Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Can I tint the drivers side window

The sun beats in the drivers side picture window and I feel like a roasted turkey after driving. ?? Can I tint the window is it legal ?? I dont want to limo black but smoke would be great. Has anyone else had this problem.
jcbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Yup, you can tint anything you want.

Your problem comes in when the police pull up. Is it legal in your state or province? In some states it's legal to a certain percentage, some you can't at all. At one time in my province you could tint all but the drivers door. Of course, remember when you tint, at night it will be even darker when you're trying to back up.

You'll need to look up the laws in your home state/province and find out.
Raist11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

I want to do ours as well. The top window is tinted. I want to do the bottom ones on both sides to match the top. This would be legal in most states. I want to do the top half of the windshield also in the same tint. I'm just so darn picky I hate to let anybody do it.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Try to sit behind the wheel of a coach that has those tinted windows, it adds a totally different look in that some act as a mirror and makes viewing very difficult. Look into the solar shades
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
You'll need to look up the laws in your home state/province and find out.
Doesn't matter what your home state laws are. There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment laws. You must be legal in every state you go into.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Not in California. :-(
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't matter what your home state laws are. There is no reciprocity on vehicle equipment laws. You must be legal in every state you go into.
No kidding? That's so weird. Here it doesn't, in Alberta you can tint the windows, in Sask you can't. But an Alberta person can drive their car here.

So what happens if you drive a car from Kentucky into California? Can they impound your car if it doesn't pass their emissions tests? Yikes, that's gotta suck. With State laws being so different about requirements you'd think that would be a no-brainer.
Raist11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Our MH has those sun screens that pull down like the old roller-blinds. They work pretty well actually. I can still see out but it blocks most of the suns heat. In low-visibility, or when the sun is on passenger-side, I raise the "screen" to see better.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Our MH has those sun screens that pull down like the old roller-blinds. They work pretty well actually. I can still see out but it blocks most of the suns heat. In low-visibility, or when the sun is on passenger-side, I raise the "screen" to see better.
We have them on both sides, even though they are pretty dark they still pass the legal requirements since they can be retracted. If they were film stuck on the window they would be a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbinky View Post
The sun beats in the drivers side picture window and I feel like a roasted turkey after driving. ...
Drive in the other direction!

If your windows are dual pane, you can not tint them, the heat build up will crack them. I have had that happen to my garage window, SO put something up against the glass to block the sun from her workbench, when she removed it the inside pane was cracked! I had known it would but just did not think about it in time!

After that I put a sun screen up on the outside to block the light and heat for her. The RV windows are factory tint, but we still use a suction stick-on screen when driving west on winter afternoons. That the only time it bothers me.

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #11

I don't know if it is still the same, but years ago, if the cop in Flagstaff didn't like your tint, he would stop you, give you a single sided razor blade and wait for you to remove the tint.

I Velcro one of those reflective window shades to the top of my window.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talk to a couple local window tinting places, they know what is ok and what is not. I had my previous coach done, and it's on the to-do list for current coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
100% completely and utterly wrong.

I was issued an exhaust "fix-it" ticket in Virginia beach by an overzealous cop. Nevermind the fact that my exhaust on the car was 100% stock, and well within the legality of NC law, he issued the ticket anyway.

On the day of court, it went something like this:

Judge: "Youve been charged with violating VA title 46.2-1049, which is operating a motorvehicle without an exhaust system in good working order. What is your plea?"

Me: "Not guilty, your honor"

Judge: "Officer, please state your issuance for the record"

*officer describes issuing the ticket*

Judge: "Sir, do have a rebuttal?"

Me: "Yes, your honor. Please the court, Id like to enter NCGS 20-128, which is almost identical to VA title 46.2-1049. In addition, Id like to reference VA 46.2-655, which states that the Commonwealth of Virginia extends the privileges of operating a motor vehicle within the Commonwealth, provided that it conforms to the resident state laws and that state offers reciprocity with the Commonwealth. Your Honor, as the state of North Carolina does offer reciprocity to the Commonwealth, and with this recent North Carolina Safety and Emissions inspection shown here, dated a mere 7 days prior to this recorded offense, I believe this ticket to have been issued in error. The Safety and Emissions inspection shows ipso facto that my car was legal at the time of the "offense", and I request that the ticket be dismissed pursuant to VA 46.2-655."

Judge: "Sir, Im not sure I follow. The officer issued you a ticket for a defective exhaust. Are you meaning to tell me that your exhaust was not defective?"

Me: "Yes, your Honor."

Judge: "Im not sure Im buying that, son. I think you're misinterpreting the statute on reciprocity."

Me: "Im sorry your Honor. Allow me to restate my case differently. Where might I obtain a Virgina front license plate for my vehicle registered in North Carolina?"

Judge: "Dismissed."

The moral of the story is, if you are compliant with your home state laws, you are good to go.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I attached a small strip of Velcro to the side curtains and to the forward frame of the sliding windows. When the sun is coming in the windows I slide the curtain halfway closed and keep it there with the Velcro. The outside mirrors are not obstructed. I have a sun shade attached to the forward half of the side window with suction cups. This is mounted on the upper half of the window and does not obstruct the mirror.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window