Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron View Post
So my question is, how reasonable is it for a seller to look for higher than NADA value?
Kind of a dumb question, really. The buyer can ask any price he wants; the seller can offer any price HE wants.

If a seller is highly motivated and anxious to sell, then he will price it lower or be more open to negotiating. If the seller is NOT in a hurry to sell, then the price would likely be higher and he will be less motivated to haggle. Neither is wrong nor unreasonable; just how it is.

If a buyer is highly motivated and anxious to buy, then he will offer more and be more open to negotiating. If the buyer is NOT in a hurry to buy, then he would likely offer a lower price and be less likely to haggle. Again, neither is wrong nor unreasonable, just how it is;

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #16

Most people will way overprice their rigs based on very little fact and a whole lotta emotion. This would be especially true if they use dealer listings of similar model coach's as their guide. Twice I bought used class A's and traded the first for the second. I used a basic formula of 30%-35% off original list, which is one area I find very helpful from NADA, for year one, than I deduct 10%-12% for each subsequent year in service. I have found this will get me close to what my research and gut tell me a rig is worth. Buying my second rig that is the formula I used to determine my trade in value of my trade and I also used it to determine the price of the one year old to the day unit I was interested in. The dealer and I quickly agreed on my trade value, and we were 18K apart on the price of the one year old rig. I went up 2K and held firm, after the usual go talk to sales manager, owners of company etc. dance, we had a deal. I probably under valued my trade a little but got the one year old 4000 mile rig at a price some dealers were asking for 6-8 year old rigs 30K + miles. Good Luck, there is a rig out there waiting for your love, lol.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #17

Any time I ever tried to sell something, I set the price higher than what I expected to get. If someone offers less it may well fall into the area of what I really wanted. So offer less even if your happy with what they are asking. I figure most people leave some wiggle room.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #18

Buying a RV, car, or whatever, do you like it? Is it exactly what you want? Is the price reasonably fair? How much is your time and aggravation worth trying to find something similar to save a few bucks?

I'm not one to waste hours and get continually aggravated looking for something that saves me a few cents or bucks, once I have found what I want. Am I going to significantly over pay, no. But, once I found what I want, and the price is fair, I'm closing the deal and moving on with life.

No matter what you are buying, there is usually a lot more garbage on the market that you have to sift through than high quality products, and I have little tolerance for that........

In the other side of the buy / sell equation in, I've sold 2 cars in particular and our last home, at prices significantly over the average price because the cars / home were exceptional. In all cases, the first person to see the car / home bought it at "my price" because they appreciated what they were getting.............

If it's what you want, just get it and enjoy it...............
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought my 98 7 years ago from a local dealer. After we agreed on price and trade the paperwork was different than expected. The paperwork showed 2-3 times the value of trade in and then they used the commercial Nada site and by the time they added all the options the purchase price was really high. The net I paid due to adjusted tradein was the same as agreed.

I assume they do this to raise apparent sale values for Nada or other appraising organizations.

Now that my MH is close to 20 years old I don't think Nada values would hold true. When I sell it I will evaluate the pricing on PPL sales and Rv Trader to come up with a fair value. When I decide on a value I will probably add some to provide a little wiggle room.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
First of all, NADA sucks. A motorhome is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. You cn add for new tires, subtract for old tires, add for residential refer, add for sat dish, subtract for rubber roof but it all boils down to what a like unit has recently sold for and what you are willing to pay.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Looking at buying a '98 Tiffin Class A that appears to be in pretty good shape with 40-50k miles. Asking price is about $1-2k over NADA average retail. I know that needing new tires, etc. can take a chunk OFF the value - however, this unit has fairly new tires, and the seller claims close to $10k in brake work, generator upgrade and other items done a couple years ago. The paint, decals, upholstery, etc. are in decent shape, but not spectacular time capsule condition.
So my question is, how reasonable is it for a seller to look for higher than NADA value? If this unit was in climate-controlled storage, had all records for all service intervals and 10k miles on it, I'd certainly expect to pay a premium. Just not sure how "special" a coach needs to be before you can expect to pay higher than NADA.
JimmyNeutron
Usually sellers think their coaches are worth more than NADA says and most buyers think what's for sale is worth less.
(Only you can decide how "special"any coach you are considering is to you).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #22

A few other comments, and yeah I think the overs covered it pretty well.... NADA is something, but sure not too much. PPL is also a good place to get a 'feel' for what is going on too. And as stated multiple ways, price is between the seller and buyer - they determine what that number is.

One other factor to be aware of:

-On the sale price, that you might see reflected in NADA or PPL. Many times a dealer related sell may have a contractual sale price of $XX,ZZZ (Say $75,000 in this example.), but then have credits and allowances of $7,500 (Tire credit, battery credit, an appliance not working credit, etc.). So in this case the posted sale price of the RV is $75K, the actual price to the buyer is $67,500 (Leaving sales tax and registration out of this for ease of math.). Why? Well the commission to the salesman, is based upon 'sales price' of $75,000, so he/she is getting commission off of $7500 more. (And boy, if you add on an extended warranty, and or undercoating, and or super slick never need to wax your RV again paint finish, and or etc. - the sales person gets a nice hunk of that $$ too!

-And the other factor, which of course I have never been a party too, is the sales price of say again $75,000, but then the second receipt for the DMV price of say $50,000. The registration fees and sales tax collected by a specific state, if any, are based upon that $50,000 value, which of course saves the buyer some coin. (Is it cheating? Yeah legally. But many argue this is double, triple, or more taxation on the same product, each and every time a RV or Car changes hands, the state gets a piece of the action... Each of us make our own decisions on if that double, triple or more taxation is ethical by the state.)

So both of the two examples, are what are reported by NADA when they come up with their numbers. PPL, I've never dealt with them, so do not know if the 'credit and allowances' are part of some of their strategy of writing up a sales contract. Suspect it is, as PPL gets a piece of the actual sales price.

Now gang, let me tell you about some swamp land in Florida. And with it, for the next 5 responders, I'll toss in a genuine $20 gold piece. Operators are standing by...

Best to all. Do your homework when buying an RV. Determine what is important to you and your significant other. Go shopping. If you find an RV that is obviously better maintained, with documentation and appearance and condition to prove this. As well as inspection and sample analysis too. And it meets what you both feel you are looking for. Do not be afraid to pay up to get it. You can easily spend $5 - $25K to bring an not so well cared for similar coach, back up to this same condition.

$.02,
Smitty
Old 07-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #23

Agreed that a coach must be roadworthy to take a test drive, otherwise it should be considered parts or salvage. However, new brakes have more value than those on the next coach that will need the same work done in two years.

If it needs tires, I deduct half the cost of new tires from my offer. The reasoning is that 50% wear is the average expectation on a used vehicle. I enter the age of the tires in years and the cost of a new set and the spreadsheet prorates the value in calculating my offer price.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #24

If you have a copy ofNADA book,somewhere in the back is an explanation of how those numbers are calculated.it is the average selling price across the country,decided by a committee of RV dealers.these are suggested numbers,not engraved in concrete.example: truck campers sell for more money in Northwest than in Texas.......Ken
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenautoone View Post
If you have a copy ofNADA book,somewhere in the back is an explanation of how those numbers are calculated.it is the average selling price across the country,decided by a committee of RV dealers. these are suggested numbers, not engraved in concrete. example: truck campers sell for more money in Northwest than in Texas.......Ken

It's a "GUIDE" book.... (not an "EXACT VALUE" book).
Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Looking at buying a '98 Tiffin Class A that appears to be in pretty good shape with 40-50k miles. Asking price is about $1-2k over NADA average retail. I know that needing new tires, etc. can take a chunk OFF the value - however, this unit has fairly new tires, and the seller claims close to $10k in brake work, generator upgrade and other items done a couple years ago. The paint, decals, upholstery, etc. are in decent shape, but not spectacular time capsule condition.

So my question is, how reasonable is it for a seller to look for higher than NADA value? If this unit was in climate-controlled storage, had all records for all service intervals and 10k miles on it, I'd certainly expect to pay a premium. Just not sure how "special" a coach needs to be before you can expect to pay higher than NADA.
Some people just don't "get" what NADA value really is. It sounds like you might. If the coach doesn't appear to be anything special, it's not, pure and simple.

Agree with the previous comments regarding maintenance items. You would assume the coach has been reasonably well maintained to arrive at just the NADA value. Because he spent money to bring it up to standard serviceable condition does nothing for the value of the coach. Not in my book anyway.

Last, I really just wanted to add one thought. Because of this coach's age, bank financing is very difficult, if not impossible to come by. The buyer of this coach will likely be paying cash. This means there are not a lot of qualified buyers available - which translates directly to the number of people looking at his coach. Safe bet he's not showing it often. If he's over NADA, that means even less often. Point being, if he's serious about selling, he'll be very attentive to any offers.... I like the idea of checking what similar offerings, actually sold by PPL, might be going for, and using that as a basis for an offer.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
NADA is worthless. The North American Dealers Associaton, NADA, try's to set prices at which they can make a profit. Look at the unit and decide if you are willing to pay the price for it. I've never paid NADA prices for anything. Worthless.....
Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

The short answer is Yes, otherwise it would not be an "average price".

Except, there is no real NADA "Average Price"!

NADA values for MH's are not based upon completed transactions. Instead they are an arbitrary depreciated value that NADA assigns.

The successful buyer establishes the reasonable price by completing the transaction.

So use the NADA as a guide, but not a Fact.....

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nada