Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #43
iRV2 No Limits Club
The stickers show the GVWR and the tire pressure required to support that weight with the OEM tires as shipped. Federal Law.
Except when they issue you a modified sticker like we have due to the axle change. And since I went up to a 305 from a 275 that sticker is wrong now.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #44
Fleetwood Owners Club
That's correct, so go by the tire sidewall and Wheel RIM pressure ratings. Don't forget about the RIM... It too has a max, and its max may be less than your tire max.

Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #45

I imagine you and Robin are still in too much of a hurry to periodically weigh your coach at the CAT scales common found at many truck stops. If you don't want to weight your coach, you should use the tire pressures stated on the manufacturer's placard. Unless you've changed tires, the placard pressures should have been established to support the maximum weight for each axle. This way when you have a blow out you can feel safe knowing the tire blow was simply an early warning that you had an axle with too much weight on it.

BTW, how's that CR-V ride with 35psi in the tires.

99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
My MH does not have a built-in scale like Jumbo Jets do. You know, I don't remember what the MH weighed 6 or 8 mos ago. Have I added much since? How much? Guess I need to carry a scale around. This whole thing about tire psi is so silly. People wake up with nightmares over it. Set the psi to what the maximum is minus 5# and forget about it unless your're over the vehicle's gross weight which then, the psi no longer matters.

If something happens to a tire, I'll know it wasn't due to under pressure, and since I keep it 5-10 psi under max it will not be due to over pressure. So. I'll ride on the safe side.
Batman, you have a beautiful coach there and I'm happy that your formula for setting tire pressures works for you.

On my coach, however, 5# under the max psi on the sidewall or placard is >18% above the pressures defined by Michelin and will literally jolt the fillings out of my teeth. I know. I've tried it. So please stick with what works for you but don't tell me I'm "silly" for wanting to get the pressures right on my rig so I can enjoy my ride as much as you enjoy yours.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote