Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can I run the Genny without coach batteries connected?

I want to install my engine battery and run my engine and generator. Will anything be damaged or harmed because my coach batterie are not installed? I'm thinking probably not, but I am alway cautious when it comes the the electrical in my motorhome.

Thank you for your input or thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just make sure Steve that the loose battery cable ends are wrapped in rags so as not to come in contact with anything as.... when you start the genset your converters might charge up the cables. Which batteries start your genset? Chassis or house?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Mine will run with the coach batteries disconnected, but shuts off it I cut off the starter batteries.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as the genny runs from the chassis battery and you ensure the house battery cables are isolated, it should be ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what I thought. I keep the coach battery terminals wrapped up for the drive to the storage facility for the winter, so we should be good.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many/most? motor homes are wired so that the generator is started by the house batteries. Winnebago is that way as are the few Fleetwoods friends have.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Many/most? motor homes are wired so that the generator is started by the house batteries. Winnebago is that way as are the few Fleetwoods friends have.

My tiffin generator starts off of the house batteries
Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah I would double check which batteries do what. Most MH's that I have seen keep the Chassis(engine) battery isolated from running anything but the engine. They use the House batteries for starting the generator and running everything else.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #9

I'm curious to why........what is the gen supplying power to? Why are the battery's removed? Just trying to understand the situation before I give a opinion.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I'm curious to why........what is the gen supplying power to? Why are the battery's removed? Just trying to understand the situation before I give a opinion.
He mentioned driving it to storage so my guess would be that he has the house batteries at home on a maintainer or something. Not sure why he would need the gen except heat pumps but who knows?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On many coaches the generator is powered by the house batteries,, Just putting the Chassis (Engine) battery in wont start it.

ON some (however) you can use the Aux/Emergency start or Battery boost button (All different names for the very same button) to parallel the house and chassis systems but see note below

On others that may not work

you can also use a "Jump Pack" (Aldi's sells one about the right size cheap but I like 'em with around 1,000 amps peak) to start the generator and let it run for at least a minute before disconnecting the jumper (you need to make sure the converter is operating or the generator will simply shut off).

NOW, IN ALL CASES, if you remove the HOUSE batteries,, Gather all the POSITIVE wires together and bubble wrap them or other wise insulate them so there is no way on this earth for them to touch any other piece of metal or damage WILL be done.. may be nothing more than a tripped circuit breaker, or blown fuse, but damage will be done. Those wires are "HOT" when the generator is running, also when it is starting.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
That's how mine is wired.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, the motorhome is in storage for the winter, and the batteries are at home on a maintainer for the winter. However, I thought it was a good idea to start the engine and genny every so often and that it wasn't good for them to sit all winter without being run. Now that you guys mention it, I do think the genny starts on the house batteries. Last year, I tried to start the genny off of the engine battery and no go. I could hook the engine battery up to the house battery cables just to start and run the genny for a while. I'm not lugging the house batteries down there for that.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig I can run the Generator engine with the AC breaker off on the genset. Then it is not putting current to my inverter/charger.

So, yes you can run the generator without the batteries connected, unless the batteries are needed to start the generator.

My rig has a separate battery that starts the generator. Some battery is required.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries