Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Many/most? motor homes are wired so that the generator is started by the house batteries. Winnebago is that way as are the few Fleetwoods friends have.
yep, mine is wired that way. when my coach battery was out but engine battery was full, i had to start engine first and let it run for a few minutes to charge up the coach battery then i could start genset. once genset was up, i turned the engine off.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Genny under load

Just put back my house and chassis batts after 4 months in storage. My understanding is that to exercise the genny it should be under load. So if a/c switches are off no draw is made on the genny thereby defeating the purpose of running it monthly.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Just put back my house and chassis batts after 4 months in storage. My understanding is that to exercise the genny it should be under load. So if a/c switches are off no draw is made on the genny thereby defeating the purpose of running it monthly.

Oman OM says run it under load to dispel the moisture
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your generator starts (and runs) from the house batteries, just make a small jumper wire with alligator clips and jump from the chassis battery side of the boost solenoid to the pick coil.

If that's not possible just use jumper cables across the disconnect solenoids.

There's always a way.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #19

Starting is not the only issue if your gen have an electric fuel pump?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
When you run the genset you need to have it under a load to properly excerise it.
pcfr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #21

If you're looking for a load, fire up the microwave. It's not a huge load, but it's pretty significant. Many people also carry electric heaters on board. Maybe fire that up as well?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Jump the house side to the chassis side and you have the problem solved. I would turn off the inverted charger before doing anything as there will be no house battery and I wouldn't want the alternator and house charger on the same time. I take it your rig is gas, if diesel let it set the winter without start, unless you drive it for an hour your not getting it up to temp. Use the heatpumps to load the gen or take a couple portable heaters along. Should run the gen monthly, not for the motor but for the Electical side to drive out moisture.

LEN

Tags
batteries