Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
How long has it been since you had it repaired and is the repair holding up?

Never thought about a boat repair shop since I get seasick just looking at boats. I'll see if there's one in Phoenix. Thanks for the on-topic reply.

It was about 6 years ago, I sold that coach this spring. So it was still in great shape 5 1/2 years later.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
..If you find a shop would you let us know please? Thanks.
Who do you think I am, Mikey? (As in, "Let Mikey try it first.") I'll be sure to post a follow up. I like to let everyone know when I find shops and vendors who actually do what they say they'll do.

Right now, I'm talking to three shops: Van's RV Repair and Orangewood RV, both on Bell Rd in Surprise and KISS RV in Peoria. KISS has done some work for me in the past but it was pretty minor stuff.

LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
It was about 6 years ago, I sold that coach this spring. So it was still in great shape 5 1/2 years later.
Thanks, that's very reassuring. I hope the shops I'm talking with do the same quality work. It's great to hear from those who have "been there, done that."

I used to live in Dallas and had clients in McAlester but the only thing I remember are the signs for "The World's Largest Peanut" while driving through Durant on my way to McAlester!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Who do you think I am, Mikey? (As in, "Let Mikey try it first.") I'll be sure to post a follow up. I like to let everyone know when I find shops and vendors who actually do what they say they'll do.

Right now, I'm talking to three shops: Van's RV Repair and Orangewood RV, both on Bell Rd in Surprise and KISS RV in Peoria. KISS has done some work for me in the past but it was pretty minor stuff.

Before you settle on a shop. Get an estimate from APR over in Mesa. I don't have the exact address but they are on Main. I had a similar job as yours a few years ago and APR did a superb job and at very reasonable prices. They bend over backward to work with you. They will listen to your thoughts on the job too. APR. their motto Always Perfect Results.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #19

Looks like it is only glued...maybe cannot see in photo.

You are an engineer so shift into problem solving mode and be in gathering information mode.

Visit a couple shops to collect estimates and wear scruffy clothes and you are a Baker or blue collar person.

Ask the person doing the estimate questions about how they think the thing is built and get them to start commenting on their opinion of how it is built and how they think they will repair it with how it will do in a repeat action.

Suggest nothing and let them be "in control".

You may get different plans and the one who knows what they are doing usually will have a certian confidence in their abilities and you should pick up on that.

Google the shop you select for bad reviews then once you are sure let them have it.

Making it stronger allows it to do more damage next time...
Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
...Looks like it is only glued...maybe cannot see in photo...
It looks to me like it's just glued but there are several Al (?) channels that converge at that point. I don't know how they add to the strength and rigidity of the design. I can barely spell ME, mechanical "stuff" baffles me.

Quote:
...Visit a couple shops to collect estimates...
That's been a problem for the past month due to a foot injury. I can barely hobble around the house. Crawling under the rig to check the damage or driving it to a shop is out of the question. Posting here is my Internet version of a "spec check" to try to understand how these things are built, assembled and repaired. I'm pretty sure some of you guys can build an RV from scratch so I trying to tap that expertise.

Quote:
...Making it stronger allows it to do more damage next time...
I LIKE that! I'm sure I'll do this a few more times before I qualify for President of the Dumb A$$ Club.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #21

Contact shops and send photos and description of your rv.

The folks who know what they are doing have done this before and will give a good estimate.

Contacting the manufacturer and asking if they have an authorized warranty shop would not hurt as that shop would have factory support regarding correct processes for repair.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #22

UPDATE - Selected shop and dropped off moho

Thanks to everyone who gave on-topic, helpful ideas. I narrowed down my list to 3 repair shops and tried to get hard estimates.

Van's RV-Trailer Co in Surprise decided to pass because motorhome body work is outside their area of expertise. They're more than happy to work on appliances and systems inside the rig and above the floor. I appreciated their honesty but that cut my short list to two.

AWR (Award Winning Restoration) in north Phoenix (Cave Creek area) is a great shop in the middle of a residential area. I was expecting a small, shoestring operation but they're pretty professional. There were 5 workers in the yard today plus Carl and his wife. Carl struck me as knowledgeable and personable and I liked his ideas for making the repair strong and durable. After inspecting the damage, Carl's estimate came down to exactly what the next shop quoted. I never told anyone what others had quoted.

KISS My RV Repair in Peoria (623-695-2004) had previously done minor work for me so I gave them another shot. Kelly is their body shop guy and his initial ballpark guesstimate based on photos turned out to be dead on. His description of the repairs were almost identical to AWR but KISS has done this several times in the past. He knew exactly where and how to affix an aluminum plate to the frame and screw the back wall & bumper in place for maximum strength and rigidity.

I decided to go with KISS and left the moho with them. The only downside is that Kelly will be gone T-Day weekend so I may have to wait until Dec 1 or 2 to get the rig back. AWR could have had it done by next week.

I'll update when I get the rig back. Again, thanks to all who offered great advice and ideas.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #23

Silicone vs 3M 5200

Not surprised that a boat mechanic place could do MH repairs. They are skilled at repairing boat damage, some of it severe. No brakes on boats and winds add to the severity of the damage. I would advise anyone thinking of using various sealants such silicone, etc. use 3M 5200 instead. It is pricier, and takes longer to dry but it is both a adhesive and sealant. It is what boaters use to seal hull penetrations both above and below the water line. I have even used it to seal my rain gutter. You can usually find it at the home improvement store, but always at a boat dealer. Just one caveat, 5200 is not for temporary repairs, it's there to stay.
Keep Smiling,
Bob R
Old 12-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #24

FINAL UPDATE - All done & looks good

I selected KISS RV Repair in Peoria (623-695-2004) to fix my 2010 WGO Vista (see photo in original post.) Kelly at KISS RV knew exactly how he could fix it so it would be strong and durable. KISS even warrants the job for a year.

If you look very carefully, you can see the compartment doors are slightly different color because I told him not to bother repainting them. If this were a high-end rig, I'd have had the doors repainted but thought it was "close enough" for an entry level coach. The last photo is of the underside and I can't tell where it was repaired.

The 3rd photo shows where they feathered in the repaired section (near the slideout cover.) The only way I can tell it was painted is because the sealant around the compartment has been painted. It was originally black sealant.

Bottom line, for $1600 all-in, I figure I got away cheap. A shop in Mesa quoted $3500+ without even looking at the damage and wanted me to file an insurance claim. KISS says shops make more money off insurance claims.

Thanks to everyone who offered great advice and insight on how these things are built. It was an expensive but useful lesson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair_1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	113258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair_2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	113259  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair_3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	113260  
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who gave on-topic, helpful ideas. I narrowed down my list to 3 repair shops and tried to get hard estimates.

Van's RV-Trailer Co in Surprise decided to pass because motorhome body work is outside their area of expertise. They're more than happy to work on appliances and systems inside the rig and above the floor. I appreciated their honesty but that cut my short list to two.

AWR (Award Winning Restoration) in north Phoenix (Cave Creek area) is a great shop in the middle of a residential area. I was expecting a small, shoestring operation but they're pretty professional. There were 5 workers in the yard today plus Carl and his wife. Carl struck me as knowledgeable and personable and I liked his ideas for making the repair strong and durable. After inspecting the damage, Carl's estimate came down to exactly what the next shop quoted. I never told anyone what others had quoted.

KISS My RV Repair in Peoria (623-695-2004) had previously done minor work for me so I gave them another shot. Kelly is their body shop guy and his initial ballpark guesstimate based on photos turned out to be dead on. His description of the repairs were almost identical to AWR but KISS has done this several times in the past. He knew exactly where and how to affix an aluminum plate to the frame and screw the back wall & bumper in place for maximum strength and rigidity.

I decided to go with KISS and left the moho with them. The only downside is that Kelly will be gone T-Day weekend so I may have to wait until Dec 1 or 2 to get the rig back. AWR could have had it done by next week.

I'll update when I get the rig back. Again, thanks to all who offered great advice and ideas.
Any information from the OP!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #26

Scott said:

"Well Sir, first off, I'm the president of the "DUMB A$$" club1"

Sir, then I must be the Chairman of the Board!!!

OP - Find a good shop, other then writing a check and working with insurance, should not be problem. Please let us know how it turns out!!

Travel safe, and I do recommend stopping before 'the bump'!
Smitty
Old 12-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Any information from the OP!
See post #24, above yours.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #28

Thanks for being so polite about this Lee. I got to the bottom of page one, and due to screen formatting did not see it was a two page thread...

Looks like a nice outcome.
Best,
Smitty

Tags
repair