Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #197

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxRV View Post
Hey All!

Found this forum via Google search after I was stopped today in the mid west...second time in 4 months...with CA plates!...I sincerely hope none of you have to experience what I did today. Having an officer insinuate that you have drugs and are hiding something left me sick to my stomach.
It might not be a bad idea if everyone who has this kind of thing happen reported it to the ACLU. While it is highly unlikely they would do anything for you directly, it would enable them to compile statistics that would alert them to jurisdictions that habitually violate Constitutional rights and also give them a better picture of what is going on in general.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #198

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
It might not be a bad idea if everyone who has this kind of thing happen reported it to the ACLU. While it is highly unlikely they would do anything for you directly, it would enable them to compile statistics that would alert them to jurisdictions that habitually violate Constitutional rights and also give them a better picture of what is going on in general.

+1
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #199

I read a couple of pages but not all the way through, 15 pages worth. Still don't see the answer to the original question.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #200

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have never been pulled over in a motor home but In a car I was always nice and apologetic and the last two times they just gave me a warning. Like everyone here has already said the laws are different in each state. I personally would just put the gun up always and if asked if I had one then I would tell them yes. Of coarse I would also have a license for caring a gun in my home state.

Big Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #201

this is in the watever its worth dept.
in the last 6 or 7 years, i have been pulled over three times, one for a tail lite bulb, once for "sweaving" and one don't know why. no tickets.
and once i was tailed for several miles and then he took off..

the common thread is out of state lic.

i think they were fishing for revenue from an out of state blue hair.
they know if you were to fight a ticket or ? in court you have to come back to the area and they know you are traveling.

PS. i don't know what it means but two of the four were in OK.

JMO
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #202

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
I read a couple of pages but not all the way through, 15 pages worth. Still don't see the answer to the original question.
Answer:
1. Yes, if they have your consent.
2. Yes, if they have probable cause to believe you have committed (or are about to commit) a crime.
3. Yes, if they can trump up some feasable story to justify it and cover themselves.
4. Yes, at gunpoint if they want to.
5. No, if they are honorable, follow the law themselves, and 1 and 2 above does not apply.

I stand by my assertion that it is _NEVER_ to your advantage to consent to a search of your RV. And if they want to search anyway, there needs to be a supervisor present.

He doesn't know if I'm a bad guy. I don't know if he's a bad cop. I make no assumptions, and neither will he.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Answer:
1. Yes, if they have your consent.
2. Yes, if they have probable cause to believe you have committed (or are about to commit) a crime.
3. Yes, if they can trump up some feasable story to justify it and cover themselves.
4. Yes, at gunpoint if they want to.
5. No, if they are honorable, follow the law themselves, and 1 and 2 above does not apply.

I stand by my assertion that it is _NEVER_ to your advantage to consent to a search of your RV. And if they want to search anyway, there needs to be a supervisor present.

He doesn't know if I'm a bad guy. I don't know if he's a bad cop. I make no assumptions, and neither will he.

Thank You
Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #204

Did't read the whole thread so sorry if its been addressed already. I have a Washington Carry Permit. If LEO runs my Lic. Plate he already knows about it BEFORE he stops me.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #205

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishseeker View Post
Did't read the whole thread so sorry if its been addressed already. I have a Washington Carry Permit. If LEO runs my Lic. Plate he already knows about it BEFORE he stops me.
In Washington. What if an NC trooper runs it?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #206

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was going to make a fairly long post, After 25 years working (As a civilian) for the police I have heard and read many search rules. As I said I was going to make a very long post.

But to be honest, DashDriver did a much better job of it than I could. So rather than wasting a lot of bandwith re-phrasing what he said.. I will simply second his post.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #207

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I was going to make a fairly long post, After 25 years working (As a civilian) for the police I have heard and read many search rules. As I said I was going to make a very long post.

But to be honest, DashDriver did a much better job of it than I could. So rather than wasting a lot of bandwith re-phrasing what he said.. I will simply second his post.
I'd like to hear your perspective.

There is a perception that there is an unwritten code of conduct amongst the police, where they can do anything they please and their buddies will back them up, no matter what.

DashDriver' insight and experience would lead us to believe that it is relatively non-existant, and that 99% of traffic stops will be by a professional officer that conducts himself by the book. He's probably right.

I can tell you one instance where the SBI came in and fired an entire local police department, from the chief all the way down, due to corruption. They were watching each other's backs. You would probably NOT get professional, by-the-book treatment from those guys.

(For others, wa8yxm didn't link it, but I believe THIS DashDriver POST is the one to which he referrs.)

I think the most important part I took from his post is this: The chances of you having a rogue cop plant something in your RV in order to cover his butt is minuscule to non-existant. If you feel like your rights are being violated, COURT is the place to make that stand, not during the traffic stop. Resisting the officer is begging for a bad, bad day.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #208

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
It might not be a bad idea if everyone who has this kind of thing happen reported it to the ACLU.
That would be the absolute last group I would call!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #209

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I'd like to hear your perspective.

There is a perception that there is an unwritten code of conduct amongst the police, where they can do anything they please and their buddies will back them up, no matter what.
There are police officers whom I think should be jailed, There are police officers who HAVE been jailed.. There are departments I would care to avoid.

I worked for the Michigan State Police and they are one of the most "By the book" departments out there.

So given the options you wish me to choose from the correct answer is "All of the above are correct" A good department like MSP, the officers will always be polite and proper, Will conduct themselves with the hightest standards of conduct (At least when dealing with the public). I have to say I noticed this long before I filled out a Civil service application.

Other departmetns.. Well the town I lived in when I noticed this was in contention for the most corrupt dept in the sate. (I might add, it lost, which is not at all a bad thing in this case).

Some cops.. the power goes to their head. Some departments, Terminate those types.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #210

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Quote:
That would be the absolute last group I would call!
Why?
Closed Thread

Tags
heartland