Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #211

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are police officers whom I think should be jailed, There are police officers who HAVE been jailed.. There are departments I would care to avoid.

I worked for the Michigan State Police and they are one of the most "By the book" departments out there.

So given the options you wish me to choose from the correct answer is "All of the above are correct" A good department like MSP, the officers will always be polite and proper, Will conduct themselves with the hightest standards of conduct (At least when dealing with the public). I have to say I noticed this long before I filled out a Civil service application.

Other departmetns.. Well the town I lived in when I noticed this was in contention for the most corrupt dept in the sate. (I might add, it lost, which is not at all a bad thing in this case).

Some cops.. the power goes to their head. Some departments, Terminate those types.
And, so, when dealing with police (or anyone for that matter), one has to proceed hoping for the best, but prepared the worst. I don't know if he's a good cop or a bad cop. I make no assumptions. He doesn't know if I have a basement full marijuana in my RV and an accomplice with an uzi inside. He makes no assumptions.

I'm sure he approaches dealing with me with an abundance of caution. I hope he realizes I must do the same thing.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #212

my 2 cents. I've been profiled, pulled over, harrassed and all with no probable cause. Now, all that occurred while I lived in SoCal (born and bred). I now live in Ohio (10+ years) and haven't been pulled over unnecessarily (speeding once and cited) since.
LEO's are public servants, and paid for by our tax dollars. I treat them with respect and I expect to be treated with respect. After reading this thread, there is no way I would voluntarily allow myself and my truck/fifth wheel to be searched. I do have a CCW, and have passed military clearance to be allowed on Hickam and Eielson AFB in years past as a general contractor. I don't do drugs, never did, never will.
The bit about the TSA doing random road searches is legitimate as I recently read online about such searches being requested in Tennessee by their State Senator. I also emailed my Ohio State Representative that I considered such acts by the TSA as illegal and she (Jean Schmidt) should too. Google 'TSA road searches' and you can easily find the story. All in the name of counterterrorism.
Want to know the US Constitution? Take the free course being offered by Hillsdale University. It's online. I'm on week 4 and it is very interesting and eye-opening.
Google is your friend, at times.

Those that refuse to read history will be doomed to repeat it but I prefer the Winston Churchill quote "History will be kind to me as I intend to make it."

Know your rights, know when to exercise them, and understand the consequences. Take the course. I guarantee everyone will learn something. It's free.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #213

A concealed to carry license is easy to get in Oklahoma. My husband and I both took a class and got our concealed to carry license just in case we might need it. Just makes us feel safer - keep our pistol concealed so that grandkids can't find it - just hope we can find it when we need it.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #214

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaram View Post
A concealed to carry license is easy to get in Oklahoma. My husband and I both took a class and got our concealed to carry license just in case we might need it. Just makes us feel safer - keep our pistol concealed so that grandkids can't find it - just hope we can find it when we need it.
Class?? Don't need no class in Georgia.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #215

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Why?
Well, they say they protect the Constitution, but then they only protect certain parts of it. I won't go any further as it might get too political for here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we were stopped this past week in Tennessee and Arkansas..Tn just said we were serving arkansas...came in and opened every cupboard and even lifted the bed...so sad...wanted to do this full time but don't like being suspect. Don't trust anyone over 30...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #217

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they come into ours they'll have to defend themselves against all seven cats!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #218

LEO's in Oklahoma have no visibility of CWL but disclosure of a weapon is required by law if you are stopped. Law enforcement that taught our coarse confirmed this.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #219

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, they say they protect the Constitution, but then they only protect certain parts of it. I won't go any further as it might get too political for here.
Anything is better than nothing. Granted, all you see them going after are high profile cases they have a chance of winning but that doesn't mean they aren't working in the background, researching and compiling data, etc.

Reporting incidents to the ACLU isn't going to do any harm and just might do some good. Expecting them to be your personal lawyer probably will result in disappointment unless you are in a large class of people affected the same way.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
In Washington. What if an NC trooper runs it?
I guess it depends on thier data base they run the plate through. In Wa. you have to go to the Co. or City you live in to get a Conceal Pistol Permit(CPP). IF you are granted the permit( Pass the Fedral back ground check) it goes into the state data bank which also contains your Vehicle Reg. and is instantly cross refferenced. But Washington is also a OPEN Carry State, I can walk down the street with a loaded pistol on my hip as long as its in plain view.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #221

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
And, so, when dealing with police (or anyone for that matter), one has to proceed hoping for the best, but prepared the worst. I don't know if he's a good cop or a bad cop. I make no assumptions. He doesn't know if I have a basement full marijuana in my RV and an accomplice with an uzi inside. He makes no assumptions.

I'm sure he approaches dealing with me with an abundance of caution. I hope he realizes I must do the same thing.
You got it.. And you are right, When he approaches you.. He is thinking much the same thing. HE does not know if you are good or bad, If you will greet him with Good Evening Officer, or with a .45.

Think of a meeting with the police as a well choreographed dance. If everybody follows all the steps as the choreographer layed them out, Everybody gets to go home at the end of the day.

Make a false step.. (Either one of you) and somebody may not be so lucky.

I used to know a trooper who made such a false step.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
The TSA stops were at weigh stations and bus stops. Dealing with commerical vehicles. I saw no articles where private citizens were stopped and searched. I still feel the searches were illegal.

TSA Stages Highway Searches to Show Its Tennessee Valley Authority
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #223

This quote from an above post bothers me: "A concealed to carry license is easy to get in Oklahoma. My husband and I both took a class and got our concealed to carry license just in case we might need it. Just makes us feel safer - keep our pistol concealed so that grandkids can't find it - just hope we can find it when we need it."

I retired from law enforcement and I really doubt you can hide a pistol were a kid cannot find it. When the grandkids are around the pistol needs to be unloaded and locked in a safe or lockable cabinet. I have grandkids & great grandkids and when they are around I promise you the weapons are unloaded and also locked in a gun safe. You just can't take a chance with a kid. Also, you need to know where it is, not just hope you can find it. If you have it for protection you do need to practice with it periodically - having a permit doesn't keep you familiar with the use of the pistol. I do have a safe in my RV and that is where the pistol is when the kids are around. Just my opinion but I'll stand by it!

To keep with the topic can the police search my RV I'll ask them what is the basis for probable cause and see what comes up.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #224

Quote:
I really doubt you can hide a pistol were a kid cannot find it
I agree with the above. That is why even young children need to understand that guns are off limits. More important, biometric gun safes are so inexpensive these days there is really no need not to have one to secure a firearm safely. Personally, I do not understand why someone would have a concealed carry permit and not carry, unless somewhere where illegal to do so, but that's just me.

Tags
heartland