Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #29

I used acetone to clean the surface and silicone. It is typical for the rv painter to remove the silicone, paint the reapply it. I laid tape the stripes by. The applied clear coat after base coat. Here is apic
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Painting with a powderpuff

When I was a young lad about 60 years ago, a neighbor of the family had a black chev. It needed a paint job and he painted it with a powder puff. Don't know what type of paint he used but it looked pretty good.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
I live over the Veterinary hospital where I work, I can only imagine my bosses reaction to spray paint all over our parking lot. Well at least the dogs and I won't be homeless, the motorhome is my security blanket. Kathleen

Well Kathleen.... You might be surprised.. There have been advances in both paint and sprayers over the years.. I know professionals who can paint the walls in your appartment using a spray gun, not lay down drop cloth one, and when they leave there will not be so much as a spec of paint on your nice new carpet. How do they do it.. Well, I am sure I will get the description of the sprayer wrong so I will not say. but it has to do with the pressure and the volume. that's all I know, and of course the fast-drying paint.

Paint drys so fast that by the time it hits the carpet.. It is dust

Same would be true of your landlord's parking lot if you had fast drying auto-motive paint (Assuming they make a paint that does that)
Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
. I know professionals who can paint the walls in your appartment using a spray gun, not lay down drop cloth one, and when they leave there will not be so much as a spec of paint on your nice new carpet...
I knew a painter who could do the same. Even with a brush! Me... I can walk down the paint aisle and not touch a thing.. by the time I get to the other end of the aisle, some how, some way, I have paint on me.

Decodancer, go to Skoolie.net » About and look at the forums there. Do a search for paint. These guys have painted their buses with spray rigs, paint rollers and paint brushes. You can look in the gallery (must register to do so) to look at some of the paint jobs but many will have the pics posted right in the threads.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Lorna, I did go to that website and others you guys and gals have sent me and it gave me the encouragement to get started. Ive got one coat on one side and two on the other. Started out with a small roller but the paint was dripping too much with the 50 / 50 thinning they reccomended so I'm doing the entire project with a 3 inch foam brush. I'm using Rustoleum in almond which is just a shade darker that the original color. NO BRUSH MARKS!! It really works. I do have some swirl marks from sanding the stripes off in a few areas so I need to repair those before continuing. I'm going to try using glazing putty, I know that worked on a Volkswagon Beatle I prepped for painting in the 80s. This is hard work, I'm a lot sorer now that I'm a few months shy of 50 than I was back then. Using muscles I haven't used in a while for sure
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
... I'm using Rustoleum in almond which is just a shade darker that the original color...
I matched my Class C's original colour wih ACE paint (New Canvas) but I also had the luxury of owning a paint fan deck from them. With the ACE Rust Stop, you could get custom colours mixed. I am just using the stock colours (Almond and Red). My paint seems awfully thin to be mixing 50/50 but right now I am doing brush work (painting the inside parts of the window frames, etc). I am putting 2 unthinned coats on the window exterior uprights with a brush.. Going over dark blue paint. I will lightly wet sand the brush marks out before I caulk roof line seams and roll the last coat.

Quote:
...This is hard work, I'm a lot sorer now that I'm a few months shy of 50 than I was back then. Using muscles I haven't used in a while for sure
Tell me about it. I'm getting too old for this kind of work... My 50th is in December! I spent all weekend laying out and painting a new 4 x3.5 ft sign for the food cart... now I have to go work on the bus stripping bus windows apart so that they can be cleaned and painted!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote