight streets I still have no issues. The key is when to start the turn. I saw a driving video years ago where the turn was initiated when the back of the drivers seat becomes even with the corner.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #10

Mike...relax and don't let this bother you. Take your unit to a large parking lot at night or a church lot during the week and practice with imaginary scenarios. RVing is fun and you will run up on many obstacles you must find a way through. There's really nowhere you can't go if you're confident in your ability to handle the coach. Having to Google your way around will build up unnecessary anxiety. You'll be fine after a while. Caution is the best medicine but with practice, handling your coach will become second hand! Assume all right hand turns will be similar to this one and set yourself up for the turn as you approach the intersection. Many other drivers will expect this and have seen many trucks, buses and other motorhomes do the same thing. Put a sign/sticker on the back right corner of your coach..."Loose Nut Behind The Wheel".
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't imagine reviewing Google maps for every turn on every trip before I go anywhere. I'd sell it and buy a small class B before I'd do that! :-)
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I would swing into the oncoming lane as you make the turn, traffic permitting of course. If needed, wait for oncoming traffic to clear. You may block traffic for a while, but this is better than running over the curb, or worse. You see large trucks do this all the time.
Proper way

Check the CDL manual, enroaching in the lane to your left is a lane violation. There are diagrams that show the way to do it.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. Borrow from the adjacent lane to provide the needed room to make the turn. Take your time - don't rush. Other drivers will recognize your need and give way.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I can't imagine reviewing Google maps for every turn on every trip before I go anywhere. I'd sell it and buy a small class B before I'd do that! :-)
This is just going to be my second trip with this monster.

After the first trip, I thought (and am still thinking) about trading for a smaller rig. A 36 to 38 footer would be okay. But I really like the stability the tag axle provides on the highway.