Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #183

Thor Owners Club
In 34 years of service I have yet to search a motorhome. But I know of more than one call regarding a stolen motorhome/car/truck that was recovered because when the motorhome/car/truck was stopped the right questions were asked. And really...Have any of you had your rig searched where you felt it was a fishing expedition? Of course there are those that will swear it happend...but really folks.....I personally have lots of other things to do which are a lot more interesting. Be nice to see a comment about how an officer helped you out. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #184

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
...Have any of you had your rig searched where you felt it was a fishing expedition?...
Thank you for your service. FWIW, I think cops should get performance/incentive based bonus pay. For instance, HP cops should be paid bonuses based on the aggrigate safety of the highway zones they patrol. For instance, if your beat has a lower than average accident rate for the month, you get a bonus. This will get the cops out of their radar trap hiding places and out on patrol where they make a real safety difference. I digress, all this is off topic for the thread, and the forum.

To answer your question, yes, I have had my car searched, and it absolutely WAS a fishing expedition. It was many years ago, and it was probably because I looked like a "hippy". I was a live sound engineer, and had just finished a show at a local night club. I was exhausted, on my way home, had not been drinking, when I was pulled aside at a 'random harrassment' roadblock for further unreasonable, no-probable-cause scrutiny. Just looked like a hippy in my 1974 Pinto. They made me touch the nose, walk the line, etc, which I passed. Then they took everything out of my car, laid it all on the ground, and after a while, told me I was free to go. They just walked away, leaving me to pack it all back up. They took from me an hour of my life that I will never get back. They also took from their fellow officers, my trust. That was the day I decided I needed to know, and assert, my rights.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #185

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never been stopped in my MH. I did however clip one of my mirrors going through a toll booth in MD. A State Trooper just happened to be there to see this and when I pulled over to check on things he pulled up behind me. Of course he reported that there was no damage to the States property and ask me about mine, which there was none, he offered me an accident report if I need one which I thankfully declined.
I have to say it was a pleasant experience no issues. He ask me about the coach and how I liked it and told me he was thinking of getting one to do some traveling with his family. He asked afew questions in regards to purchase and we then bid our farewells and went our seperate ways.
He was a nice guy and I appreciated his concern in the incident.

I by no means am anti police, as stated several times in this post there are good ones and bad ones. I have many friends who are LEO and my nephew is a County Sheriffs Deputy so I do shall I say have an inside view
on things.
But I will take my stance if I begin to feel that an issue involving police activities is bogus and nonsense.

just my thoughts..........
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
And really...Have any of you had your rig searched where you felt it was a fishing expedition? Of course there are those that will swear it happend...but really folks.....
Fred, I support and fully cooperate with law enforcement. Law enforcement is a very tough job that takes a smart person to do right and stay safe. No, if you read my previous post on here, my rig was not searched. Only when I asked for the officer's supervisor to join us on the side of the road did the need to search my rig change, and I was "free to go". Being stopped to advise me that one of four taillights was out I understood and appreciated. I was cordial, respectful, and cooperative. Asking to search the coach (and wake those inside) in the middle of the night I did not understand or consent to. The officer could not articulate the need to search it, just wanted to. When I refused, the officer did not write an equipment violation or repair order, or allow me to drive about 1/4 mile to a truck stop, but told me that the light being out made my coach unsafe to operate on an Ohio roadway and radioed for it to be towed! While waiting, I got it working, but was told it would still need to be towed as the tow truck had already been dispatched and was on the way. Again the officer requested to search the coach. I asked for a supervisor to join us, and the officer's need to search or tow our coach suddenly changed to us being "free to go". I think the officer's inability to articulate a reason to search our coach and the change of tune would place that attempted search in the 'fishing expedition" category. It really happened. I have a good friend who is well respected in upper management of a large national corporation who was in the coach. We still talk about it from time to time.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #187
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have this sinking feeling this is starting to go past the realm of the intent of the original post.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #188
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR
I have this sinking feeling this is starting to go past the realm of the intent of the original post.
I was sinking with you. Oh well it was a good thread while it lasted.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #189

Hey All!

Found this forum via Google search after I was stopped today in the mid west...second time in 4 months...with CA plates!

I pretty much full time as I work out of my toy hauler moving bikes around, going from CA to midwest and back. My toy hauler is more of a car hauler with living quarters, very low key.

Today was paced by a state trooper, then about 10 mins later pulled over by a city K9 cop who said my lane change (moved over from exit only lane) was unsafe...um ok.

Gave him all paperwork, everything reg'd, insured and in my name, then he said just going to be a warning and "come on back" to sit in his cruiser.

Inside the cruiser pax seat I waited for 15 mins as they looked up everything on me, asked me if I had seen anything suspicious on my travels, said that i 80 was a big narcotics route from Denver to Chicago.

Pasted on the glove box in front of me was a sticker that said "if I was an innocent motorist sitting here I would receive a warning and be on my way, but on the other hand if I had illegal drugs, contraband or cash on me I had better tell the officer now"...as they could help me!!!!

Anyways, all my stuff came back clean, officer wrote the warning, handed me everything and then asked me before I left if I was sure I did not have drugs. NO came the reply..."can I search your trailer?" NO! Not good enough, he then pulled his dog out who went down one side of the trailer and supposedly "hit" in two places.

Officer came back, said dog has detected controlled substances and he is going to search my trailer, called for backup.

Anyways, after another 35 mins with no drugs found (motorcycles not drugs like I told you!) I am on my way.

Anyways, my point is, I violated no traffic laws, had no drugs, am clean cut, former military, law abiding all my stuff in order and they still violated my rights and made up a story to get probable cause.

I hate to say this, I really do, but after watching what has happened over the last 10 years...hell last 30 really, we are slowly becoming a Police State. Notice how the cops are outfitted now, more and more looking like military (and most cops are ex military now!) The Drug War is a failure, and today I was caught up in it...doing nothing wrong (except having CA plates).

I did not sign up to bash cops, just Google "drug dog search RV" and this thread is right at the top....I have heard about this stuff, just did not think it could happen to me....it was obvious as I exited the cruiser that the whole pull over was not about a legitimate traffic stop (why would you seat me in front of that sign?) but about fishing and hoping they would get a score.

For some time now I have worried about the Police State and the corrupt Federal Gov't, the TSA, Homeland Security, endless wars....today was my wake up call.

I sincerely hope none of you have to experience what I did today. Having an officer insinuate that you have drugs and are hiding something left me sick to my stomach.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #190
laj

As my attorney's have said be afraid, be very afraid. Cops are not your friends, and not their to help you. It's only going to get worse from here on
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #191

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxRV View Post
I sincerely hope none of you have to experience what I did today. Having an officer insinuate that you have drugs and are hiding something left me sick to my stomach.
I'm sorry this happened to you. One of the following happened here:

1) You had drugs the dog alerted to, but the cops were unable to find.
2) You had drug residue (scent) the dog alerted to from your last haul.
3) The dog alerted to something else.
4) The dog didn't alert, but the cop thought he did.
5) The dog didn't alert, but the cop said he did anyway.

Discounting 1 and 2 above per your assertion, we have a defective equipment issue.

- If the dog is alerting to jerky treats or tennis balls, he needs re-training, or dismissal.
- If the cop misinterpreted the alert, HE needs re-training, or dismissal.
- If the dog didn't alert, but the cop said he did anyway, he needs harsh punishment, public humiliation, and dismissal or procecution.

A cop searching your vehicle without your consent is a big deal. Problem is, most people will just take this sort of abuse of power and never speak of it again. Maybe because they're afraid of reprisal, maybe out of complacency, maybe because they believe this is how cops SHOULD coduct their business.

If this had happened to me, I would agressively follow up to see that some resolution to this problem was found. I would have gotten the names and badge numbers of all involved (dog included). I would have set up camp in the area, gotten the dash-cam video and audio of the stop, and I would be talking to a lawyer. I would not go away until a resolution was found.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #192

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
...Cops are not your friends, and not their to help you....
In the context of the sign on the dash urging folks to just fess up to stuff cause the cop can help, I agree with you. You should never (ever) admit anything to the cop, even if you're guilty. No one ever received a lighter sentance because they admitted their crime to the cops, and the cops will never let you go just because you're truthful with them.

In a larger context, I believe cops ARE here to help us. They perform an incredibly difficult, but essential function in our society. It is up to US to keep them honest. No one else can.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #193
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxRV View Post

I did not sign up to bash cops
Very nice Introduction post!
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #194

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was the question of weapons carried ever brought up?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #195

National RV Owners Club
Searching your RV

The California Agriculture Inspectors (?) cane aboard and searched my RV when I entered California from Arizona. They confiscated the mango that I had just purchased the day before in Phoenix. Why can't we get these people along the Mexican border?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #196

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another good website that has an excellent publication on weapons and when you can and can't carry is www.gunlawguide.com. This is written by an Attorney and is updated every year. Cost is $12.50. It covers all fifty states.

Tags
heartland