Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Can we stay warm and keep pipes from freezing without propane?

We are newbees on a steep learning curve and could use some experienced help. We are in a 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PAQ and currently in a location where we only have a 110 power source. We just ran out of propane (miss read gauge). Temp is forecast to get down to around 30. We have plenty of diesel. Can we stay warm and more importantly keep tanks and pipes from freezing by just using generator?

PA Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
If all the plumbing is inside the Coach and if the holding tanks are fairly full, you should be ok. I'd be sure to dump the grey water and fill up the fresh water tank to about 2/3, which shouldn't freeze. I'd also disconnect the city water connection. Open the cabinet doors under the various sinks. If you have RV anti-freeze, you could dump a cup into each P-Trap to include the shower. Make sure to run the hot water heater before you go to bed and once again when you wake up. If you have 120V shore power and an electric heater, you should be in business.

These steps have helped me with our Class C. Hope this helps.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well let's see... LP runs the gas heat which would heat the bay's and water line areas. If you are only in the 30 area I think you will be ok. I would not keep water line hooked up. If you have a electric heater you could run it off the 120 feed. Now the generator you could run if not camping with folks that would mine the sound... If you do you could run your electric heat which is likely heat pumps. Don't leave any windows open for gen fumes getting inside. If you run heat pumps open cabinets that have water lines in them...I would be getting some Lp soon if you can... I also put a drop light in the wet bay to provide heat just don't let the bulb get against anything that could melt or fire up... Good luck GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've had our Endeavor parked in our yard with temps down to the high 20s with no problems. There was no heat on, other than a drop light on at night in the wet bay. If we expected lows in the mid 20s I would open the low point drains and blow out the lines with compressed air. Our Endeavor has a small electric heater in the wet bay. Does yours? There is a switch on the hallway control panel for it. Your heat pumps are only good down to about 40 degrees. Below that and the system will try to run the furnace.
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
For many years I've experienced an unheated RV, in a place where day highs reach 50 and night lows do not fall below 28, residual daytime heat will prevent water lines from freezing. Your RV is heated by electric, which greatly improves that experience.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a wet bay heater, a small 12 volt heater that can keep the wet bay and water tanks warm. If so turn it on and you will be fine.

Normally the propane furnace also provides heat to the basement, if you aren't running the furnace then there will be no heat. You could put a drop light down there an it would help.

Temps in the low 30's you'll be fine. If it gets in the low 20's you could have problems.

I actually moved to Northern Michigan (the UP) in late March of 2011, and lived in my motorhome. There was snow on the ground and we got another 24" of snow during the month of April. Temps got down into the low teens some nights. I did not have full 50 amp hook ups but 2 120 volt outlets, 20 amps each. I seldom ran the propane furnace but instead relied on a small heater in the living quarters and one in the basement, each on separate power cords. I left the cabinet base doors open so the water lines wouldn't freeze. I would keep the slides in most of the time, only extending them if we had warmer weather and no snow. I also had a remote temp sensor in the basement so I could monitor the temps. On cold nights it would get down in the low 30's in the coach, I slept under a heavy comforter and I was comfortable.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
PA; I have an Endeavor as well, and had been in temperatures in the low 20's without any issues. The wet bay does have electric heat and it kept it from freezing.
2009 Monaco Camelot 425 HP cunmins ISL 40QDP
Toad- 2011 ford- flex tow 4 wheel down
rvadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
For many years I've experienced an unheated RV, in a place where day highs reach 50 and night lows do not fall below 28, residual daytime heat will prevent water lines from freezing.
Agreed although we've gotten down to 21 and only about 38 in the daytime with no problems.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Thanks to all who responded. Without our own experience to fall back on this forum is invaluable. All of you were helpful and we will sleep well tonight. We are thrilled on being part of this community. Thanks again all.
PA Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tell us how you feel you made out tomorrow.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
All good advice....depending on humidity and outside temps - your heat pumps may not work. They will only work down to a certain temp and then they frost/freeze up. At least that is my experience.

'05 TS DPusher (Model - Travel Supreme - Original)
'09 Lincoln MKX - Demco bar
"Over 35 years later....still on our honeymoon" ....Different Motorhome.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote