Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As an ex Pressure Pro distributor/dealer I can say that they recommended solid stems.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Where does one go to get metal tire valves installed so that extenders are not necessary? Since I have an F53 chassis, would I go my local ford dealer? There are no truck shops in my area that I know of.
I put BORG stems on my F53 after having a braided extension leak and ruin a tire. ( not the first time either) I will never use extensions again Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sent an email to Dan Covington ( president of TST ) and here is my email and his response.

Cliff

Good evening Cliff,

I personally run the braided hose extenders. 80% of the time, they function correctly without issue.

There are some lesser quality brands of extenders, and if they are not a quality extender, then there can be system performance issues with them.

The extenders sold through Camping World or Always Shiny Wheels and RV typically perform well with our system.

Thank you!

Daniel Covington
President / CEO
Truck System Technologies, Inc
4250 Keith Bridge Rd.
Suite 200
Cumming, GA 30041
www.tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
FAX (770) 889-9054
Facebook

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Braided valve extensions
Date: Tue, January 08, 2013 6:26 am
To: Tst Dan Covington <dcovington@tsttruck.com>

Hi Dan

Hope all is well.

There is a debate going on about the use of these. Here is a photo of my rear wheel that has had your 510 sensors on for almost three years without a problem. What is TST's opinion on them ?
Thanks
Cliff

Sent from my iPhone

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Each RV owner has the right to choose whatever they want to do to their RV. What works for some does not work for others.

We all have our opinions but it's the OP who posed the questions who is looking for information. Once they read ALL of the OPINIONS on the pros and cons, then they can make an educated decision for themselves.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to various products. That's the beauty of the Internet because there is so much information made available to us now.

It in now in the OP's hand to make their decision whether to use braided extensions or not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It in now in the OP's hand to make their decision whether to use braided extensions or not. Dr4Film ----- Richard
I always try to go as bulletproof as possible whenever I get the opportunity, so I've decided to have a tire shop install rigid valve extensions on my inside dually to eliminate as much as possible any potential for problems. The ost to do so, IMO, is worth the expense and peace-of-mind.

I don't like the 80% success rate that TST noted in his email response to Cliff, I would rather shoot for something a bit more reliable.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post

I always try to go as bulletproof as possible whenever I get the opportunity, so I've decided to have a tire shop install rigid valve extensions on my inside dually to eliminate as much as possible any potential for problems. The cost to do so, IMO, is worth the expense and peace-of-mind.

I don't like the 80% success rate that TST noted in his email response to Cliff, I would rather shoot for something a bit more reliable.

I totally agree, and that's why I recommended NOT to have them, but it's really up to the OP as to what THEY want to do after reading everyone's opinions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar discussion with TST about extenders. Of course, extenders add another place for air to leak out. My extenders are mounted to the hub cover and I had to redo the pop rivets attaching the mounting brackets to the hub so I am not particularly fond of that set up.

Another issue is the temperature sensing of the sensors. I think that any external sensor will have some tendency to heat sink the internal tire temp but long, braided extenders would seem to really do so. As an example, last summer when it was 100*+ I seldom saw rear tire temps get above 115*. That just doesn't make sense. I would expect something more than that.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Another issue is the temperature sensing of the sensors. I think that any external sensor will have some tendency to heat sink the internal tire temp but long, braided extenders would seem to really do so. As an example, last summer when it was 100*+ I seldom saw rear tire temps get above 115*. That just doesn't make sense. I would expect something more than that.
What you have observed with the temps of TIRES taken from an external TPMS sensor is exactly what I have been preaching and recommending to people on iRV2.com. However, there are those that will listen and those that won't. So I now let them discover it for themselves. Some people have actually chose to purchase a certain TPMS solely because it can measure tire temps. Oh well, it's UP to them, their money.

There are NO external TPMS sensors that can accurately measure the temperature of a tire. If the sensor was attached to the inside of the rim, then it would be far more accurate than ANY external TPMS sensor.

People are far better off if they purchase a laser IR Temperature gun and use that to measure both tire and wheel hub temps. The correct place to measure the temperature of each tire is approximately 3-4 inches below where the tread meets the side wall. The correct place to measure the wheel temp is as close to the center where the hub bearings are located.

Again, you are looking for major differences between temps taken on the same side of the RV.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What you have observed with the temps of TIRES taken from an external TPMS sensor is exactly what I have been preaching and recommending to people on iRV2.com. However, there are those that will listen and those that won't. So I now let them discover it for themselves. Some people have actually chose to purchase a certain TPMS solely because it can measure tire temps. Oh well, it's UP to them, their money.

There are NO external TPMS sensors that can accurately measure the temperature of a tire. If the sensor was attached to the inside of the rim, then it would be far more accurate than ANY external TPMS sensor.

People are far better off if they purchase a laser IR Temperature gun and use that to measure both tire and wheel hub temps. The correct place to measure the temperature of each tire is approximately 3-4 inches below where the tread meets the side wall. The correct place to measure the wheel temp is as close to the center where the hub bearings are located.

Again, you are looking for major differences between temps taken on the same side of the RV.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard...

I'm "listening" but I have a question.

I agree that external temp sensors can't be as accurate as those which are internally mounted, but if what we're looking for is "major differences between temps taken on the same side of the RV" does it matter? It seems the temps relative to each other is more important than the accuracy of the absolute temperature.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
They work fine on my coach. I would recommend that you insure your extensions are secured to your wheel covers. A friend had braided extensions installed at the last rally then purchased the TPMS. The installers didn't secure the extensios so the sensors were flopping around, which is no good. We installed the supports that came with the extensions and the installers failed to use.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Richard...

I'm "listening" but I have a question.

I agree that external temp sensors can't be as accurate as those which are internally mounted, but if what we're looking for is "major differences between temps taken on the same side of the RV" does it matter? It seems the temps relative to each other is more important than the accuracy of the absolute temperature.

Rick
In some cases, depending on how MAJOR the difference is, probably not. if the temp is severe enough, by that time your tire is probably well on its way to being toasted well done. Once a tire reaches a certain temperature it starts a self-destructing process which cannot be stopped.

The main thing to remember is that the external sensors will be measuring the tire temps well after the heat has dissipated through various heat sinks along the way to the sensor. Therefore, it really depends on how fast that heat sink process is working.

My previous TPMS, Doran, only measured the sensor temp to prevent the sensor from self-destructing. It had a threshold of 275 F degrees.

I recently purchased a new TPMS from Tire-SafeGuard and have only tested it while parked during the initial installation and programming. It does measure tire temps so once I take my first road trip with it, I will have a better understanding of the temp differences as measured with the sensor versus with the Laser IR Temp gun that I use for the tires and wheel hubs.

It will be interesting to see what I discover.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
TPMS sensors only weigh .3 (that's point three) ounces. Ours have been used for 4 years with no problem.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
TPMS sensors only weigh .3 (that's point three) ounces. Ours have been used for 4 years with no problem.
Which TPMS System are you running?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The TST 507 sensors are 13 grams which converts to .45 OZ.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote