Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can New Chassis Battteries Do This?

There's no denying I'm a complete noob to RV's, so if I'm crazy or just imagining things go right ahead and say it

I posted a few days ago that a sulfur smell lead to me discover I had cooked one of my chassis batteries - it was really hot and bulging. Then, I discovered that not only were they under-powered for the coach specs (925 cca's instead of 950) but they weren't even matched up... the hot one was only 850 cca's! It's not hard to understand why it got cooked.

Naturally, I replaced them both with brand new 950 cca group 31's. Driving the RV today for the first time since I replaced them, I noticed right away that the coach fired right up in only about a second or so of cranking, as opposed to 3-4 seconds with the old batteries. That's no surprise.

Here's the crazy part:

The coach ran smoother. It shifted smoother. The throttle felt more responsive. The gauges didn't dance like they used to - which I had attributed to funky old analog gauges just doing what they do.

So... am I crazy? Am I imagining things? I'm a such a noob that I'm just making this up in my head? Or... can a properly running electrical system have that much impact on performance?

Give it to me straight, I can take it

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

My guess is you improved the battery connections when you replaced the batteries. Old ones were probably some what corroded.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

You got it, the cooked battery could have been shorting internally , sucking the life out of the other one.

With mismatched batteries, it looks like someone changed 1 of a pair.

If one fails, the other is not far beyond.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
"The coach ran smoother. It shifted smoother..."

You are not crazy. It's a well-known fact that a freshly washed/waxed coach runs much better than a dirty one. I have no doubt new batteries have the same effect.

Years ago, I learned that red skis are much faster than any other color, so; no, you're no crazier than I am.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Years ago, I learned that red skis are much faster than any other color, so; no, you're no crazier than I am.
I KNEW IT! Now all I have do is to convince the wife and all will be right with the world once again

Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's an answer a bit closer to reality. Computer controlled vehicles entered the market place in 1980. They have become more and more complex and more items are controlled by those computers.

In the beginning (1980) sensors like the TPS (throttle position sensor) did not use 12 volts as a reference voltage because it was not always going to be a guaranteed steady 12 volts. To combat that possible issue most sensors use a voltage much lower. In the case of a TPS it's a 5-V reference voltage to the CPU. When at idle it's usually around .7 or .8 volts. At WOT (wide open throttle) it's usually 4.8 to 4.9 volts.

The computers/sensors need steady reference voltages to control outputs. If your voltage supply starts dropping below 12, 11, 10, 9 etc the computers start doing strange things. As a matter of fact if your alternator were to suddenly fail as you drive things not required to keep you running will begin to shut down. Things like heater/dash AC blower motors, radio's, etc. It does that to conserve power to run the ignition and fuel system. Also as twinboat mentioned when batteries are mismatched and one is failing it acts like a high resistance or drain on the other one so the problem is compounded. You were experiencing your smart computers response to low and varying supply voltages.

TeJay
Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You were experiencing your smart computers response to low and varying supply voltages.
Thanks, TeJay! It's nice to know I probably wasn't imagining all of it

Old 06-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Thanks, TeJay! It's nice to know I probably wasn't imagining all of it
You weren't imagining all of it... just some of it and yes, a red car will go faster than any other car as long as it's freshly washed and waxed. That's a scientific fact as I recall.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
You weren't imagining all of it... just some of it and yes, a red car will go faster than any other car as long as it's freshly washed and waxed. That's a scientific fact as I recall.
"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus"

"Everything on the internet is true" Abe Lincoln
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
"Everything on the internet is true" Abe Lincoln
Well, if Honest Abe said it, that's good enough for me!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Honest" Abe. REALLY!! Remember, he was a politician!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

The bulging can be caused by a shorted cell...that changes the battery from a 12v to a 10v...so when the alternator is charging at 14.2v the 10v battery is being overcharged considerably... and is the source of the bulging....and this causes a disruption in the constant voltage and amperage needed to run the vehicle.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, Boss. That explains it in a new way for me, and it makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your old batteries (Well the hot one) may have been sucking enough power that the voltage was a bit low in the system... This would have resulted in the ECM not feeling all that well.

The ECM and and it's frind the TCM (Transmission control module) control most all aspects of your drive,,and control the gauges.. Both can be bothered by low voltage or high noise power (Alternator whine from an overloaded alternator)

So yes. the batteries can do that.

IT might also be a perception issue.. but I'm voting for batteries.

Tags
chassis