Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Can the inverter supply 110 while traveling?

OK, here is another (probably dumb) MH newbie question.

Our 2006 Country Coach has a 2000 W inverter, a 10K generator, and 50 amp input from shore power when connected. As we left yesterday on our first leg, I thought that the inverter would supply power to the 110 VAC appliances (residential refrigerator) / outlets while traveling, as long as the batteries were adequately charged. I knew I could run the generator while traveling, but with setting up the toad for the first time, I never turned it on before I started.

About 3 hours into the trip my DW went to use the electric to charge her phone, and found that it wasn’t working. That’s when I realized the refrigerator wasn’t on either. We stopped awhile later and I started the generator, but I had been planning to run the heat and refrig when we get to my sons home (Michigan) off the batteries during the night… and run the generator during the day to charge things up. I won’t have access to shore power, and no campgrounds will be open (at least that I’m aware of).

Is there a switch I need to turn on to have the inverter power the coach for 6 or 8 hours?

Thanks for the education. Everyday I learn about 10 new things I didn’t know with this machine. This forum is a lifesaver for rookies like me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You should have an energy management system (like Magnum). There should be a button that you press to activate the inverter.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Should be an on off switch for the inverter in the panel above the entrance door.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

If your trip's appliance use was limited to the refrigerator, then the house batteries should have been able to easily handle the load via inverter.

How old are the house batteries? Did you make sure that they have water?

You can turn the genset ON any time you want during your trip; you don't need to do anything special because the inverter has a transfer switch that automatically selects the best power source.

Do you have LP? If so, use that for the refrigerator.

Was your hot water ON? If so, make sure you use LP to heat the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post

About 3 hours into the trip my DW went to use the electric to charge her phone, and found that it wasn’t working. That’s when I realized the refrigerator wasn’t on either. We stopped awhile later and I started the generator, but I had been planning to run the heat and refrig when we get to my sons home (Michigan) off the batteries during the night… and run the generator during the day to charge things up. I won’t have access to shore power, and no campgrounds will be open (at least that I’m aware of).

Is there a switch I need to turn on to have the inverter power the coach for 6 or 8 hours?

Thanks for the education. Everyday I learn about 10 new things I didn’t know with this machine. This forum is a lifesaver for rookies like me.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

I have a 2002 Allegro Bus, there are only 4 converted outlets, front tv, microwave, and counter top. One other is in front of passenger seat. All other run shore-gen. Power only
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You have good advice about turning the inverter on and off. On my coach the inverter does not power the refrigerator.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

OK, found the switch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Switch.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	198133  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Guess I need to find the manual to figure out what it is all about and make sure I understand it for our trips. I’m assuming I just need to turn the inverter ‘on’ and it will operate things when not connected to shore power or the generator not running.

In this case I see that it says it is float charging the batteries, but I don’t have the charger button pressed, so is it working? Or just showing me what could happen if it was engaged?

OK, some more info. The inverter was replaced about 2 years ago. It is now a Xantrax. I’ll have to dig out the manuals and study them. I have an all electric coach, except for the stove, which uses LP. Heat is supplied by an AquaHot system (again, replaced about 3 years ago I think).

House batteries (and coach I believe) are about 2 years old. I’m on my way north and going to stop near Charlotte NC for a few days. I’m planning to go to the Interstate Battery dealer there and have them check the batteries and let me know their condition. I did add water to the batteries when I got the coach, but I can’t reach 2 cells in one of the house batteries. Interstate said they would help me with those… guess they might have to pull the battery out to check it. I had purchased a Pro Fill system to add when I get to Interstate, but ProFill said their system won’t work with the Interstates. They told me about another system (Aqua Pro) which I’ll order once I’m home so I can water them regularly without spending so much time and effort (took about an hour the first time).

When I left yesterday, I turned the hot water off (it heats with diesel or electric) figuring I wouldn’t really need it while traveling, and wanting to save whatever electric power I could. I never even saw this panel, which sits right above the switches for the aqua hot system.

I purchased from a private party and really didn’t get much of an introduction to the workings of the coach, so it’s been a steep learning curve. I had a 5th wheel for 4 years before this coach and thought I knew a little bit about RVs, but this DP has schooled me every day since I got it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the responses and help.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Who ever installed the residential refrigerator should have set it up to run off the inverter, so turning on the inverter should provide power to the refrigerator.

It sounds like you want to run heat (electric) off the inverter, that will discharge the batteries in short order. Use your Aqua Hot on diesel for your heat while you are dry camping.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

When you travel

Your domestic water should be heated with the loop to your engine.

So when you travel.
And when you arrive at your destination, you will have a. Ice supply of hot water.

If you do not plug in to a 50 amp source.

You can start your aqua hot to maintain a nice supply of hot water.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The Magnum remote shown in your picture will only work with a Magnum inverter.

First depress the Select rotary knob to get all the lights on your remote activated. Then if the Charge green light is not lit, depress the Charger on/off button. In the picture above the Charge function is on, but the lights have timed out.
Then depress the Inverter On/Off button to activate the inverter function. If you remove shore and gen input power, the inverter will automatically start inverting.

Not all your 110v outlets will run from the inverter, just the ones wired to it. Most CC/Monaco refrigerator compartments have a double 110v outlet, one end will run off the inverter and the other end off the shore/generator input. You can remove the refrigerator outside vent to access the outlet and make sure your fridge is plugged into the correct one.

There is another complication. There are both Modified and Pure Sine wave inverters. SOME model residential refrigerators do not run well on modified sine inverters. If you have the popular Samsung RF18 it seems to run just fine on a modified sine wave inverter.

IF your house batteries are toast, consider replacing them with 6V golf cart batteries wired in series pairs. They are designed for a constant charge/discharge cycle and will outlast 12V batteries.

You picked a very nice coach.
Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

Thanks for all the great input!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, there are never any dumb questions. Second, you're already a pretty smart guy on this forum because you bought one of the best coaches out their.

Guess I need to find the manual to figure out what it is all about and make sure I understand it for our trips. I’m assuming I just need to turn the inverter ‘on’ and it will operate things when not connected to shore power or the generator not running.

On my previous coach, similar to yours in systems (2005 Diplomat), I initially turned the INVERTER on and off as needed. Later, I learned to just leave it on all the time, for several reasons. First, even if you're connected to shore power, the coach will seamlessly run if there is a power failure. Second, since you have a residential refer, it needs to be on all the time to power the refer. Third is convenience, like cell phone chargers, etc.

Your INVERTER actually works best while you're driving. As the batteries are being depleted, your alternator is charging them back up.

In this case I see that it says it is float charging the batteries, but I don’t have the charger button pressed, so is it working? Or just showing me what could happen if it was engaged?

Your batteries are fully charged and it's showing you the conditions. On the Magnum control panel you posted, if I recall correctly, the light next to the CHARGER button and INVERTER button only stay lit for a few minutes, showing that the system is engaged. You can be charging and the light won't be on. The reason for this.....the panel goes dark after a period of time and needs to be operated to turn the lights back on.

OK, some more info. The inverter was replaced about 2 years ago. It is now a Xantrax. I’ll have to dig out the manuals and study them. I have an all electric coach, except for the stove, which uses LP. Heat is supplied by an AquaHot system (again, replaced about 3 years ago I think).

House batteries (and coach I believe) are about 2 years old. I’m on my way north and going to stop near Charlotte NC for a few days. I’m planning to go to the Interstate Battery dealer there and have them check the batteries and let me know their condition. I did add water to the batteries when I got the coach, but I can’t reach 2 cells in one of the house batteries. Interstate said they would help me with those… guess they might have to pull the battery out to check it. I had purchased a Pro Fill system to add when I get to Interstate, but ProFill said their system won’t work with the Interstates. They told me about another system (Aqua Pro) which I’ll order once I’m home so I can water them regularly without spending so much time and effort (took about an hour the first time).

I have the ProFill system on my Interstate batteries. It's the BEST investment you'll ever make, plus it will extend the life of your batteries.

When I left yesterday, I turned the hot water off (it heats with diesel or electric) figuring I wouldn’t really need it while traveling, and wanting to save whatever electric power I could. I never even saw this panel, which sits right above the switches for the aqua hot system.

Just a side note, your Aqua Hot system most likely is heating your water while you're driving. The coolant from the engine runs through the Aqua Hot unit, giving you hot water while you drive. Easy to test, just turn your water on after about an hour of driving and see if it's Hot.

I purchased from a private party and really didn’t get much of an introduction to the workings of the coach, so it’s been a steep learning curve. I had a 5th wheel for 4 years before this coach and thought I knew a little bit about RVs, but this DP has schooled me every day since I got it 2 weeks ago.

A lot of "systems" on these DP's. There will be a lot to learn, so come back as ask as you go.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #14

... On our RV: in the exterior access / removable air vent to the back of the refrigerator there’s an electrical outlet with 2 sockets... 1 is fed when we are plugged into 110 volts; the other is fed from the inverter ( powered by the batteries )...Might be your situation, can check with a volt meter ...
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, travel