Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
All I can say is "wow" . . .

I always wonder why people who have nothing to hide, fight so hard to be uncooperative under the banner of a right to freedom, guarded by the very people who are asking them for cooperation.

But this topic sure is educational.
As someone that gets "very" bent when stopped, I can answer that.
99% of the time, I have done nothing wrong, these days they are rude [ moderator edit ]accusing me of something I KNOW I did NOT do and because my 10-20 minute stop kept them from going after the hundreds of tags never even bought 3-8 months after buying the car or going 10-25 or more over the limit.
That's only in my car. I have yet to be stopped in my RV since I haven't gotten to really go anywhere yet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #380

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackodacko View Post
I dont know about the "slim chance", but our Motorhome just got searched today. Thats after being tailed yesterday for 10 minutes, and we also got searched last year in a 5th wheel.
Last year, in our 2010 Dodge Ram and 2010 Heartland 5th Wheel, a cop in Minnesotta pulled us over and said we were swerving (of course we were not!!) and also he said we're from a high drug area so his dog was going to sniff around our rig. We had California plates, so I presume thats what he thought a high drug area was. Anyway, his dog sniffed around outside and found nothing, but he asked permission to enter since we declared we had a firearm inside. He went in by himself and stepped all over my carpet with muddy boots. He then looked under our bed for the gun, inspected it, then came out and said we're good to go. That was about 30 minutes total.

We upgraded to a motorhome late last year. We constantly drive at 55mph because of the diesel cost so we definitely dont speed.

Yesterday, driving through Iowa (went to HWH in Moscow, IA to get slides fixed!), a K9 unit cop tailed us for 10 minutes. we noticed this so we exited for gas, and the cop tailed us to the gas station and parked near our pump. He never flagged us down though, maybe he was just running our plates. we took our time filling up and 5 minutes later he was gone - probably found something better to do.

Today, driving through Ohio, another K9 unit tailed us! After 5 minutes, we decided to try the exiting move again, but they pulled us over at the exit. It was a lady cop who said we were too close to the vehicle in front of us, we should be 1 car length for every 10mph, and thats Ohio law. Well, car length is subjective. is it our car or their car? we were a decent length away from the truck ahead of us. **sigh!!**
she asked my husband to step out, and in the side mirror, i could see her frisking him, then she told him to sit in her cop car. she called for backup and a cruiser came. she then had the 2nd cop take my husband to HIS back seat, while she brought her dog around to sniff. I watched the whole thing and the dog didnt seem like it sniffed anything. I saw on TV that a dog usually sits or lays down if it smells something funky. Anyway, she then dumped the dog back in her vehicle and the male/backup cop came to me and asked for my ID, and told me to get out of the RV cuz he was going to search it. I said why? and he said the dog sniffed and detected some narcotics so they have probable cause. I asked what type of narcotics? and he said "the dog cant talk, i dont know" !!!???
So he told me to sit in the back of his cop car, with my husband, and to give him my cellphone. the lady cop also asked why i had a walkie talkie radio. i said its an RVer thing, so we can talk to each other while connecting the toad, etc. THey also frisked me. My husband later told me they asked him if he had lighter fluid on him, and if he had plans to douse her with it and light her on fire. (!?!?!?!)

While we were locked in the back of the cruiser, they then spent the next hour ransacking our place, went through my purse, everything in my wallet, husband's briefcase, jacket pockets in the closet, EVERYTHING!
Of course we had firearms, my husband had a CCW but they still had to check everything inside and muddied my carpet, as usual.

After an hour, a 3rd cop came, just to take a peek I guess? They told us that we should declare everything up front. Seriously? If a cop pulls you over for "tailgating" and then has a drug dog sniff for drugs, are you supposed to say "hey i have guns!!!"

It was a terrible experience, not to mention a bit claustrophobic in the back of the cop car because there was no air circulating and we couldnt open the door or windows from the inside. It was also very uncomfortable. i'm only 5'9" but my knees were banging against the front of this metal divider, and my husband couldnt lift his feet/shoes out of the foot area because it was so cramped so we were huddled there like a pair of hoodlums!

I really think its the California plates doing us in!
If this were to happen to me, my first call would be to a lawyer. This behavior by these jackbooted thugs who call themselves cops is totally unacceptable. A lot of people have died in combat to prevent this kind of behavior by the government and guarantee our rights. We are not living in some 3rd world country ruled by a dictator who makes the laws as he goes. Absolutely unacceptable, assuming there's not more to the story.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1 View Post
Use your camera and record on paper everything...lawyers have a way to change
the facts....gene
That wouldn't be admissible in court.....
Old 12-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
I read a couple of pages but not all the way through, 15 pages worth. Still don't see the answer to the original question.
That's because everyone likes to talk about themselves and has a story to tell.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Can't you guys/gals break your posts into paragraphs?

I run a few forums myself (way off the RV topic) and active on many others like a lot of you.

Please take the time the make your post more readable (easily read)?

Wow.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #384

I would never allow a cop to search my trailer without my consent and without a warrant...and I was a Tucson cop for 30 years. To clear up this vehicle search topic, allow me to post the General Orders that govern the Tucson police search of vehicles. Most all police departments have the same or similar rules.

2241 Consent Searches As in all consent searches, the issue of voluntariness must be addressed. The owner or a person with apparent authority over the vehicle (the driver) may consent to its search. A third party may give consent, if that person has joint access to or control over the vehicle but officers must honor the ability of one with joint authority to decline consent.
2241.1 Scope: Neither reasonable suspicion nor probable cause is required. The extent of the search is limited by the consent given. The subject can stop the search at any time, or restrict the breadth of the search at any time.

2243 Vehicle Search: Probable Cause In order to search a vehicle without a warrant, an officer must have probable cause to believe there is contraband or evidence in the vehicle, and the vehicle must be readily mobile. Some examples of "vehicle exception" to the warrant requirement that may lead to probable cause include, but are not limited to:
- A canine alerts on the vehicle;
- An officer smells the odor of fresh or presently burning marijuana coming from the vehicle;
- An officer sees contraband, narcotics, or paraphernalia in plain view in the vehicle;
- The arrestee makes statements about evidence or contraband in the vehicle.
2243.1 Scope: The scope of a vehicle search is the same as would be authorized by a search warrant. The search shall be limited by the object of the search, and may include the passenger compartment, trunk and all containers (locked or unlocked, belonging to driver or passenger(s) within the vehicle.

2244 Vehicle Frisk For a vehicle to be frisked, the officer must have made a lawful investigatory stop based upon a traffic violation or reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, and the officer must have a reasonable suspicion that the persons in the vehicle are presently armed and dangerous.
2244.1 Scope: The scope of a vehicle frisk is limited to those areas in the passenger compartment of the vehicle in which a weapon may be placed or hidden and readily accessible. For example, under the seat, in a door pocket, an unlocked center console, or an unlocked glove box.

2246.4 Motor Home/Mobile Home A motor home or mobile home, if apparently mobile, is treated the same as a motor vehicle for the purposes of warrantless searches. Motor homes and mobile homes that are apparently affixed to a location, e.g., water hookups, skirts, lack of wheels, shall be
treated as residences, not as vehicles.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #385
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Can't you guys/gals break your posts into paragraphs?

I run a few forums myself (way off the RV topic) and active on many others like a lot of you.

Please take the time the make your post more readable (easily read)?

Perhaps it would be best to proofread your own post before criticizing others on their endeavor to help others.

Didn’t know this was grammar school, but just a place to gain information, and exchange ideas.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #386

I am sure there are exceptions but the general idea of a search is to look for evidence of a crime. Police rarely look for exculpatory evidence during a search. If they have no probable cause to believe that a crime was committed why search? If they ask for consent they are telling you they have no PC and want to go on a fishing expedition.

I truly wish more people would research the civil asset forfeiture laws and then decide if they would consent to a search. One could lose everything, RV, assets and cash and never be charged with a crime. How many of us carry cash on a road trip? I do and would never volunteer that info to a police officer. How many of us carry meds in a weekly/monthly pill case without a label? I do that also. Both activities could either get your cash confiscated, you arrested or both. All the while thinking you had nothing to hide. There are too many other examples to list but I hope you get the idea.
My attorney instructed me to never consent to a search and to never volunteer information. Too many ways to spin my statement to make me look bad/guilty. As I said earlier, The police never ask questions to prove you innocent, only to get evidence of criminal activity. Speak and consent at your own risk.
RichH
Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #387

Quote:
...One could lose everything, RV, assets and cash and never be charged with a crime. How many of us carry cash on a road trip? I do and would never volunteer that info to a police officer. ...

I just checked. The police would get my entire $23! Sharon just volunteered that she had $4 in bills in her purse left over from the $10 spend money I give her each month. But then I would be very amused to sit back and watch the police try to take her credit card away from her!

I must be the oddball among the group. I don't fear the police, but look at them as my protector. If I had a problem they would be the first people I would call. Maybe if we lived in a big city it would be different?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 12-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I just checked. The police would get my entire $23! Sharon just volunteered that she had $4 in bills in her purse left over from the $10 spend money I give her each month. But then I would be very amused to sit back and watch the police try to take her credit card away from her!

I must be the oddball among the group. I don't fear the police, but look at them as my protector. If I had a problem they would be the first people I would call. Maybe if we lived in a big city it would be different?
I don't generally fear the police either, and they, or EMS, would be my first call as well in an emergency. I am going to assume you are not on the road now, but that you may carry cash on trips and that would be completely different. BTW, is your RV paid for? If so, or if it has a really low payoff, they could seize that as evidence of a crime and you would be required to prove it wasn't involved in a criminal activity to get it back. Of course it is nearly impossible to prove a negative so good luck.

When police can search, seize, arrest and or take your vehicle and you have contact with them I rely on Ronald Reagan's words, "trust but verify." I will never give voluntary consent to search me or any of my property.
RichH
Old 12-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #389

OP's question was 'can' a motorhome be searched. Of course, the answer is yes. The question remains if an officer 'may' search a motorhome. 'May' and 'may not' are the answers so far. Depends whom you ask.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #390
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
I am sure there are exceptions but the general idea of a search is to look for evidence of a crime. Police rarely look for exculpatory evidence during a search. If they have no probable cause to believe that a crime was committed why search? If they ask for consent they are telling you they have no PC and want to go on a fishing expedition.

I truly wish more people would research the civil asset forfeiture laws and then decide if they would consent to a search. One could lose everything, RV, assets and cash and never be charged with a crime. How many of us carry cash on a road trip? I do and would never volunteer that info to a police officer. How many of us carry meds in a weekly/monthly pill case without a label? I do that also. Both activities could either get your cash confiscated, you arrested or both. All the while thinking you had nothing to hide. There are too many other examples to list but I hope you get the idea.
My attorney instructed me to never consent to a search and to never volunteer information. Too many ways to spin my statement to make me look bad/guilty. As I said earlier, The police never ask questions to prove you innocent, only to get evidence of criminal activity. Speak and consent at your own risk.
RichH
I carry an abundance of prescription medication all organized in my pill caddy, however, when I travel I also take the prescription bottles just in case.

I didn't read all the posts but do some of you guys really think the police are out to get you?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #391
tcg

Quote:
I don't generally fear the police either, and they, or EMS, would be my first call as well in an emergency. I am going to assume you are not on the road now, but that you may carry cash on trips and that would be completely different. BTW, is your RV paid for? If so, or if it has a really low payoff, they could seize that as evidence of a crime and you would be required to prove it wasn't involved in a criminal activity to get it back. Of course it is nearly impossible to prove a negative so good luck.

When police can search, seize, arrest and or take your vehicle and you have contact with them I rely on Ronald Reagan's words, "trust but verify." I will never give voluntary consent to search me or any of my property.
RichH
What does being paid for have to do with evidence of a crime and do they have the ability to get that information during a traffic stop?

Can anyone post a link to any instances where this has happened?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #392

Quote:

RichH
Yes we are on the road, and generally we just don't carry very much paper money at all. I occasionally go to Walmart and using my debit card I will get $50 cash back, but that $50 cash will last a long time (unless Sharon gets ahold of it!), All of our expenditures goes on our Costco Visa card. Very generous cash back, so why on earth carry paper money? Shoot, my daughter was admitted to a hospital a while back and when we were leaving the parking structure we were suddenly confronted with having to pay $1.75 in parking tolls. We could only come up with $0.93 between Sharon and I!!!!!!! The toll taker happily said "We take Visa!"

Yes, my coach and my house are paid for. That was one of my requirements before I retired. Am I afraid the police will seize my stuff because of some far fetched, never going to happen, once in a million chance they actually believe this "over the hill" couple did something wrong? NO! I refuse to live in fear of something that will never happen. And if it does/??? I will make it another life adventure out of the experience. I get the feeling many of you just don't appreciate just how great this country really is, and has been.

Like I have said before in this long winded topic (see post 351), I've been driving for 50 years now, and I have NEVER, NEVER felt threatened by the Boys in Blue. Shoot my wife of 45 years scares me more than they do!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Closed Thread

Tags
heartland