Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #239

iRV2 No Limits Club
I just finished reading a John Grisham book called The Innocent Man. Unlike his other books, which are fiction, this book is about actual incidents resulting in people being convicted for crimes they didn't commit and why it happened.

While I believe that the majority of the Justice System and LEOs are honest and reliable, this book provides an eye opening actual account of what can (and did) happen when the police become "overzealous" and "cut a few legal corners." While the events in the book actually happened and are not fictionalized, it definitely is not a dry textbook styled read. While reading it, at times I was outraged and other times, driven to tears. I strongly recommend everyone reading this book.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #240

Ooops - guess that was my sad attempt at scarcasm. Our pistol is indeed unloaded and is definately put where the grands cannot find it. (locked in a safe) We would never have a loaded weapon where a child could get to it. We both definaely do know where the weapon is - hope we never never have to use it but if the case arises we could find it. Sorry for sounding flippant over such serious subject matter.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #241

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
What about us from the north of you guys.
What protection do we have from illegal searches? None?
I guess no more protection than we have coming north. We came to Canada once in our MH and was put through the most humiliating search for over an hour. Looking for guns we did not have. I was repeatedly ask if I had guns in the MH while they were inside searching. Telling me they could take it apart. Then after all that they came outside and starting questioning us if we carried guns when we were home in Louisiana. Did I carry them in my truck. This was asked several time in different ways. When they gave up on finding guns that was not there. They asked where we planned to exit Canada and enter the USA when our trip in Canada is over. Then they wanted to know where we planning to go straight home. I said no. They then wanted to know where in the USA we planned to go before going home. I first said no where in Canada, we plan to stay in the USA. Again he asked but where in the USA. By then I had enough. I said none of your business. Once I enter back into the USA it was none of his business. I truely think if I EVER go back to Canada it will be by plane. The border guards are RUDE.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #242
Dry

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wow that was a lot of reading.
So to summarize what I've learned;

- Always be courteous to officers of the law.
- Always, politely, refuse consent to search.
- If you have weapons, always travel with them unloaded, far away from the passenger area, and locked up if possible, with the ammo stored separately.
- If the officer wishes to enter for any reason, do not resist, for it is the judge who you really need to worry about.
- If you fall victim to a bad officer or training procedure, remain civil and take any issues to the court (and pray for civility).

I came to this thread cause I thought full timing meant they need a warrant.
I realize now, it is just like any vehicle.
I feel bad for the cancer guy, but if I knew cats were illegal in a state, I would not enter that state. (I don't do drugs, but I have cats)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #243

Winnebago Owners Club
Canada only

This pertains to Canada only as I am Canadian. If you manage to actually make it past the Canadian border guards with a gun be hopeful you don't get stopped. In Canada we have much more stringent laws than the USA. You must have all the proper permits for the gun and it must not be prohibited in Canada.

As far as searching your motorhome, there are a number of factors that come into play. If you are driving it down the road and get stopped my a police officer, he must have reasonable grounds to enter or search the motorhome. (Merely opening the entrance door does not imply permission to enter the unit.) One example would be: you didn't signal a turn, you get stopped, you open the window and the officer smells a controlled substance(such as marihuana). He then has the immediate authority to arrest the driver and any passengers for possession of a controlled substance under the CBSA(controlled drugs and substances act). He can handcuff you and search the motorhome. Now he is in the motorhome lawfully and does not need a search warrant. Anything else he finds in the motorhjme(a gun) is fair game and you can now be charged with firearms offences, especially if it isn't stored correctly etc. He can search it in it's entirety including the basement.

Another scenario would be: the police get a complaint about firearms and believe it is your motorhome. You are parked in an Rv park sitting outside the motorhome. The member approaches you and discusses the issue. He doesn't believe you when you say you don't have a gun. He asks to search your motorhome and you say no. Legally, the officer must obtain a search warrant since you were not driving the Rv and weren't found inside it. If he believes his information is accurate and reasonable, he can still arrest you for a firearms offense, but can't enter the rv legally. If he does, technically he is doing something wrong and you can complain. If he finds the gun at this point, he can't charge you with it, but can still seize it for police and public safety.

Basically if you have a gun, don't bring it into Canada...it'll cause you more headache than it's worth.

[moderator edit]
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #244

Can law enforcement search my vehicle? Answer is Yes, and No. Usually the biggest problem occurs if you have violated a law that the officer has witnessed. Example: If you are driving your vehicle while intoxicated and are obviously going to be arrested the officer has the responsibility to take care of your vehicle. Can't just leave it parked along side the road. In that case after you are taken into custody he will search and inventory your vehicle prior to it being towed. That will be part of the written arrest record. In CA it used to be on the CHP-180 form.

I doubt any sane RVer would be driving in that manner so I wouldn't worry about searches. If the officer observes something in your vehicle that is in violation of the law he does have some reasonable cause to check that item out.

I agree with the previous post. No ones business what I have in my vehicle. I don't discuss guns with neighboring RVers. I will go a little further, I don't post decals on my MH or toad indicating I have any guns on board. No NRA stickers, No gun stickers, No political stickers, I just stay generic. I'm just an old guy passing through that doesn't have opinions.

JMHO as a retired LEO from L.A. CA
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #245

Another scenario would be: the police get a complaint about firearms and believe it is your motorhome. You are parked in an Rv park sitting outside the motorhome. The member approaches you and discusses the issue.

This is a very good point. This is exactly what gets people in trouble. They flash their firearm around inside or outside the RV, or bragging about owning firearms . Also showing off their firearms to other RVers. I can guarantee there will always be someone nearby that will be offended and may report it. If an officer gets the call he has to follow up on the report.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #246

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This has been a very interesting thread that has some great (and some not so great) information. It seems police have different rules than the border patrol and some states (like WA) allow more reasons to look than others. One area that hasn't been discussed is game wardens. Here in CO (where pot is almost legal and gun laws are becoming more restrictive), game wardens are pretty much allowed to inspect any vehicle at any time for any reason. Is that true elsewhere?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry View Post
Wow that was a lot of reading.
So to summarize what I've learned;

- Always, politely, refuse consent to search.
- If you have weapons, always travel with them unloaded, far away from the passenger area, and locked up if possible, with the ammo stored separately.
- If the officer wishes to enter for any reason, do not resist, for it is the judge who you really need to worry about.
- If you fall victim to a bad officer or training procedure, remain civil and take any issues to the court (and pray for civility).

I came to this thread cause I thought full timing meant they need a warrant.
I realize now, it is just like any vehicle.
I feel bad for the cancer guy, but if I knew cats were illegal in a state, I would not enter that state. (I don't do drugs, but I have cats)
I always try to be courteous to everyone but, is it just me, or does this statement rub you the wrong way?

To me, it implies that an officer will not apply the law(s) evenly depending on whether you treat him/her as your superior. Maybe it's just me but ....

As I said, I try to treat everyone courteously.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #248

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla

I always try to be courteous to everyone but, is it just me, or does this statement rub you the wrong way?

To me, it implies that an officer will not apply the law(s) evenly depending on whether you treat him/her as your superior. Maybe it's just me but ....

As I said, I try to treat everyone courteously.
I get what you're saying - but I see the other side too. I watched a show on catfish noodeling a while back and one guy kept kicking at the baby cottonmouths until one bit him. Can't hurt to tell some people - be courteous to LEO and snakes (not to lump them together). Don't poke at or irritate those things that have a natural right to be suspicious of you and treated with due respect. Common sense ain't all that common. You have to take my word for it - or not.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I get what you're saying - but I see the other side too. I watched a show on catfish noodeling a while back and one guy kept kicking at the baby cottonmouths until one bit him. Can't hurt to tell some people - be courteous to LEO and snakes (not to lump them together). Don't poke at or irritate those things that have a natural right to be suspicious of you and treated with due respect. Common sense ain't all that common. You have to take my word for it - or not.
Oh, I fully understand the possible outcome and not inclined to ask for trouble. Just sayin' the cottonmouth is being consistent and has the natural right .... the other has not been granted that right.

And as for the RV content ... I try to stay mostly invisible while motorin' down the road (although a little difficult with a big vehicle) and make every effort to avoid all discussions with a LEO.

Mostly I'm just saddened that when Mom said "if you need help, go see officer O'Doole on the corner" isn't what I would tell my grandkids ... sigh.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #250

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Dewillie as you found out there are no rights concerning search and seizureat an international border (US, Canada). In the space between on country and another (No mans land) Customs officers from either country can disassemble your vehicle an leave you with a pile of parts.
Lesson-Do not try and sneak prohibited items into, out of your Country.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #251

Very simple. A lot of people get stopped when they are speeding & don't get cited. Others get cited every time. A lot of it is courteous responses. However, for example, if I write a lot of accident reports on specific hwy or intersection then see a violation that person most likely will get a cite. We read the briefing boards before we go on duty we see what problems are in our area. Officers just don't have time to pick on people. They follow their radio around & try to do their job. JMHO
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #252

Bottom line is, police are people too. If you are nice , respectful and keep your hands in plan site, you should not have any problems. ( if your not already a felon). Police understand your need for safety.
Closed Thread

Tags
heartland