Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Can you paint a motorhome with a brush?

I know it won't look as good as having it proffessionally done but can I paint the exterior of my 1982 Class C with a roller or brush? I took the old graphics off but now the color is different in spots and the new graphics I ordered will not cover it. Also some of the hatch doors have been replaced and they are a different color. What about using marine paint, I know that went on my fiberglass boat smoothly with a brush.
decodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The surface needs to be prepped using mechanical methods (steel wool, etc) and chemical methods (solvents, etc) before any paint is applied. The surface must be clean, dry, taped off, temp range specifics and painted in a clean enviroment using spray nozzles. The paint itself needs to be a particular type (acrylic, etc). You may need to use a primer and several coats of spray paint along with finish coats of clear coat or of course gel coat.

Without the above, the end product could and would look like a mess and not last long.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
And don't forget to paint the ladder hanging off the rear in blinding yellow.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I don't get the joke, Im really trying to make her look like a newer model on a limited budget. Kathleen
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Yes, you can. I'll find the links you'll need. Don't feel foolish if some will laugh.

This is not the original link but Here's your encouragement link:

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

Here's the link I remembered:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Scroll down to 69chargeryeehaa post. Read it and see his other links.

Take the time to look at the numerous pages on the subject. You'll be getting lessons on what to do. Yes, it works on fiberglass.

Here's one of his cars.

When I dated my wife way back my future father-in-law had a 55 Chevy wagon they called the "Paddy wagon". He needed a paint job and 14 kids didn't leave much money around so he painted it with a brush. He was not a good painter so you could see the brush marks. Didn't matter. They had a nice fresh blue paintjob.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Decodancer - Yes you can do it but as mentioned above preparation is a major item. It is not a one day project if you want it to look good. I used to do boat maintenance and repairs. I painted exterior wood and or fiberglass with a brush. I did use high quality paint, high quality brushes and did mucho preparation. End product was always well received. I'd suggest you do not skimp on the quality of paint or the quality of the brushes.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wouldn't it be worth investing in a spray gun?
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thank you so much for your help and the links were great. I don't have any place to use a spray gun and it will have to be a day off here and there project so this makes it much easier to do a bit at a time.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
deco-dancer,
I've seen a couple of rvs that the owner had painted themselves and I have been quite impressed with the job they had done. What others have said is true the paint job will only be as good as the preparation. There are many kinds of paints, be sure to read the health hazards associated with them and take the precautions. Another good thing to do first is to find a piece of material similar to what you want to paint and practice on it. Do some reading on the internet regarding painting procedures. Learn about "tipping" and keeping a "wet edge". It's all about technique. Even if you roll on the paint you still will want to tip it with a brush.
I don't get two-niners comment either. Well, actually I do but I would disregard it as being not helpful.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #10

Painted with a paint brush in 2006 (RV section only). The original paint was pretty much gone. Wiped down with lacquer thinner (right down to the metal!), primed with aluminum/galvanized metal primer (latex) from Ace Hardware. The paint was one coat of Semi-Gloss Ace Latex House and Trim paint (in New Canvas).

This is two coats of Gloss Ace Rust Stop paint (Almond) applied with a paint brush (unthinned) in the New Mexico wind/heat... it's drying very fast. It will also be covered with window. I will be painting the exterior with a foam roller but the rub rails will be painted with a brush (Regal Red). There are several skoolies over on Skoolie.net » About that have been painted with rollers and brushes. All I want is a 20 ft paint job so all I'm doing is cleaning with paint thinner. Thereis no way that I could use a spray gun in my daughters back yard... she would have a cow!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago I had a 1978 Champion 23 footer. Stippled aluminum siding. Cleaned with acetone, buffed off bad spots used a brush to cut in and a foam roller. I even did some basic graphics on the side. I used hi gloss epoxy paint. Turned out quite good.
Keep in mind, at 55mph going down the road, no one will notice. I now have a full body painted big coach but would be more than happy to have you parked in the spot next to mine at a campground because that is what it is all about. By the way, I like my beer cold and my steak medium.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I live over the Veterinary hospital where I work, I can only imagine my bosses reaction to spray paint all over our parking lot. Well at least the dogs and I won't be homeless, the motorhome is my security blanket. Kathleen
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was watching a couple in the space next to mine making several attempts to get their beautiful fifth wheeler into a narrow spot, the wife said she was envious of the ease of parking my little gem. All in all RVers are a great bunch, if anyone has had an issue with me parking next to them, they've kept it to themselves. That said, I do want to make her look as good as possible so thanks again for all your help. Kathleen
Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Those who are not be accepting of others and the way they live their life and what possesions they may or may not have are probably not worth knowing.

I have sent you a pm
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote