Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Can National General do this?

So in May, on our way to Maine for the summer, going through PA on the Turnpike Hwy, there was a thick 3' x 4' x 1" yellow metal door laying in the right lane and I could not avoid it. Straddled it with the MH fine but when it came to our toad, it popped up hitting the engine and created a 8" hole in the engine. National General jumped right on it, replaced the engine, 2.5 weeks to do it a Ford Dealer 4 miles down the road. Ok we're good to go. On to Maine.

Fast forward 3 weeks...

Now in Maine, our Policy is now up for renewal. Yep this engine thing happened about 30days before we were up for renewal. National General emailed me a link to our new quote and was same as it was last year. I emailed back and forth to our rep about the new quote and a couple of other questions about our Agreed Value and everything there went fine. She even said, "well even with your At Fault Accident in PA the good news is your policy didn't go up".

So, I wait 2 weeks to pay in full to get finances in place. Still have 3 weeks till it's due. Went online today to pay it, logged in and whoops-se-daisy premium just went up to an additional $1,400 than was quoted June 1st. I just sent her an email and asked her what's up with this? Haven't heard back yet.

Can they do this? Is there anything I can do to hold them to what they quoted me 12 days ago or just go insurance shopping again?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

They can do whatever they want. They dumped me because of 3 claims I never completed. Repair was less $$ than the deductible
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they can do this. You can always say No. They're either betting you won't or hoping you will.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yep. Everytime I get an insurance quote when they actually process it the amount is different. They should be legally obligated to stick to the quote but they are not.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

So, let's say I would of paid it the day I received the emailed quote. Would they still be able to come back within the renewal period and say "Oh Boy there is in fact an increase of $1,400. Sorry! Or would they of been locked in on what they quoted and what I paid?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
So, let's say I would of paid it the day I received the emailed quote. Would they still be able to come back within the renewal period and say "Oh Boy there is in fact an increase of $1,400. Sorry! Or would they of been locked in on what they quoted and what I paid?

They could and would send you a bill for the additional amount. If you declined to pay the increase, they would cancel your policy on the renewal date and refund any monies already paid.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #7

So we actually got our National General (NG) Policy through Miller Insurance and my rep there got back with me last night and said, "regardless of any claim activity the carrier took rate increases in your state". So what's she's saying here is, the claim concerning the incident on the PA Turnpike really didn't have much if any effect. NG had rate increases in our state which is Texas. We're are Escapees.

She's going to get back with me by Thursday with some other options.

IMO, It all started when Harvey hit Texas a couple of years ago and then here lately Texas has been hit with more bad weather causing more loses. We are hardly ever in Texas now but I guess it doesn't matter.

We've thought of moving our domicile to Florida but they hurricanes all the time, and then the other option is South Dakota but I think I heard somewhere lately that, South Dakota isn't working out so well for a lot of people but can't remember the details why.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They can change a quote (offer) up until the time you accept it (pay money) at which time it is a contract. I suspect your claim had not filtered over to underwriting by the first quote.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
First four rules of insurance companies:

1) Deny
2) Deny
3) Deny
4) See rule number one.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's my impression they can do whatever they want, even after you pay. I had a run of bad luck and my vehicles were involved in three accidents in about six months. Not only were none of them my fault, in two out of the three, my vehicle was legally parked and unoccupied. I was sitting at a stop sign in the third. I had Germania insurance and they were very conservative and told me they would no longer insure my Mitsubishi Eclipse because it was a "Sports" car.

I shopped around and ended up at State Farm. They only asked me about my "at fault" accidents in the last three years and tickets. I had no tickets and zero at fault accidents and told them so. I paid for the policy and about six weeks later got cancelled because of "activity" against my vehicles, which they claimed I never disclosed. Well, they were right, but the agent didn't ask that question. They did tell me they were cancelling me at the end of the month so I had 3 weeks to find other insurance.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I had a run of bad luck and my vehicles were involved in three accidents in about six months.
WOW. Man that hurts.

When we hit that metal plate in the road they fixed the engine with no problem but classified the claim as 'At Fault". I discussed with her about this and I'm like, "how is this my fault". I did nothing wrong. Wrong place wrong time thing. She said it's the same thing as if I was driving in snow or ice...slide off the road and hit a tree. "At Fault". Just not fair in my book.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
WOW. Man that hurts.

When we hit that metal plate in the road they fixed the engine with no problem but classified the claim as 'At Fault". I discussed with her about this and I'm like, "how is this my fault". I did nothing wrong. Wrong place wrong time thing. She said it's the same thing as if I was driving in snow or ice...slide off the road and hit a tree. "At Fault". Just not fair in my book.

I had a car pull out in front of me while driving on a two lane hwy with 55 MPH speed limit. Sun was low behind me, and he didn't see me. I had just enough time to swerve around him and into the ditch, which was a concrete spillway. At 50 MPH, it didn't end well. No citation issued to the other driver (small town, knew cop) and single vehicle accident = at fault. Had I hit him, I would have probably killed him, but then he would have been at fault. Since then, I run a dashcam 24/7.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
WOW. Man that hurts.

Yeah, hit twice while parked, the other driver's insurance paid both times. Sitting at a stop sign and got hit by a kid driving someone else's car. The owner claimed the kid didn't have permission to drive it so their insurance said it wasn't their problem. My recourse was to sue the kid which would have netted me nothing. My uninsured motorist paid for that one.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Yeah, hit twice while parked, the other driver's insurance paid both times. Sitting at a stop sign and got hit by a kid driving someone else's car. The owner claimed the kid didn't have permission to drive it so their insurance said it wasn't their problem. My recourse was to sue the kid which would have netted me nothing. My uninsured motorist paid for that one.
Are you a traveling Full Timer? I see you're in Texas. What insurance co. did you finally end up landing with this year?

Tags
national