Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Can I wire my Intelli Power 9000 to also charge my engine battery?

I have a new to me 1996 Fleetwood Flair 22', P-30/454. The previous owner had installed tne PD-9055 (55 amps) Progressive Dynamics converter. The coach also has a 45 watt solar panel that charges the two deep cycle house batteries when boondocking.

I must have a pretty good parasitic load on the engine battery which is brand new. After driving from TN to Manitoba and parking for 5 days, then engine battery was dead. We are hooked to shore power, but it does not charge the engine battery, only the house. In reading then PD paperwork it says it is capable of charging multiple batterys. So, has anyone wired their PD to also charge the engine battery and if so how did you go about it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #2

Install something like this with the appropriate cables and you'll be home free.

But I'd check for parasitic drain first. Your chassis battery is discharging through the wiring or itself.

This little doo-dad is on my wish list for next summer, especially if I spend another summer in a campground on shore power.

Products - DC Power Management - Intelligent battery charging - The BIRD gas with Aux start

The BIRD gas with Aux start

Part number: 00-01000--000
Description:
Intellitec’s Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay ( BIRD ) GAS offers a new approach to charging batteries in an RV application. Unlike prior systems that only allowed charging the RV battery from the engine’s alternator, the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay charges both batteries when either one is being charged. When the coach is being driven, both batteries will be charged from the engine’s alternator. When the coach is plugged into shore power, both batteries will be charged from the converter. If neither battery is being charged, the batteries are fully isolated. The controller also senses heavy loads on either battery to prevent the wrong battery from being inadvertently discharged.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

OTM, I hear you on finding the drain, and I will do that asap. However, I think my alternator also charges the house battery's and has an isolator to prevent the engine battery from being used when boondocking. So would not the BIRD be overkill just to get myengine battery to charge when hooked to the shore? It really is a neat isolator......I like!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motor7,
You may want to post the question in the Fleetwood owners forum to see if others with a coach like yours has the chassis battery charging built into the Battery Control Center (BCC). If it does the problem normally is a bad interconnect solenoid. On my coach when connected to shore power, once the coach batteries are fully charged, I think 13.2 volts the BCC closes the interconnect solenoid to charge the chassis battery.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

Ok Boone, I'll do that too....
Old 12-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know if this applies to your coach, says it's for all Fleetwood products doesn't say how early though. If it doesn't and your BCC is made by RV Custom Products give them a call. They will email the troubleshooting guide and schematic for your BCC. They will need the P/N and revision number on your board.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Customs BCC with Chassis Disconnect.pdf (314.2 KB, 46 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

Thanks for those wiring diagrams. Looks like a BIRD, or even cheaper/easier would be to permanantly wire in a Battery Tender to the engine Bat. Stink over on the Fleetwood subforum confirmed that my year model was not set up to charge the engine Bat from shore.

It was -27C here last night, so any parasitic draw would really run one down quick.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If those are not for your BCC you should call RV Custom Products to get them for yours just to have for any future problems that may arise with the BCC.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

I found an easy solution for this....the Trik-L-Start battery charger. It charges the engine battery off the house batterys as long as sufficient current is available such as shore power and/or solar. $35.75 shipped from Rvupgrades.com
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/mobil...ctCode=TLS-OEM
Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google Trick-L-Start, simple 3 wire hookup to your isolator relay, does just exactly what you wish.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Most Fleetwood coaches are designed to charge the chassis battery from the house charging system, so you need to investigate yours further. There should be a battery control center and a relay that closes when needed to do that. But it may be easier to just layer on an add-on that does the monitoring and charging for you. An inexpensive solution is the Trik-L-Start and more sophisticated ones are the Magnum Smart Combiner and Xantrex Echo Charger.

I added a Echo Charger after my Intellitec BCC blew two circuit boards in 3 years, resulting in no chassis charging each time. If I had it to do over again, I would go for the Smart Combiner instead. The Trik-L-Start, though, meets all the basic needs at a very attractive price. All of them are a fairly easy install.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power