Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Can you add water to Winnebago fresh water tank, if no water pressure available?

When we dry camp for several days and our fresh water tanks are depleted, how can we refill tanks if no hose is available. With our trailers it was possible to gravity feed 5 gallon containers. Our motor home as a diverted valve for the fresh water hose. (house or fill tank) this appears to require water pressure to fill tank.

Do I need a pump to add water?

PS it is a new Winnebago Adventurer.
dcleavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a gravity fill next to the entry door for just such cases. It came from Winnie that way. It is a small door with a key lock.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

I bought a water pump to pump water from 7 gal containers into my water tank. I bought one smaller pump and didnt do the job so bought a larger pump and returned the other one.

Let me know if you want to know the hp of motor or what ever. Bought it at Tractor Supply when I was in PA
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
In the water compartment look for the diverter valve that is used for winterizing. You should have a plastic tube used to pull the anti freeze into the system.
Place the tube in your water container, place the diverter in winterize or bypass position, turn the fill tank/city water valve to fill tank and turn on the water pump. This will pull the water from your source and fill the water tank.

I use the larger 2 gallon bottles when in a pinch and this method works real well.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2000 Adventurer has the afore mentioned gravity fill aft of the entry door. It also came with an aspirator system in the fwd passenger side basement bay by the hot water heater. It would be a slow process but could be filled by this method, probably from a 5 gal bucket.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our Dutch Stars have had a hose off the water pump to use for winterizing. Turn a couple valves and turn on the pump and it'll pull the water (or other liquid) into the system or tank depending on the diverter valve setting. Use it to instill antifreeze or bleach into the system or tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcleavenger View Post
When we dry camp for several days and our fresh water tanks are depleted, how can we refill tanks if no hose is available. With our trailers it was possible to gravity feed 5 gallon containers. Our motor home as a diverted valve for the fresh water hose. (house or fill tank) this appears to require water pressure to fill tank.

Do I need a pump to add water?

PS it is a new Winnebago Adventurer.
Is it a 38J? If so, I feel your pain. LOL I've not had to do that yet but I think you (and I) have seen a couple suggestions that might work.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting. Does the new Adventurer actually not have a gravity fill port?

Is it possible it is just not obvious? The port on my 05 Journey is in a curbside basement compartment behind a white plastic lockable door. In my case it is the same compartment that has the freshwater pump.

Having a spare water pump onboard when you travel that is configured as a transfer pump for filling your tanks in the situations you are describing kills two birds.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #9

You don't say what year your adventurer is, but on my 2002 there is a lockable door next to the entry door that I have used to put water in the tank. It's a slow process, but doable.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2007 Adventurer has no such gravity fill port.

Nor will the above mentioned technique, using the pump, the diverter valve and the pickup tube fill up the fresh water tank. It will only put water to the discharge side of the pump's plumbing. ie the interior water lines. the tank is on the inlet side of the pump.

Now, with a few more valves, some tubing and fittings, it could be done. But I'd personally just go with a second pump, my existing plumbing setup and fill via the factory method.

FWIW
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Interesting. Does the new Adventurer actually not have a gravity fill port?...
I know that according to my 2006 Adventurer owner's manual the 38J was the only model without a gravity feed.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I know that according to my 2006 Adventurer owner's manual the 38J was the only model without a gravity feed.
Maybe they chose to eliminate the gravity feed port when they decided to install the inline water filters to filter eveything going to inside plumbing or the tank.

Kind of hard to gravity feed/push water thru a filter element without alot of gravity (height).
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
Maybe they chose to eliminate the gravity feed port when they decided to install the inline water filters to filter eveything going to inside plumbing or the tank.

Kind of hard to gravity feed/push water thru a filter element without alot of gravity (height).
Maybe except mine didn't come with an in line filter...I added one though. You might have a point still.