Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to laugh when I read your post. You might better have asked "is there anybody who CAN'T hear their water pump running?'

I've never had an RV that we couldn't hear the water pump run. I worked on the 1st one to silence it and decided I like to hear it run after spending money on a "Quiet" pump, special mounting and soundproof enclosures.

Water pumps are noisy and waste tank sensors never work right. That's just how it is in the RV world. Period.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Water pumps are noisy and waste tank sensors never work right. That's just how it is in the RV world. Period.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the responses, I think I will leave everything the way the factory did it. It's a good thing to hear the pump, and thats that!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

From at least four blocks away. I've heard fire truck sirens that were quieter! I'm sure it will self-destruct at some point, but it only runs when we're actually on the go someplace, not at a CG and on city water.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Don't have an expansion tank and definately hear it run. I like that, let's me know if there is a leak somewhere. Had a slow leak that I really would never have found until things rotted if I had not heard the pump come on every half hour for about 3 seconds.

X3

We had a very small leak at the outside faucet . . . found out about it when the pump kept going on every 5-10 minutes when no water was being used. Screwed on a plastic ball valve type shut off and we're back in business.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #20

I added an expansion tank, 5 gal. acceptance volume size. It only reduces cycling of pump but not by much, and as stated above, pump runs longer to fill this tank during pumping. A lot of noise from pumps is due to the pump rubber mounting feet being overtightened to the point that the rubber is too firm. Try loosening the screws that hold the pump to the rig and see if the noise is not diminished. Flex hoses on inlet and outlet help also but you will never get rid of all the noise.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got an old Class A with 3 sinks, tub shower and outside shower fixtures (no ice maker) and my water pump is LOUD!! It don't bother me a bit but I hate to bother anyone at WallyWorld, etc... Sorry about that friends! Of course, I never use it at campgrounds.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours was mounted upside down on 1/8 inch shelf lower left panel by floor. Actually bothered neighbors if in tent camper. My solution - see post #1
Damon mods. We can still hear it but just barely. Second best mod. I ever made.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
To quiet our water pump (has rubber feet) down I used the 1/2" flexible tubing on both the inlet and outlet. Also installed a small "pressure tank" so the water flow would be more consistent when showering. To help in winterizing with the "red stuff", put in a "T" on the inlet side.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Don't have an expansion tank and definately hear it run. I like that, let's me know if there is a leak somewhere.
Same here.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Shurflo 5.1 that I recently replaced and at times it sounds like a jack hammer. I ordered an expansion tank from RV Upgrades and planned on installing it. I called Shurflo and they told me they do not recommend installing an expansion tank. They told me the pump does not shut down like it was designed to do with out a tank. They told me an expansion tank would likely shorten the life of the pump. They also told me they were phasing out the 5.1. Bottom line I am not sure if I should install the tank or not.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #26

I can hear mine run trouble is I cant find it..Ive been all over this coach and also on the Damon forums. No one has come up with an answer yet. Not really a big deal since we dont dry camp. But it would be good to know just in case. Cant stand anything that doesnt work properly and one day might need to get to it. Ive been mohoing for over 20 years and this is the first moho Ive owned where I cant find the pump...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I can hear mine run trouble is I cant find it..Ive been all over this coach and also on the Damon forums. No one has come up with an answer yet. Not really a big deal since we dont dry camp. But it would be good to know just in case. Cant stand anything that doesnt work properly and one day might need to get to it. Ive been mohoing for over 20 years and this is the first moho Ive owned where I cant find the pump...
Inside bathroom behind small panel next to the pot? Just a guess.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #28

Thanks for this thread. Mine is very noisy, and I was concerned there was an issue with it. The noise is banging so now Iíll check on some of the remedies noted.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water