Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Can this be repaired strongly & reliably

This may sound like a stupid question but this is the first body damage my 2010 WGO Vista 30W has sustained. Can the damage in the embedded photo be repaired so it is as strong and reliable as the original? I'm concerned the corner will be weaker.

Some dumb a$$ backed my moho too close to the corner of the RV shelter and forget about tail swing while pulling away. The driver's side rear caught the edge of the shelter and pulled the back wall away from the left side wall.

I have quotes around $1.5K-$2K to repair it (not including repaint.) What should the shop use to bond the corner? I'm thinking of having them add some sort of brace on the inside and screwing the sides together. The screw heads can be painted over.

Any advice before I let the shop run amuck? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left rear corner.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	111702  

LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

UH,,, the shop probably does not need to be told how to do the repair correctly. If they do, you better look for another shop.

Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
UH,,, the shop probably does not need to be told how to do the repair correctly. If they do, you better look for another shop.
I agree, in fact, if it were my shop, I would either refuse the job or have you sign a release to claim ownership.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I hooked the right rear bumper on a I beam post, separated the rear cap and it cracked from the lower right corner to the center. First estimate, replace the cap no longer in production, $10-12K. From recommendations on this forum, found a large boat repair business. Did an excellent job repairing it $2.8K.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I hooked the right rear bumper on a I beam post, separated the rear cap and it cracked from the lower right corner to the center. First estimate, replace the cap no longer in production, $10-12K. From recommendations on this forum, found a large boat repair business. Did an excellent job repairing it $2.8K.
How long has it been since you had it repaired and is the repair holding up?

Never thought about a boat repair shop since I get seasick just looking at boats. I'll see if there's one in Phoenix. Thanks for the on-topic reply.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It appears that the back panel is not molded into the side but rather relies on screws to hold it in place. The corner piece looks like it has a removable plastic strip that can be removed.

If this is the way it is constructed then it looks pretty easy to repair. Remove the plastic strip, take out the screws to a point above the damage area, use clamps to pull the back panel into the correct position using a good quality silicon to seal the joint, then use longer screws ( the longest screws you can find, stainless steel if you can afford them) a then just start reattaching the corner molding. The fiberglass panels might be repairable with fiberglass repair kit if the scratches are too deep. The area will have to be repainted. Not a big deal.

I did similar damage to my class C on the front corner of the coach "box" drivers side. Mine panels where white, molding was white, and the plastic filler strip was white. Nothing got scratched up bad. I repaired as above and it held for the 7 years I owned the coach.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post

Agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YES, seen worse.. Shouldn't be much of a problem for a good RV shop.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
This may sound like a stupid question but this is the first body damage my 2010 WGO Vista 30W has sustained. Can the damage in the embedded photo be repaired so it is as strong and reliable as the original? I'm concerned the corner will be weaker.

Some dumb a$$ backed my moho too close to the corner of the RV shelter and forget about tail swing while pulling away. The driver's side rear caught the edge of the shelter and pulled the back wall away from the left side wall.

I have quotes around $1.5K-$2K to repair it (not including repaint.) What should the shop use to bond the corner? I'm thinking of having them add some sort of brace on the inside and screwing the sides together. The screw heads can be painted over.

Any advice before I let the shop run amuck? Thanks.
LeeOts,
Well Sir, first off, I'm the president of the "DUMB A$$" club! Long story short, I've been backing things for decades, fire trucks, moving trucks, tractor trailers, and more, nary and accident. And, in our previous home, I'd backed our coach in to it's cave, many, many times, without incident.
Well, one time backing it in, and the wife was outside monitoring, I got distracted for a micro second and, "nudge" happened. I knew exactly what I hit. I was seriously pi$$ed and, ultra heart broken at the same time. Our beautiful coach had been DEMOLISHED! At least in that spot!

So, off to the local RV repair center I went. I, like you, was about to start telling the shop, how to fix it. By that I mean, I said it's going to take a ton of time to fix this right because of the time frame needed to order up a brand new total rear cap for the coach. He (the shop manager) looked at me in a funny way and stated: "Oh he.. no, we're not going to put a new cap on this.

First off, a rear cap would take months to get. Second, something that large is DEFINITELY going to be damaged in transport. So, we'd have to fix it BEFORE we could install it on your coach anyway. So, we'll just pull that cap off, repair it and re-enforce it from the inside and then, re-install it and do the beauty work on the out side.

Well, exactly three weeks later, they called and said was ready to pickup. The wife and I zoomed on down to pick the big girl up. WOW, we simply could not believe our eyes. The damage to not only the section that I crashed into the corner of our house was flawless but, other sections that sustained "collateral damage" was also repaired to the point that no one on this planet, could ever tell that anything was ever done to the rear of that coach.

So, my point, you most likely don't have to even suggest how to fix your coach. Those boys are schooled and have the experience to know how to EXACTLY JUST WHAT THEY NEED TO DO, to get it back to A-number-1 condition.

The smart thing to do if you have any doubts about their work is, try and get a hold of other folks that have had work done by that company/repair center/body shop. Get their opinions and, if at all possible, look at pre-repair pics and, repaired.

Take a look. The last picture is after the repair. We couldn't be happier.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #10

The corner that's pulled loose is no big deal. That can be reassembled to it's original strength pretty easily (in maybe 2 hours?). If I'm looking at that picture right, the hard part of this job is going to be getting the side to look right without bastardizing the coach. Not sure if the plan is to try and fill those gouges, or if they're going to replace the metal. Both pretty daunting projects if expected to look like new when done.

Make sure you give it a good looking over in a wide open area with good light prior to signing that check. You might even want to have a pro with you to get his blessing as well. Once you sign off, you're pretty much done. Prior to signing off, the ball is in your court. If you aren't happy, the dealer and insurance company will need to come up with a plan to satisfy you.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #11

jacwjames, NMRVer, ahicks and, especially, FIRE UP, thanks for the reassuring words. Sounds like it's not going to be an earthshaking problem.

As an engineer (EE,) I always want to have some idea of what I'm getting into before starting a task. Shops often have an over-inflated sense of their capabilities and their idea of "good"doesn't always jive with my ideas. If a shop starts throwing out FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt,) I want to be able to recognize when I'm getting smoke blown up the exhaust chute. Seeing your comments and photos, I feel confident that any good shop should be able to repair this without worrying about future problems. Thanks. (BTW, my deductible is $1K so there's no way I'm submitting a claim.)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
jacwjames, NMRVer, ahicks and, especially, FIRE UP, thanks for the reassuring words. Sounds like it's not going to be an earthshaking problem.

As an engineer (EE,) I always want to have some idea of what I'm getting into before starting a task. Shops often have an over-inflated sense of their capabilities and their idea of "good"doesn't always jive with my ideas. If a shop starts throwing out FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt,) I want to be able to recognize when I'm getting smoke blown up the exhaust chute. Seeing your comments and photos, I feel confident that any good shop should be able to repair this without worrying about future problems. Thanks. (BTW, my deductible is $1K so there's no way I'm submitting a claim.)
LeeOts,
Well, our deductible is also a $1K. We paid that and, the insurance paid another $8500 for that little "boo-boo". If the facility you're intending on taking it to has any sort of quality reputation, they'll show you work they've done, how bad things were on other coaches prior to repairs, etc., so that you'll get an idea of, what they've been faced with before and, what they pulled off, to make things right.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
LeeOts,
Well, our deductible is also a $1K. We paid that and, the insurance paid another $8500 for that little "boo-boo"...
Scott,
I can see from the photos why your "boo-boo" cost as much as it did and why you're President of the "Dumb A$$ Club." Since my "Oops" doesn't entail any fiberglass damage (that I can see) and I don't have a rear cap, I'm hoping they can put it back together without R&Ring the whole back wall.

I noticed you live in SD county. We used to live 10 miles north of Escondido. Did you have your work done in SD? Depending on the cost, I might drive over to get it fixed at a known, reputable shop. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #14

I gather you are in the Phoenix area. We had a minor boo-boo coming out here to Phoenix for the winter. If you find a shop would you let us know please? Thanks.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair