Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #15

Well the general consensus is to level your coach before you put out your slide, I agree 100%! Think about it, how much do you think your slide weighs? Then think about how the slides are mounted on tracks with hydraulic cylinders and tracks with electric motors, you put something that weighs 500 - 1000 pounds out on these tracks that are designed to only support the slide vertically. As the slide goes out just like everything else on the planet it wants to go down hill so the slide weight will want to shift to the down hill direction putting undue strain on everything supporting the slide. So from a physics point of view always level first and save the equipment! Think about it, when you drive your car up hill you have to push harder on the gas to power up the incline, if you are driving across a hill at an angle you have to steer it slightly uphill to keep it straight, same goes for your slides, gravity weighs heavy on their operation so why put the extra strain on the mechanism no matter what the salesman or owner's manual say.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am going to say depends on your coach. Some coach manufacturers tell you to put the slide out before you level your coach. I have a friend that his manual tells him to do that. He has the 3 leg leveling system on his coach which I think might have something to do with it. The main thing is that no matter how unlevel his coach is the manufacturer recommends that he put the slides out first.
Thats correct I have a 2011 Monoco Knight and the procedure from the manual is slides out first,dump air,then jacks down.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #17

The only reason I can think of for putting your slides out before you level is that your frame would be "Relaxed" no strain on it, put down your levellers and it "Might" twist your frame a little bit if you are on very un-level ground this in turn might cause slides to bind when putting them out. If this is the case I would move to a more level site. Just think of when you open your car door on a hill, depending on what direction you are tilting either you will have to push harder to open your door or hang onto it as it wants to swing open on it's own possibly causing damage. I would not want to open my slides when the coach isn't level.
Just my 2 cents.......
Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
This is the caution right out of my owners manual.
Read the manual first.

CAUTION
To extend or retract the slideout room, the ignition must be off and the park brake set, hydraulic jacks retracted and the motorhome supported by
air suspension. DO NOT operate the slideout room with the air suspension (air springs) deflated or when supported by hydraulic jacks. Damage to the slideout room, mechanism or seals can occur. Confirm the house batteries are fully charged.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
It's going to put the slides in a bind - no matter how slight, it's to much!!!! It has to potential of putting them "out of square" which is never a good thing...

I'd take the coach to a level location, open slides, put in queen mattress, close slides and return home....
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
This is the caution right out of my owners manual.
Read the manual first.

CAUTION
To extend or retract the slideout room, the ignition must be off and the park brake set, hydraulic jacks retracted and the motorhome supported by
air suspension. DO NOT operate the slideout room with the air suspension (air springs) deflated or when supported by hydraulic jacks. Damage to the slideout room, mechanism or seals can occur. Confirm the house batteries are fully charged.

My engine must be running to operate the slide outs.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Read your MFGs. recommendations. Our model Fleetwood is air out, jacks down then slides out. If the keys are in the ignition slides won't work.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My Monaco manual says to put out slides then deploy leveling jacks. The manual doesn't say anything about how much out of level is ok.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
My Monaco manual says to put out slides then deploy leveling jacks. The manual doesn't say anything about how much out of level is ok.
Yep, same with our HR...then slides in, jacks up. Just the opposite of what you would think.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #24

Had my 5th wheel which could fit on my downward sloped driveway for 5 years and put the slides out all the time. Never saw or had an issue in all that time. If the trailer is on the slope the slides are not going to try and level themselves. Do you open your car doors on a hill? What is the problem?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is design. Car doors are meant to be opened when the car is not level. A slide that can weigh is excess of 1,000 + lbs might not be designed to be deployed when the RV is not level.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #26
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
I would say no, but that said, I have seen RV's on Dealership Sales Lots at all angles with the slides out.

We level our RV and then put out the slides.

Safe travels.

JD
I was at a dealer show last month in a parking lot. I asked the salesman about the Schwintek slides and he had no idea what I was talking about. He did, however, tell me that a factory rep was there and should know something. The factory rep said that putting the slides out with the coach not level put a lot of stress on the slides and is the cause of many problems. He pointed out that the dealer had the slides out without the leveling jacks down and that was a bad idea.
The salesman said nothing.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's always best to be level and push slides out. Really out of level would seem to be a problem.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
Thats correct I have a 2011 Monoco Knight and the procedure from the manual is slides out first,dump air,then jacks down.
I am curious about the coaches that do this. Do you have three or 4 jacks to your leveling system. On a three jack system it kind of makes sense. If you level first then put out the slides I would imagine with a three jack system putting out the slides would tip the coach on the jacks a bit. If you have the slides out then level you are leveling the coach with everything deployed. To me with a 4 jack system that is a bit more stabilized and putting the slides out would not make a difference. I of course have no idea and this is just trying to rationalize why they do it differently.