Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Can I see pictures of your campsite setup? Newbie

My husband and I are picking up our new (first!) motorhome on Thursday: 2016 Newmar Bay Star 3518. Whooo-hoo!! A week after that we are heading out for two weeks on a 3000+ mile shakedown trip with our three kiddos! That being said, I am in a hurry to make it feel like home. For the campsite I have been looking at outdoor rugs online- they range in sizes..the largest seeming to be 8 X 20- wondering if I only need one of those or if I should get two of a smaller size? Will they even fit in the pass- through storage underneath? Looking for ideas what else I need- picnic table cover, folding side tables, chairs, BBQ...what else? Would love to see what y'all have going on!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Jewels"....I know it's exciting, but don't go too crazy or you'll by a lot of stuff that takes up space and you'll never use. Picnic table stuff is good, cover and maybe some padded seats. It's nice to have a small basket with silverware and napkins that can sit on the table.

Make sure everyone has a comfortable chair, those big loungers look nice, but take up a lot of storage. Depending on where you camp, the mat can have pros and cons. If you have a nice concrete slab, you can put it out and keep it clean, but you have a slab....do you need one. If there is lawn, a lot of places won't let you cover their lawn. If it's dirt, the at works great until you have to clean it and put it away or it rains.

Just some things to think about. Get the basics and buy some stuff on the way if you think you need it. Walmart has a lot of the camping stuff nd they're everywhere.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig is 45' long and has dual awnings almost the whole length. I carry one 8 X 20 patio rug and it's all the two of us need. I carry a small Weber grill and 8 chairs. We very seldom eat outside so but we do carry a couple picnic table covers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
get the large rug make's a great place for the kids to play and get out of the dirt. storage will not be a problem. Enjoy your new unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	134752  
Old 08-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
My husband and I are picking up our new (first!) motorhome on Thursday: 2016 Newmar Bay Star 3518. Whooo-hoo!! A week after that we are heading out for two weeks on a 3000+ mile shakedown trip with our three kiddos! That being said, I am in a hurry to make it feel like home. For the campsite I have been looking at outdoor rugs online- they range in sizes..the largest seeming to be 8 X 20- wondering if I only need one of those or if I should get two of a smaller size? Will they even fit in the pass- through storage underneath? Looking for ideas what else I need- picnic table cover, folding side tables, chairs, BBQ...what else? Would love to see what y'all have going on!
Congratulations, Jules! I read you previous thread. You and your husband did your research and I believe your selection of Newmar vs. the other brand was a very good decision.

Many of the outdoor carpets can be folded and stored easily in a space about 4' long. We like the reversible and washable variety.

No photos to share but don't forget the walkie-talkies, weather radio and first aid kit. A real good fire extinguisher too. We also carry a 10x10 folding canopy, party lights, etc. Anything to make life on the road comfortable and fun. Easy to go crazy on this stuff so we evaluate and buy as we go.

Safe travels!

Julius
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I always make sure the bar is well stocked.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Concrats on your new coach....

I'll play, Hard to see in the pics but i have a 9 X 20' woven indoor/outdoor patio rug I got a Home Depot, like 50 bucks, I have pressure washed it a few times but it seems to hold up well. I use a small easy to carry/store Weber grill, uses small propane gas bottle and takes up very little space.
I use some awning slide in lamp holders by Camco I picked up off Amazon along with some cool little cage lighting.
Folding director chairs as I like a chair with a straight back, DON"T cheese and get some $10 folding chair, get a high quality model.

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #8

We have a carefree duramat. It has worked out well. Water and sand drain right through. Folds up pretty small considering the size. We use smaller rugs at the door.

https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-1820...ds=RV+mat+8x20

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470187229.161635.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	134762

Steve
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Spk64.....I'm digging that flag set up on the rear of your coach....How'd you do that?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
First camping just take the basics. Get a water hose, pressure regulator and sewer hose.

Take food, clothing, dishes, pots, and comfortable chairs for all. Toys for the kids, board games/entertainment if weather does not cooperate.

Find out what you want to do and then equip your unit to do those things. Many things we dream of using will just lay there and occupy space. Wait until the need is truly there.

Could not readily find pictures I was sure I knew the location of. We have leased the same spot for 10 years so have developed a very pleasant location to be at.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Spk64.....I'm digging that flag set up on the rear of your coach....How'd you do that?

It is something I welded up. Aluminum so it is light weight and fits the hitch receiver. For the flag pole I had a standard pole that was damaged at the bottom. So cut a little off and fits perfect all the way across the coach in its own storage compartment.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470188195.520517.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	134763

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470188242.426862.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	134765

Steve
Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Don't forget a good surge protector!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

As far as rugs go, we use the folding type that you can buy at CW or Walmart. I think it's 8X10, and when folded up fits easily in the rear cargo bay that on ours is open all the way across, next to the rear holding tank. We have a couple of pass thru cargo bays it could fit in with no problems. The reason I mention the folding ones, is Dutch Star Don is right, they can be a blessing or a curse, especially when it is on grass, or dirt and it rains. The fold up ones are really easy to fold as you go, sweeping the dirt off each section as you fold it, so you don't drag all the dirt into the storage bay.

Like said take a few trips to figure out what you really need, and if it is something you really need but forgot, you can always run to a Walmart or CW and pick it up. Also a lot of the CG stores stock some of the basics, which can either be a great deal or overpriced. Anyway you look at it, it's all part of the fun and way better than sitting at home.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

I carry a 8x20 rug. I don't know why, we rarely use it. It's only handy if you have dirt as your patio area. However if it rains on it, you're in for a job trying to clean, dry, and fold it back up. Plus it take up a lot of storage room.
Table cloths and the clamps that hold them in place. Those dome shaped mesh screens to keep bugs off your food. Seat cushions for the benches are a must too.
Other things will pop up and you'll decide how important it is to have them, or not.

Tags