Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 AM   #1

Question Can value of used MH exceed NADA?

Looking at buying a '98 Tiffin Class A that appears to be in pretty good shape with 40-50k miles. Asking price is about $1-2k over NADA average retail. I know that needing new tires, etc. can take a chunk OFF the value - however, this unit has fairly new tires, and the seller claims close to $10k in brake work, generator upgrade and other items done a couple years ago. The paint, decals, upholstery, etc. are in decent shape, but not spectacular time capsule condition.

So my question is, how reasonable is it for a seller to look for higher than NADA value? If this unit was in climate-controlled storage, had all records for all service intervals and 10k miles on it, I'd certainly expect to pay a premium. Just not sure how "special" a coach needs to be before you can expect to pay higher than NADA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We all value our motorhomes and most try to make them as perfect as possible. That said, those who love their coaches but for one reason or another decide to sell, generally add emotional value. My daughter and husband are looking at an '07 Winnebago 35J. Low book is around $45K as I recall. One owner. Kept garaged. 35K miles, mostly yearly trips to FL. Older couple. Comes with bunks. Owner quite honest about condition. All the receipts. Asking $42,500. It is likely worth more but they have bought a home in FL and just want it gone before winter.

Do not let the beauty of one unit get to you. Make sure to check tire date codes. They can look great and the buyer can point out the tread. Tread depth means little compared to age. Keep looking, better deals are out there. If it is the one for you, make a fair offer. If they really want to sell it .... they will.

Good luck and report back.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
"Can value of used MH exceed NADA" The value is what the buyer "thinks it is". Dosen't really matter what the seller wants. When shopping coaches you pretty much get the range of asking prices. Then when you find an exceptional one, you'll know if it is worth the additional $$.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do these improvements / maintenance items have added value to you? If you bought a similar unit without these things, would you then spend addition money to add theses things? i.e. tires are added value, If the tires are in bad shape on your new purchase, odds are good you would spend additional money for new tires.

However, you may not care about the upgraded upholstery.

Previous owners generally have a high price because of emotional attachment. Shop around
Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Used RVs are frequently listed at absurdly high asking prices. I have seen sellers of three year old coaches ask more than a brand new one can be bought for. Beware. Offer only what you think it is worth, which may be far less than the asking price.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #6

When buying our present coach. we used NADA and PPL used coach sales, then adjusted the price for those things I found that needed immediate attention like tires and a hub oil seal. The owner was a little surprised at my offer but when I showed him how I derived at the price he accepted my offer. After the hand shake, he shocked me announcing he was also going to throw in everything he had RV related including air compressors, tools, dishes etc. I told him I would buy them from him but he said a deal is a deal and I could have them.

Anyway, here is the PPL web site listings for sold motorhomes. This just gives you one more way to price a unit.

Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

A 1998 is almost 20 years old. NADA is effectively useless. A $2000 set of tires or new refrigerator can be a a big chunk of what it's "worth". NADA says a water soaked mess is worth the same as a garage kept perfect motorhome. Offer what you think it's worth, and move on if the owner doesn't agree.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron View Post
Asking price is about $1-2k over NADA average retail. So my question is, how reasonable is it for a seller to look for higher than NADA value?
Average selling price is just that, an average. This means that some will sell for higher and some will sell for lower to get an average price. Only you can determine if the unit is worth paying above the "average" price. As Tim said, make an offer and see what they will accept.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

One thing that stands out from your post: The seller is pointing out $10k of brake work as an "improvement" or added value. Bringing a coach up to acceptable mechanical standards, like needed brake work, or normal engine maintenance does NOT increase "value".

PPL selling prices (not asking prices) are a much better indicator of a "fair sale price". Do you inspections, make an offer, and move on if the balk.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
A 1998 is almost 20 years old. NADA is effectively useless. A $2000 set of tires or new refrigerator can be a a big chunk of what it's "worth". NADA says a water soaked mess is worth the same as a garage kept perfect motorhome. Offer what you think it's worth, and move on if the owner doesn't agree.
That's the truth. I think most people would ask for a reduction in price for a coach that needed immediate tire replacement, but wouldn't add value to a coach with new tires.

I would add that $10,000 of brake work isn't worth anything to me as I wouldn't buy a coach that wasn't in good operating condition.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Also, does the owner have written documentation of the brake work? And what exactly does "generator upgrade" mean? Did he install a newer, or larger generator? Or did he do maintenance on the existing generator?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common to find an older coach in very good condition going for more than the NADA values, as the average older coach is not in such condition.

In your case, it does not sound like such a situation. Repairs to restore proper operation do not add significantly to the value. Most coaches seem to sell somewhere between low and average book value figures (with miles included but options not included).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read what NADA list as being the requirements of Average, etc and make a judgement. For an average condition, I would expect a few cosmetic problems, but no mechanical problems and tires with at least 1/2 their useful life, and the unit currently serviced.

Truthfully, what we have seen is Low Retail with no options added as a realistic retail price.

The owner can ask for what ever he wants on the unit, but the market place will determine the true value. To the owner, it is the most perfect unit on the road.

If everything is in working order and no apparent physical damage, I'd offer Low Retail, no options and make that a final offer.

Ken
Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If the "NADA value" you are talking about is the free online version, it is just estimated depreciation anyway. It is not an average selling price! To get a value based on selling prices, you have to buy the subscription version from their website. And even then, it's just an average.

As others have already said, at that age condition is the only meaningful measure of value. The rest is up to your opinion as well as the sellers. He probably thinks it is worth more than you do, but it's your money, so you have to decide.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nada