Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

Can we recharge roof AC units ourselves?

Hi folks...after waiting 15 mins + two different times w/ Dometic cust service and getting no one, and looking on the RV systems forum, and looking trhu the owners manual and not seeing it, I thought I'd try here...I always get good feedback on this forum...

Sooooo...I am wondering can you charge up the a Dometic Rooftop AC unit like we do with our cars? Or is it a pro only deal?

Thanks,
Kevin
KConnington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #2

Rv air conditioners do not come with the Shrader valves on the low and high side. So the answer is No.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Powderman is right. We just had to replace our rear AC unit. Had it been serviceable I have all the equipment to do it but no such luck.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Rv air conditioners do not come with the Shrader valves on the low and high side. So the answer is No.
Someone who services ACs could add the valves but if the unit needs refrigerant it has a leak so adding it would be the band-aid approach.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't say but I was wondering if your Dometic units run?? Do they just not blow cold?? If they DON'T run it might be a hard start relay or switch. I had several guys tell me about that when I was having problems with mine.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KConnington View Post
Hi folks...after waiting 15 mins + two different times w/ Dometic cust service and getting no one, and looking on the RV systems forum, and looking trhu the owners manual and not seeing it, I thought I'd try here...I always get good feedback on this forum...

Sooooo...I am wondering can you charge up the a Dometic Rooftop AC unit like we do with our cars? Or is it a pro only deal?

Thanks,
Kevin
Well, can it be done? Of course it can. Man made it, man can fix it. The real question of course is "Is it cost effective"? The answer to that is most likely No, unless you have the expertise to do it yourself. In simple terms, adding in the schrader valves, hooking up a vacuum pump and gauges and recharge the system.
I used to repair those little window AC units (same type of product) in my former life in North Africa by the bushel. But, we had nothing but time and money was no object. Not to mention new units were scarce and it was dam hot outside.

One of the killers with these things is Low Starting Voltage. A good EMS with low voltage cut out will pay for itself.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
You don't say but I was wondering if your Dometic units run?? Do they just not blow cold?? If they DON'T run it might be a hard start relay or switch. I had several guys tell me about that when I was having problems with mine.
Right! first of all see if compressor is running. You can do this by removing roof cover, start just the fan only, they have someone turn it on to cold, as cold as it can go. If you feel a change in noise, and you feel a humming from compressor that means its running. At that point, cheaper to replace. If nothing changes it could be some other electrical problem.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #8

It depends on how old the unit is. I had an older motorhome that had the correct ports and I added the appropriate freon.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

Short answer is NO.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
May want to explain what issue you are having. Low refrigerant isn't the only issues these units have!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #11
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
It depends on how old the unit is. I had an older motorhome that had the correct ports and I added the appropriate freon.
What type of refrigerant dod you use?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Troubleshoot and yes, the service valves can be added.

If you are getting them replaced, let me know if you are condemning them and I will pay for shipping for the "bad ones".
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
What type of refrigerant dod you use?
You have to date the unit to ensure use of the proper freon. I had a collection of older freon bottles and had the proper solution to add.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #14
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
You have to date the unit to ensure use of the proper freon. I had a collection of older freon bottles and had the proper solution to add.
If its a older unit as you say, they only used one refrigerant

Tags
roof