Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Let's please take a breath and knock off the bickering folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #30

An friend of mine's kid, got his first car and decided to tint all 4 windows of his Nissan. I told him not to

2 weeks later, 4 tickets at $90 each...plus a 22 dollar "surcharge" of each ticket in NY

Ouchhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbinky View Post
The sun beats in the drivers side picture window and I feel like a roasted turkey after driving. ?? Can I tint the window is it legal ?? I dont want to limo black but smoke would be great. Has anyone else had this problem.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #31

I remember in the early 60s when tint came in a spray can. Mask everything and spray heavy enough for it to run down the whole window.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #32

I saw a neat trick while in the cockpit of a commercial airliner. As the pilots change planes regularly a temporary solution was needed to the direct sunlight. Some of them have a 12"x12" piece of tinted plastic which they wet on one side and stick to the window. When not in use it rolls up nicely in their flight bag. Just an idea.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I remember in the early 60s when tint came in a spray can. Mask everything and spray heavy enough for it to run down the whole window.
I remember that stuff!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #34

Those little roll up window shades for the kiddies works great, they are held in place by suction cups and you can move around to block the sun and remove if pulled over by the LEO who didn't get his donut!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I had my driver's window tinted with medium tint when I lived in CA and have been in 20 states with no problems. If I would have used the limo tint, (dark) I would have probley gotten a ticket. The medium works well and really helps but the darker the better.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #36

Some cops carry refraction meters and will measure a tint if in question. In AZ, I think 35% is the legal limit. Don't remember if that 35% was pass or block?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #37

One more thought on window film...seek out the newest technology film that has "nano" technology. You can have a 70% or 60% film applied (meaning it reduces the visible light by 30 to 40%) and will block approximately 40% of the total solar energy and will pass most if not all state laws and will not effect your dual pane windows as it absorbs less than 50% of the sun's energy (it reflects the rest). This is the same technology that works on residential dual pane windows with a low e coatings, etc...
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
No kidding? That's so weird. Here it doesn't, in Alberta you can tint the windows, in Sask you can't. But an Alberta person can drive their car here.

So what happens if you drive a car from Kentucky into California? Can they impound your car if it doesn't pass their emissions tests? Yikes, that's gotta suck. With State laws being so different about requirements you'd think that would be a no-brainer.
Nope, CA allows tourists to come and spend their money there. They just don't like their own citizens! If you moved there and tried to register your out of state vehicle you'd find they must be CA smog compliant or it you're a CA resident and "import" a vehicle from out of state it has to be CA smog compliant.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #39

I've had every vehicle of mine tinted, including the MH, for over 20 years now and never been stopped and I live in California. But I always tint 20% front and 50-60% everywhere else. Now they have a new film that's totally optically clear and blocks 100% uv rays so no heat at all comes through. Unfortunately it's very expensive but worth it. I'm contemplating having the windshield done in it in fact.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
I've had every vehicle of mine tinted, including the MH, for over 20 years now and never been stopped and I live in California. But I always tint 20% front and 50-60% everywhere else. Now they have a new film that's totally optically clear and blocks 100% uv rays so no heat at all comes through. Unfortunately it's very expensive but worth it. I'm contemplating having the windshield done in it in fact.
Do you have a link to this, or more info?
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
Problem is that it doesn't block the actual light for those of us that have light sensitive eyes like I do. When I got my first pair of hard contact lenses (1962) I was told my eyes let in too much light so I needed to wear sunglasses most of the time during daylight. Nice at night as my vision is good then and no sunglasses needed.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I saw a neat trick while in the cockpit of a commercial airliner. As the pilots change planes regularly a temporary solution was needed to the direct sunlight. Some of them have a 12"x12" piece of tinted plastic which they wet on one side and stick to the window. When not in use it rolls up nicely in their flight bag. Just an idea.
Still available too, saw it just last night in a flyer from one of the online companies.

Tags
window