Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #43

Well I never thought I would see the day but I fell ill on our way south this winter and DW insisted I show her how to hook up and dump. She has since dumped the tanks a few times even though I am much better now. You just never know.

My thoughts on it are that if I kick the bucket she still wants to camp. LOL
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #44
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"I am master of this motorhome. Whatever my wife says shall be done"

With that, back in 2007 with a Montana 3400RL 5th wheel we pulled into a park. Leveled, unhooked, slides out, and she starts on the inside while I do the outside. However, on this particular day my back was bothering me. I asked if she could help. The black/gray water outlet is just under the slide and one has to bend, crouch, in order to hook up the hose. I asked if she would do it and explained to take the black cap off and hook up "this end" in it's place.

She said, "I'm not going to get anything on me, am I?" To which I replied, "No, there may be just a little trickle of residue of water.

She duck walks under the slide and pulls the black cap off. Abut two gallons of water came out. Fortunately it was gray water as I had forgot to close the valve.

So to answer your question, absolutely not. She wouldn't get near the sewer compartment or hose with a 10 foot pole.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She has done it to date. But if there was a need I have no doubt she would step up and do so. If I were unable or unavailable to talk her through it she would find someone to show her how it's done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #46

Smile Holding tanks , should your wife learn to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter View Post
I tease my wife all the time that she needs to do this chore in case I'm unable sometime for whatever reason. She is not to keen on the idea. She swears she will hire someone to do it. That got me to thinking about the rest of the women in the RV world. Will your wife do the deed.
I would say from experience , yes learn to so everything you can.
My husband had a stroke and open heart surgery and I took over in 2007 doing everything. I also have an RV repair gal to help .
If you really love the RV life style learn as much as you can.
Safe and happy travels
time2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
We got into this adventure knowing that someday we would HAVE to do it without the help of the other. Except for backing the rig through a tight spot, we are pretty much cross-trained on everything. Go girl, go! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a case of needs and wants. If I need her to do it she will graciously, if I just want her to she would not be as nice.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #49

There is a similar post about driving. I full-time solo. I go somewhere new every weekend and dry-camp more often then not. If I want it done, I have to just do it
wingennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #50

Dump the tanks? Not a chance.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a macerator pump. Basically you just put the hose in the septic open the valve on the end of the hose, Open the dump valves, and turn on the pump. Hook the hose to the black tank cleaner up to water and then turn on the water to clean and run until the water in the clear hose at the end is clean. Close the dump valves, turn off the pump. close the valve on the end of the hose and store it back into the wet area. My wife has done it several times.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, especially when we were full timing it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
But then, I wasn't really into diaper changing when our kids were little . . .
I'm with ya here!!
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
"I am master of this motorhome. Whatever my wife says shall be done"

With that, back in 2007 with a Montana 3400RL 5th wheel we pulled into a park. Leveled, unhooked, slides out, and she starts on the inside while I do the outside. However, on this particular day my back was bothering me. I asked if she could help. The black/gray water outlet is just under the slide and one has to bend, crouch, in order to hook up the hose. I asked if she would do it and explained to take the black cap off and hook up "this end" in it's place.

She said, "I'm not going to get anything on me, am I?" To which I replied, "No, there may be just a little trickle of residue of water.

She duck walks under the slide and pulls the black cap off. Abut two gallons of water came out. Fortunately it was gray water as I had forgot to close the valve.

So to answer your question, absolutely not. She wouldn't get near the sewer compartment or hose with a 10 foot pole.
+1 Even though she wears the pant in our household, anything with wheels is my realm.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
My DW doesn't even know where the valves are.
X2......and does not care to know!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW dump the tanks?

I have to admit we have always had our own separate chores. The tanks are mine. I would not ask her to dump but like one other said, I did have her pull the gray once when I saw the level was VERY high when I was in the shower and the water stopped draining. I usually monitor the levels and this was a surprise. Only happened once.
I am sure she understands the process as she has observed me on a number of occasions but I would never ask her to do this process unless it was absolutely necessary. She cleans the toilet and I dump the tanks. I figure I got the easy task.

Travel safe!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank