Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #281
Not exactly on topic, as crossing the border you have no rights really. I bought my MH from an American couple and the wife offered to drive it up to Alberta from Florida. Nice middle class people. At the border we had no real issues with most of the process until they said to go across the lot and the fellow over there would just inspect the unit. I didn't think much of it, everyone had been pretty polite.

Then I met the last person I would have to deal with. He was miserable. Kept suggesting I was holding something out, wouldn't believe that I paid $150k for the coach (I did) and was trying to cheat the Canadian gov't out of part of the 5% sales tax.

I was getting pretty annoyed, finally he called in the drug sniffing dog and they went through the coach and my vehicle that I had driven down to the border. The found nothing and when he couldn't find another thing to annoy me about, he let us go.

Got home, got the lady to the airport, and started to go through the coach and remove some stuff I didn't need including some ceramic jars that were stuck to the counter with earthquake putty.

Pulled one of with a hard yank and a joint came flying out!

If that miserable border guard had found it he could have seized the coach. One reason to decline any searches is you never know what someone else may have brought into your car or coach.

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #282
I didn't read all 281 post in this thread but, around here if the police want to search your RV there going to do it and make up a excuse later. But, I'm not saying they are going to do that but, if they wanted too they would.

Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #283
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Thanks for the article, it proves my point: they CAN search your vehicle for officer safety without a warrant:
While the Washington Supreme Court ruling found that the officer safety exemption already exists under the state constitution, it held that searches of a vehicle for evidence of the crime for which the person was already arrested is not allowed under Article I, Section 7 of the state constitution, which enumerates protections against illegal search and seizure under state law
In its opinion, the court clearly held that the rights of Washingtonians to be free of warrantless searches trump the right of law enforcement not to be inconvenienced.

Some how I believe your point is lost in that single sentence. It is the same article I posted last week. In a very rare case, a LEO may be able to search, but in 99.9 percent of the cases, they cannot and most likely any evidence tossed by a DA.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #284
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

I read a few pages and am not sure if the issue is THAT prevalent in the RV community. I have been RV'ing for near 25 years, pop-up, travel trailer and motorhome. Have traveled quite extensively in our boat as well. I have NEVER been pulled over by LEO, I was once followed by one for several miles, justifiably so since I had recently moved to new state and had expired out of state tags on trailer, he followed me for quite some time, but I think since it was a rainy day he just didn't want to get wet, or deal with me with a car full of wife and kids. Have been subject to search of RV while crossing a military base. Guard at gate politely asked if anyone was in the rv, I replied there was not, then asked if I had any weapons in there, I replied I did not, he asked if he could look in trailer, I responded he could, he walked in looked around came back out and said "thank you sir have a nice day and a great trip". I don't know why I would have refused under the circumstances.

I agree that we are losing some of the freedoms we take for granted, but this seems like much ado about little. Maybe if I was the victim of some of these stories I would have a stronger objection.

Interesting sidebar here, when I was shopping motorhomes, mostly for sale by owner, I found it interesting that in several of the motorhomes I entered there was a firearm readily visible. In 2 instances lying beside the driver seat. I commented to one of the owners since the motorhome was parked in his backyard, not out on the road. His reply, "it's always there, my insurance".
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #285
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2 cents worth and old guy stories that happened decades ago.
I agree that I cannot imagine it being a big problem. It has been my experience that the police look at the older population as not being a problem. I forgot that I had not renewed the license plate on my truck. I drove it that way for 4 months including a trip from Arkansas to Disney world and back. My son asked to borrow it to move with and drove in the same town I drove in every day. He was stopped for expired license plate as soon as he got into town. After I stopped laughing I paid the ticket and got new plates.

Years ago before concealed carry laws I got stopped for speeding. 40 in a 30 or something like that. I had my wife and the baby in the car with me. We were in Fort Smith where I live and the police officer leaned in the car to talk to me. I did not know it but my 357 magnum had slid out from under the seat and the officer saw it. He asked me if it was loaded and I did not like I told him it was because it was not too useful empty. He took me to the back of the truck to chat with me and asked why I was driving around with a loaded gun concealed under the seat. I told him I had a wife and child and there were too many crazy people out in the world. He stated giving me a lecture about driving too fast and safety of my child etc. He told me he was going to give me a warning for speeding. I finally could not take it any more since a concealed weapon is a major issue in Arkansas. I asked him if he was going to say anything about the gun. He said no he knows how it is. He said if I had been drinking or belligerent that I would be on my way to jail right now. I was sober and polite and had a family to protect so he was not too worried about it.

The moral of these stories is that if you are old and polite you probably do not have too much to worry about from the police.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #286
National RV Owners Club
Up north of the border, things are not too dissimilar from some of the stories told here. If the police want to search your vehicle but don't have an obvious reason to do so, they will generally give you a choice, consent to a search or be detained until a warrant can be procured. If they get to that stage, you might as well consent because you are only delaying the inevitable. They generally don't ask unless they have some bee in their bonnet and conventional wisdom is that unless you really do have something to hide, there shouldn't be a reason to say no to a search. Doesn't mean you can't get an youknowwhat hole once in awhile but in truth, I have never found a problem in my 30 plus years of driving.

Also, law enforcement up her is largely at the provincial level. Some of the larger cities have their own police forces but when you are driving through the stix be it BC, Alberta, or most other provinces, you are dealing with the RCMP. Ontario and Quebec have their own provincial police forces but they are still dealing with the same Canadian Criminal codes. At most we generally have 2 levels of law enforcement, City and Province, most of the time it just the one. The RCMP is also our Federal Police force dealing with international crimes.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #287

Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Boy, I cannot see how an illegal search makes us all safer, but I guess that is just me. Recently, completed some work south of the border and decided to drive north so I could help grand daughter move some stuff. About 30 or 40 miles north (well beyond border checkpoint) of the border we were directed into an, I guess, immigration checkpoint. Agent wanted us to tell him whether we were citizens. I refused, explaining I thought free travel was a basic right in this country - all I could think of was the old WW II movies "papers please". Agent directed me to another area and a supervisor ordered us out of car and said we would be searched, as well as the vehicle. I would not consent, asking what the reason was. After a rather tense stand off, they let us go.

Problem is, my 20 year old grand daughter, who was valedictorian of her high school class, and will graduate in the top 2% of her university class, had no idea that what we were ordered to do was not allowed without consent or cause. I guess in a few years when all us old throwbacks are gone it won't matter because no one will know what is acceptable behavior by authorities.
Just my thoughts but having worked for INS on the southern border for years (many years ago and unless laws & regulations have changed ) border enforcement has very strong authority to stop, board & search vehicles within 100 miles of the international border. Wouldn't you have been better off telling the officer you are US Citizens (assuming you are)? You would have probably been on your way without having to get angry about being asked about your citizenship and perceived violations of rights?
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #288
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Isn't it time to lock this thread? The original question and answer were on page 1. It seems to have evolved into how to be pleasant, regardless of the circumstances, when speaking to a LEO.
So what!! Lock the thread? Really?!
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
So what!! Lock the thread? Really?!
As long as the thread remains courteous and on-topic, it will remain open. This is obviously a topic that is of interest to many.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote