Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here's our camp set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	134781  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

We have only had the RV since May and we are only weekend warriors so we are still traveling lite. The awning mat we got at Walmart for a great price and it folds down nice and fits in our pass-through. We have a small smokey joe grill, a camp table that folds down for when the site does not have a picnic table, and also carry three camp chairs. A small cooler rounds it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	marina_dunes_june_2016.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	134789  

Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #17

dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Don't forget a good surge protector!
I feel like a fool- but what is a surge protector? I think of the mulit- outlet thingy that I plug my computer into at home!...
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Hey Jewel, congrats! For the flag stuff, Poles & Holders.com
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
I feel like a fool- but what is a surge protector? I think of the mulit- outlet thingy that I plug my computer into at home!...
There are a couple of different types. One is similar to what you are thinking about. You plug your coach's plug into it and it into the power at the camp site. The other you can directly wire into your coach. Both act as surge suppressors for your RV to protect it again power fluctuations. That and water pressure regulators are good to have if you travel a lot. If you are confident in a few locations that you frequent, you may not need them yet.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #20

Don't get a indoor/outdoor rug. They are horrible to dry and dirt sticks to them. Get the kind with little holes in it and they're a lot easier to clean and dry. Look at Camping World for the type. Those types fold up in a small package. You'll have plenty of room with your new motorhome. 3,000 miles is quite a 'shake-down' trip right off the bat! Good luck.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #21

On the outside rug, we ended up getting a piece of indoor/outdoor (astroturf kind of stuff) carpet. It doesn't weigh much, it's easy to keep clean, dries fast if it gets wet, and it holds up great. Still using it after 15 years!

We have some of the old timey owl lights that we run along the edge of the awing. They put out just the right amount of light to see around the front of the rig but not so much that they blind us or other campers around us.

Folding chairs, we're still using old fashioned lawn chairs that have the webbing. I also have a heavier fold up recliner type chair that i use to relax in. Have fallen asleep in that thing many a time.

A portable tabletop propane grill is nice for those times when we want a steak or something BBQed.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Campsite Setup

Here's a shot of mine. We have 3 little dogs and like to put the mat out to keep the dust/dirt down. I've had it awhile and don't remember the size, but I have seen them in my local Walmart.

I saw someone had suggested a surge protector, and I strongly second that! You can spend a whole bunch of money, or get a more reasonably priced unit.

Here's the one I got, and so far have been pleased with it.
50 amp surge protector

For some reason, my fridge is very sensitive to voltage spikes, and I've had to replace the fuses in it twice. That's when I decided to get the surge protector.

Good luck with your trip and safe travels!

Name:	20160621_075810_HDR.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	134843
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you start out on a 3000 trip with a new rig, I suggest yo spend a couple on nights in a near by R V park to make sure everything is working as it should be. You do not want a big surprise on that long of a trip.

Ken
Old 08-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Before you start out on a 3000 trip with a new rig, I suggest yo spend a couple on nights in a near by R V park to make sure everything is working as it should be. You do not want a big surprise on that long of a trip.

Ken
Excellent advice. I did just that, spent 2 days chasing small water leak, cabinet rattles, tightening TV mounts, learning the plumbing, awning, LP gas and just getting comfortable driving it on the road....It'll also give you a chance to see what else you'll need and what you didn't have to bring.

Last thing I want to do is work on coach while on the road....I understand it happens, but try to weed out the small stuff close to home.

I hope you and your family have a great time! and post a pic of YOUR campsite
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Don't buy too much too fast. I still find stuff that I bought with my first and haven't used in years. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470272903.037675.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	134860
Old 08-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #26

Congratulations on your new rig. Start with the basics that make sense to you.

Certainly some sort of sewage transport system,
I would recommend a good water pressure regulator,
A 25' non-white hose for rinsing your black tank,
Safety triangles,
A good flashlight,
Tire pressure monitoring system,
Comfortable chairs that aren't too big, bulky, or heavy.
If you like to cook outdoors, a BBQ (and tongs, etc.)
A regular door mat to place in front of your entry steps
A bucket, long pole squeegee, baby shampoo, and vinegar for cleaning your windshield,
A broom
A ladder
A dog-bone to step down from 50a to 30a,
A great energy management system to protect your in house electronics from low or excess voltage,
A sense of humor...'cause some days you are going to need one.

The other stuff will make itself known to you as time goes by.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #27

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470280344.066241.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	134868

Don't forget the tool kit.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #28

I'm in the "hold off on buying a lot until you know how your family settles in to the routine" camp. We having a travel trailer, and I've noticed we spend more time outside than inside and we prefer cooking outside. But I've noticed our "camping style" is different than alot of the folks in motorhomes. We had no picture of how we would spend our time and bought some items that turned out to be unnecessary for us. We do use an 8x10 rug, as it helps knock the dirt off our shoes before we go inside. We tend to only use one skillet, so we stopped carrying other cooking vessels with us. We also travel with a lightweight Magma grill. Awning lights are a regular for us as they are not as bright as the leds on the trailer. My biggest weight adding splurge is a canopy tent to add more coverage near the outdoor kitchen in case of rain.

Congratulations!

Tags