Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #253

Bottom line is, police are people too. If you are nice , respectful and keep your hands in plan site, you should not have any problems. ( if your not already a felon). Police understand your need for safety.

X2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #254

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
be polite if stopped
lean out your drivers window if in the rv to speak to the officer/s

never consent to a roadside search. even if you have nothing to hide...you have rights and your shall not be a lemming and roll over
just politely say NO if asked if they can search your rv at a traffic stop
then after they huff, ask if your free to go

if they have a reason to search, then they can convince a judge for a warrant. you may be detained waiting...but you didnt give up your rights

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #255

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
be polite if stopped
lean out your drivers window if in the rv to speak to the officer/s

never consent to a roadside search. even if you have nothing to hide...you have rights and your shall not be a lemming and roll over
just politely say NO if asked if they can search your rv at a traffic stop
then after they huff, ask if your free to go

if they have a reason to search, then they can convince a judge for a warrant. you may be detained waiting...but you didnt give up your rights
Won't work in WA, they have the right to search your vehicle for their safety during a traffic stop. Has been to the State Supreme Court and upheld (not that I agree but it is the law here)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Won't work in WA, they have the right to search your vehicle for their safety during a traffic stop. Has been to the State Supreme Court and upheld (not that I agree but it is the law here)
Local News | State Supreme Court imposes limits on vehicle searches | Seattle Times Newspaper

I think you best read this article. They cannot search without a warrant.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #257

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Local News | State Supreme Court imposes limits on vehicle searches | Seattle Times Newspaper

I think you best read this article. They cannot search without a warrant.
Notice that says AFTER they've been arrested but they can still search "for officer safety" without needing a warrant:
Quote:
Washington's justices found that the officer-safety exemption already exists under Article I, Section 7 of the state constitution, which contains protections against illegal search and seizure similar to those found in the Fourth Amendment.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #258

Quote:
Notice that says AFTER they've been arrested but they can still search "for officer safety" without needing a warrant:

Reread Washington State Supreme Court Limits Vehicle Searches | StoptheDrugWar.org

In its opinion, the court clearly held that the rights of Washingtonians to be free of warrantless searches trump the right of law enforcement not to be inconvenienced.

Washington is not the only state where state courts have found rights in the state constitution beyond what the US Supreme Court has found in the US Constitution
Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #259

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpardee View Post
A friend was asking me if I carried a weapon in my RV. It made me wonder if the police can search your RV if you were pulled over or not? Has anyone here had this happen to them?
Oh yeah, by the way. In Indiana Conservation officers do not need a search warrant to search your freezer if they think you may have illegally obtained game stored there! They also can issue traffic citations although they seldom do.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #260

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Can police?

In over thirty years of law enforcement I never observed a motor home in a violation. Drove over a million miles with the state police. I'm sure I just missed some but motor home drivers seem to be very responsible folks for the most part.

The advise about simple courtesy is the best I can find. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred the officer is trying to do you a favor (light out, tire low, something dragging, etc.). However, remember there are as many personalities out there as there are persons and some police officers (doctors, lawyers, ministers, politicians) should not be in a position of authority (responsibility, etc.).

Drive your rig like you were carrying the most important cargo in the world. Because, you are!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired-old View Post
However, remember there are as many personalities out there as there are persons and some police officers (doctors, lawyers, ministers, politicians) should not be in a position of authority (responsibility, etc.).
So true
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #262

Quote:
DId you miss this?

Quote:
The ruling overturns the convictions of two men in unrelated cases who were stopped by police, after which officers found drugs during searches of their cars.
The justices, in an 8-1 vote on Thursday, held that police must obtain a warrant to search an arrested driver's car even if they believe it contains evidence of the crime for which the person was taken into custody.
What part of that dont you understand?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #263

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpardee View Post
A friend was asking me if I carried a weapon in my RV. It made me wonder if the police can search your RV if you were pulled over or not? Has anyone here had this happen to them?

this is one of the main reasons I spent the money and time to get a concealed carry permit. I have to renew it every 6 years and it is not much money spent when you consider the expense of getting stopped and caught with a loaded weapon. Most states now have recriprocity with the exception of california, orgeon and new england. When I get stopped by a police officer for anything I tell him I have the permit and whether or not I have a weapon on me. I have never had any problems this way.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #264

Gemini5362, also include Illinois in your exceptions, your permit is not good there at the present time.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #265

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe I can kill this thread. As a LEO, I used DEA on all my stops. Demeanor, eye-contact and attitude, both of driver and passengers. If my instincts flinched even a little on any one of these, I asked to search the vehicle. Upon refusal, with no PC other than my "feelings", If my bad-guy radar was really twitching I would separate the occupants and throw stock questions at them and compare the answers. If all answers were close to each other, I'm wrong and y'all have a nice day. If not, thanks for the PC that might help me with a reason to search that will /might hold up in court. 99.9% of law enforcement officers are on the streets, highways and backwoods of this country trying to protect the law abiding John and Jane Doe 's from some sorta bad to really bad mammals that look like us but really are nothing at all like most of us. I was also screwed with as a kid by cops on many occasions. That was one of the motives that me pushed toward " the job". I told my wife when she asked why I would want such a thankless job, that I hoped I took the slot that a bully or jerk might have gotten. I also, of course wanted to save the world, as all rookies do. :/ To answer the original OP's post, for me I would NOT consent to a search. If they feel cause to do so anyway, I would assert my rights and say/ speak only what required of me under the law and nothing more. Always show respect and humility to those who risk their [moderator edit] every day for all of us, but exercise your constitutional rights. Too many of us have died for those rights. Use them. And as an aside, the ACLU might not be your cup of tea, but they always defend v constitutional abuses. Are they left of center? I guess. Who has a right leaning pro-bono law group that does the same? I'll love on them too. Did I do it? Is this thread dead, Fred?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #266

I got in on the tail end of this. I have been stopped twice in Louisiana on I-10. First time by a state policeman. He had followed me for a few miles in my 28ft. MH. Pulled along side a few times and then turned on lights for me to stop. There was an exit close so I took it and stopped. He came up to the entry door and I opened it. I could tell he was surprised I was an old man, 74 at the time. He said he stopped me for weaving all over the road, not true but I did not dispute this. I asked if he wanted to come in he said no, be careful and have a good day. Second time I was stopped was by a DEA agent, very close to the same area on I 10. He came up to the drivers window and asked how many people were in the MH. Me and my wife. He said to open the door and step out with my hands showing. He was also somewhat surprised at my age. He had his hand on his pistol, bullet proof vest on the outside with large DEA letters. He asked if I had weapons in the MH, I said yes, a shotgun and a revolver. My wife was standing in the door all this time. I asked if he wanted to go in the MH and talk he said yes, and asked if my weapons were in sight, no I said. Wanted to know if I had a dog that would jump on him, no one that would want to sit in his lap maybe. He came in and sat down and discovered my wife was from Thailand and was interested in visiting there so we talked awhile. He never asked where my weapons were. He said he was a K-9 unit and would like to let the dog sniff the outside of the MH. After that he said be careful and enjoy your trip. I think being an old timer has some advantage with law enforcement as long as everyone is civil.

Tags
heartland