Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with hdossett that you should NOT apply window tinting to the face of an interior pane of glass if the window assembly is a dual pane window. This is based on a discussion I had with the staff of Suncoast Designers in Hudson (Tampa), Fl, when i was having my drivers side window repaired due to moisture problems. They strongly discouraged doing any window tinting being applied to the inside glass of a dual pane window because it traps excessive/intense heat and will degrade or damage the seal between the two panes of glass and accelerate the problem of moisture build up between the panes.

Further, I had did the drivers, side window on a prior motorhomes and it really impeded visibility out that window when driving at night, especially when making a left turn or trying to see what was to my immediate left.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jacks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #16

I put a tinted film in the driver and passenger side windows in my previous motor home and regretted it until I traded it. It caused all manner of reflections and made it nearly impossible to see the dash gauges. I would recommend the roll-down sunshades.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a small spring clamp in my engine cover drawer. I pull the windshield curtain forward until the sun is blocked and clamp the curtain in place.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally you will find the law is the same as or similar to it is in the State of Michigan.. So.. Here is Michigan's law.

257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions; windshield
wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically heated windshield or other
device; windshield washer; definitions.
Sec. 709. (1) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle with any of the following:
(a) A sign, poster, nontransparent material, window application, reflective film, or nonreflective film upon
or in the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger, or the
sidewings adjacent to and forward of the driver or front passenger, except that a tinted film may be used along
the top edge of the windshield and the side windows or sidewings immediately adjacent to the driver or front
passenger if the material does not extend more than 4 inches from the top of the windshield, or lower than theshade band, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.
(b) A rear window or side window to the rear of the driver composed of, covered by, or treated with a
material that creates a total solar reflectance of 35% or more in the visible light range, including a silver or
gold reflective film.
(c) A dangling ornament or other suspended object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle,
except as authorized by law.
(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if driver visibility through the rear window is obstructed,
unless the vehicle is equipped with 2 rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator has a clear
view of the highway behind the vehicle.
(3) This section shall not apply to:
(a) The use of draperies, louvers, or other special window treatments, except those specifically designated
in this section, on the rear window, or a side window to the rear of the driver if the vehicle is equipped with 2
outside rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind
the vehicle.
(b) The use of a nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen, or
other decorative window application on the rear window or a side window to the rear of the driver.
(c) The placement of a necessary certificate or sticker that does not obstruct the driver's clear view of the
roadway or an intersecting roadway.
(d) A vehicle registered in another state, territory, commonwealth of the United States, or another country
or province.
(e) A special window treatment or application determined necessary by a physician or optometrist, for the
protection of a person who is light sensitive or photosensitive, if the owner or operator of a motor vehicle has
in possession a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or
application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere
with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), the windshield on each motor vehicle shall be equipped with a
device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield, which device shall be so constructed as
to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle. A vehicle licensed as an historical vehicle is exempt
from this subsection if the vehicle was not originally equipped with such a device. Each windshield wiper
upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.
(5) A truck with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds, a truck tractor, a bus, or a truck regardless of weight
carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is required to be posted pursuant to 49 C.F.R. parts 100 to
199 having a windshield shall be equipped with not less than 2 automatically operating windshield wiper
blades, 1 on each side of the centerline of the windshield, for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the
windshield. The blades shall be in such condition as to provide clear vision for the driver, unless 1 blade is so
arranged as to clean an area of the windshield extending to within 1 inch of the limit of vision through the
windshield at each side. However, in driveaway-towaway operations, this subsection shall apply only to the
driven vehicle. In addition, 1 windshield wiper blade suffices under this subsection when the driven vehicle in
a driveaway-towaway operation constitutes part or all of the property being transported and has no provision
for 2 blades. A truck and truck tractor, manufactured after June 30, 1953, that depends upon vacuum to
operate the windshield wipers, shall be so constructed that the operation of the wipers is not materially
impaired by change in the intake manifold pressure.
(6) A truck with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds, a truck tractor, a bus, or a truck regardless of weight
carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is required to be posted pursuant to 49 C.F.R. parts 100 to
199 shall not be operated on the highways at any time unless it is equipped with a hot air windshield defroster
or an electrically heated windshield or other device to heat and maintain the windshield in operable condition
at all times.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

It's not legal to drive over the posted speed limit but many do, basically it's not illegal until you get caught. For the most part in all my years of travel I've never seen a RV get pulled over for anything. I've been doing it over 30 years and never have come close to getting pulled over. Medium window tinting isn't going to get you pulled over, Limo might tho.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't matter what your home state laws are. There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment laws. You must be legal in every state you go into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
100% completely and utterly wrong.

I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. It's not 100% right or wrong. Sure, you might win a case in one state but lose in another state or win with one judge in a particular state but lose from another judge in that state for the same offense.

From my understanding, there is no reciprocity pertaining to window tint for all states nor is it implied in all states. You can be cited in any state regardless of what state your vehicle is registered. Whether you can win in court is hit and miss and is certainly not something that is guaranteed that you'll win 100% of the time as cucamelsmd15 implies. Sure, he may have won but does that mean everybody will win by disputing it in court? I don't think so. I believe that it is "utterly wrong" to assume so.

This topic has been argued for years on other internet forums and the analogy of the "front license plate" issue also has been brought up continuously in these discussions.

It appears as if courts will easily dismiss the lack of a front license plate as it's not a safety issue. However, window tint is a safety issue especially regarding law enforcement officers who work in that particular state and it appears to me that it is not something that will be dismissed 100% of the time.

A true case of YMMV.

I think I would agree with others to use a tinted device that is held on by velro which can be applied or removed as needed.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #21

i tinted my driver side window with 30% smoke, no longer feeling the sun burn to my left face. if cop tickets me i will take it down otherwise so be it. don't believe they will enforce the tinting law in any state. i did it myself, $10 film from o'reiley auto parts covering left and right.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #22

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I too have the roll up window shades on both sides. They stay up out of the way when I don't need them with clear view out of my window. (great for driving at night) When I do need them I simply pull them down to the distance that I need. I can normally sneek a peek under them when they are pulled down if I really have to. If I have to put them up in a hurry they go up in a snap!!
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

At lowes or Home Depot you can get tint that is safe for dual pane windows. I added that to our coach and it made a huge difference on the interior temp during hot summer days. On the driver side window I added regular car tint since mine is single pane. It's great to get out of the baking sun on long driving days. If needed I can easily remove it. If I get a ticket - so be it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
It's not 100% right or wrong.
It is 100% right or wrong. There is no shade of grey. Lets review, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't matter what your home state laws are. There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment laws. You must be legal in every state you go into.
Please note the bolded. Yes, vehicle equipment. You want to know why the license plate argument is repeatedly brought up? Because its a necessary piece of equipment to operate your vehicle on a state road? Window tint, however, is not.

Moreover, specific types of vehicles, and in particular, motorhomes, are usually exempted from tint laws. Not always, but most the time. For example, NC specifically exempts motorhomes as defined in NCGS 20-4.01 (27) d2.

Regardless, the statement that there is no equipment reciprocity is patently false, which was my original point that you took out of context.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #25

my front side windows a limo tint and it is hard to see out a night, we live in AZ and it really helps. have drive all over and never been stoped.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
It is 100% right or wrong. There is no shade of grey. Lets review, shall we?

Please note the bolded. Yes, vehicle equipment. You want to know why the license plate argument is repeatedly brought up? Because its a necessary piece of equipment to operate your vehicle on a state road? Window tint, however, is not.

Moreover, specific types of vehicles, and in particular, motorhomes, are usually exempted from tint laws. Not always, but most the time. For example, NC specifically exempts motorhomes as defined in NCGS 20-4.01 (27) d2.

Regardless, the statement that there is no equipment reciprocity is patently false, which was my original point that you took out of context.

Nope, you CAN get cited for having a window tint darker than is allowable in the state you're traveling through.

You may or may not be able to beat it in court. You did. It does not mean that 100% of the people that are cited for a window tint violation who are driving vehicles registered in another state will beat it as you are implying.

If you can show me an agreement of reciprocity between all states regarding window tinting, I may tend to agree with you but I'm betting you can't.

As for front license plates, they are not required in all states. You claim they are a necessary piece of operating equipment? Rear plates are, not front plates.

I still don't agree that there is complete reciprocity in all states regarding window tinting. Sure, the chances of getting cited in a motorhome are extremely rare but it is not a 100% given that one will not be cited for having tint too dark and if so cited, it's not a 100% given that one will be able to argue that just because they are legal in their home state that they are legal in the state they were cited.

So, yes, I contend that nothing is 100% on this. You have your opinion, I have mine. We both are entitled to express our opinion.

Argue away; I'm through.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Nope, you CAN get cited for having a window tint darker than is allowable in the state you're traveling through.
Sure, you can. Ive never said otherwise, because window tint (as I stated in post 24) is not a piece of equipment.
Quote:
You may or may not be able to beat it in court. You did. It does not mean that 100% of the people that are cited for a window tint violation who are driving vehicles registered in another state will beat it as you are implying.
Lets be clear, thats what YOU are implying. Youre twisting what I previously posted to fit your argument. But if youll notice, both the NC and VA statue I cited in my court case both specifically referenced required equipment, not window tint.
Quote:
If you can show me an agreement of reciprocity between all states regarding window tinting, I may tend to agree with you but I'm betting you can't.
Again, twisting my original post, which was about equipment to suit your argument. Youre taking my original post out of context, which is fine, because youre wrong.
Quote:
As for front license plates, they are not required in all states. You claim they are a necessary piece of operating equipment? Rear plates are, not front plates.
I dont claim anything, the state DMV does. In VA, the state requires a front plate as a necessary piece of operating equipment. The state statute is clear on this (VA 46.2-715). However, cars registered in other states need not have a front plate unless their state requires it, because states reciprocate. Again, that was my original argument, in reply to the original post about equipment, and you have somehow twisted it around for your argument of window tinting. Non sequitur.
Quote:
I still don't agree that there is complete reciprocity in all states regarding window tinting. Sure, the chances of getting cited in a motorhome are extremely rare but it is not a 100% given that one will not be cited for having tint too dark and if so cited, it's not a 100% given that one will be able to argue that just because they are legal in their home state that they are legal in the state they were cited.

So, yes, I contend that nothing is 100% on this. You have your opinion, I have mine. We both are entitled to express our opinion.

Argue away; I'm through.
Yeah, no. You have your opinion (which is factually incorrect, by the way) and I have the law. Youre right, youre welcome to express your opinion all you want, up to and including in front of a judge, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the law says.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
It's not legal to drive over the posted speed limit but many do, basically it's not illegal until you get caught. For the most part in all my years of travel I've never seen a RV get pulled over for anything.
In my years of travel (4 years full time and well. .. many part time) I too have never seen a Motor Home pulled over less it had mechanical problems or other "Non police" issues.

However in my years as a police dispatcher (not traveling but sitting at a desk) I became aware of a number of such traffic stops. Including some for "TV where Driver can see it" type stops.

We do get stopped on occasion.

BUT: Most RV drivers (not all) Tend to drive a bit slower and more careful.. This may be due to the large number of digits in our vehicle's sticker price., I mean, when I get my car back next week (It does not yet have a tow bar on it or I'd have it now) The sticker price on the car is somewhat less than the DOWN PAYMENT on this motor home, You bet I'm more careful driving the house.

Still, that has nothing to do with this thread.

I will state that I have seen many cars that came from the factory with tinted driver's side windows. EVEN driven one. One would think the factory would not ship them illegally.. but they did.

Tags
window