Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The Point I was trying to make for the OP was in can be done and this is our second winter of doing it.
And yes, you've given some very good pointers. It's not my intention to second guess any of it.

Quote:
If there was any way to be practical and do it I would love to have a pellet stove fireplace in the camper. That would heat your camper up in very cold weather I suspect. Unfortunately the space it would take up and having to run the stove pipe out of the camper and storing the pellets would be too many problems for me to deal with but it would make for a really cozy camper.

LOL! I bet that would be cozy. Last time we were house shopping, we looked at a couple that were heated by a wood burning outdoor boiler, that then circulated hot water to radiators or air handlers in the house. You need one of those!

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
For sure you can survive living winter in a class A but...
any RV, no matter the size or the price tag, is not built for a cold winter living suite. It is a ± 3 seasons home on wheels.
Just by their construction and insulation factor, no way thet you'll be confortable in any RV in cold weather; the walls are 3" thick if you are lucky just like the ceiling, so you do get ± 2" of insulation
Forget about the floor insulation, other then the carpet, there is nothing else insulating the floor of any RV; if you have an heated basement, it will save your pipes from freezing but won't give you the confort inside the RV.
If you plan to use your RV all year long, just head south east or south west states or Mexcico from early november and don't come back up north til mid april.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #17

We used to leave for the south in early January. It can be very cold in WI at that time. To prepare for it, I had the bottom of our 40' 03 Phaeton sprayed with urethane. It created a 2" insulation layer beneath the 1" insulation board basement floor. I included the wet bay bubble and cut out for the drain hole. The wet bay was heated, but I added a 12 volt "Back Seat Heater" that Holiday Rambler used to use in their wet bays and set it at 40*. I also had a small electric heater in the basement that was caged so nothing could get close to it. That was used when we were plugged in to keep the basement warm. It helped to keep the living area more comfortable. The coldest we ever had to travel in was -17* with no problems and we had a full fresh water tank. I wouldn't want to live in those temps very long, but anything above 10* would not be a problem if you prepare properly.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
And yes, you've given some very good pointers. It's not my intention to second guess any of it.

LOL! I bet that would be cozy. Last time we were house shopping, we looked at a couple that were heated by a wood burning outdoor boiler, that then circulated hot water to radiators or air handlers in the house. You need one of those!

Not trying to hijack the thread But actually my next door neighbor in my stick and brick house has an earth sheltered home and has exactly what you are talking about. He has radiant heated floors which are heated with circulating hot water. The water is piped outside to a rather large wood burning stove which has the fire temp somewhat controlled by a fresh air dampener system. For times he does not want to go out in the snow or whatever to fill the woodbox it has 40 gallon hot water that can be used to heat the water as an alternative heat source.

I love the wood pellet fireplace. Since it is burning wood it has a nice flame. The biggest difference is that it is controlled by a thermostat. We set it to 70 until we go to bed then the thermostat automatically drops the temp to 65. At 7am when we get up the thermostat brings the temp back up to 70. Is a great system. It would be perfect in the Motor home but like I said would be too much trouble to implement.

As I have said the OP is talking about midwest winters. I kinda think of Oklahoma as being the midwest. I have spent the last two winters in my Motor home due to my wife taking a job to spend some time near parents. It is not uncomfortable just takes a bit of work to get ready.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

I have a 36' allegro That I am moving into full time in September, I will ride out the missouri winter in it. THis is what I plan on using.

Mini 12 CT Survival Stove (Black) - GrayStove.com
Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohermit View Post
I have a 36' allegro That I am moving into full time in September, I will ride out the missouri winter in it. THis is what I plan on using.

Mini 12 CT Survival Stove (Black) - GrayStove.com

I just hope that your insurance Cie agrees with this "funny or weird and dangerous arrangement" !
Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
thanks everybody for all the replies and support.
I'm actually looking forward to 'roughing' it in my first winter in a mh.

I'm probably going to retire next year, so will take one of the poster's advice and simply head south during the winter months then come back up to enjoy the other 3 seasons. This year, however, I'm restricted to 6 weeks in floida (3 at end of year and 3 at beginning takes care of my vacation time.)

Hope I don't run into an early snow storm going south across jellico tn mountain. lol
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
We were 2 winters in Indianapolis, coldest nights were in the -20's

1. Bought a heated water hose good to -40 degrees. Built in Ohio if I recall...not cheap.
2. Never had the black or gray tanks open. Dumped once a week.
3. Filled the water tank and ran off the water pump...we always do anyway. That way we could shut the water off at the hydrant. Plus a full tank of water is a good heat(cold) sink on the coldest nights. Lot's of BTU's in 100 gallons of water.
4. We used about 150 gallons of propane during one winter, supplemented with electric heaters, but not too much to keep the bays warm.

No insulation around the coach or in the windows. It is entirely possible and comfortable.

Tags
class a, winter