Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

Everyone has their own way to justify their toys. I used to do that, but decided that I don't need to justify anything that we enjoy and gives us pleasure. We only use our motorhome to travel between our home in WI and the one in AZ. We will also stay in it for 2 or 3 two week side trips per year. We pull an enclosed trailer for our Jeep and RZR or Goldwing Trike. We have a small dog and cat. Traveling in the MH allows us to bring everything with us. Neither of us would want to full time and have no desire to be it it for a month or more at a time. Just having it available is all the justification we need.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, a Class A is a Class A pile of cash, and you are hoping we will tell you that spending that much money is not only ok, but in fact it is a very good idea.

one of the two best decisions you will likely make between birth and death in fact.. If you wish to know what the other one was.. Ask your spouse.
I laughed out loud about the spouse - so true!

You're awesome and love the perspective, thanks!

lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
But I have to admit, after a few weeks home we start feeling that urge to "justify" the purchase again.
That's exactly what I want to hear! Like you, I think putting the other travels aside and replacing some of those with seeing America is what really intrigues me. I want to see Mt. Rushmore, go to Ft Wilderness, do the Grand Tetons again, hit up route 66, etc. etc!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whether it is a DP or a gasser a class A is travelling plain and simple. As someone else said here looking at the road through that big expanse of glass makes driving there that much better. Plus if you need that coffee that most incredible DW just turns on the gen and brews one up without missing a beat. Plus travelling with our 7 year old we don't hear any of those are we there yet because he just stretches out and enjoys himself. Don't have to drive all over to enjoy yourself either we have just as much fun going to a local campgrounds for the weekend as we do on our long trips.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #19

Started like you did with a tent. Next came the class B Then a class B+ Third one was a C ,the 4th one a gmc, ( kinda of a cross between a B and an A ). 3 years ago made the step to a class A gasser. 35 ft with a set of bunks.

And as was said before "one of the two best decisions" I've made in my short 61 years.

Will never regret either decision.

Doing more traveling now that retired. Like the National Parks advertised in the 30's. Explore America.

Enjoy and Safe travels

Bill
2007 Winnie Sightseer 35j
Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post
Started like you did with a tent. Next came the class B Then a class B+ Third one was a C ,the 4th one a gmc, ( kinda of a cross between a B and an A ). 3 years ago made the step to a class A gasser. 35 ft with a set of bunks.

And as was said before "one of the two best decisions" I've made in my short 61 years.

Will never regret either decision.

Doing more traveling now that retired. Like the National Parks advertised in the 30's. Explore America.

Enjoy and Safe travels

Bill
2007 Winnie Sightseer 35j
Thanks for your input! "Explore America" - I daydream about this quite a bit. Like I mentioned, we're going to Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks, but I really just want to go camping. =)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
<<<<Thanks for your input! "Explore America" - I daydream about this quite a bit. Like I mentioned, we're going to Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks, but I really just want to go camping. =)>>>>

I have a wandering nature that has allowed me to put over 150,000 miles (with a recent trip to Alaska) on two GoldWings, take cruises, go to Hawaii and now become the new owner owner of a used class A motorhome. I too love nothing more than to see what is just around the next corner -over the next hill- or simply to be able to take our two dogs with us to help make it feel more like home. It's not about justifying, it's about living life on your terms. I can travel to exotic ports, tropical islands or Alaska's wilderness, but nothing can surpass the atmosphere and simplicity of camping...it just centers a person. Make your daydreams a reality, sounds like you already have the support of your family, as far as traveling is concerned.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang20 View Post
That's exactly what I want to hear! Like you, I think putting the other travels aside and replacing some of those with seeing America is what really intrigues me. I want to see Mt. Rushmore, go to Ft Wilderness, do the Grand Tetons again, hit up route 66, etc. etc!
Ha..I also love to travel outside the US. That all ended when I adopted my dog. Did not think that one through My wife still works as a flight attendant so even taking solo trips is tough. Molly our Lab is spoiled and is like our child so we need one of us home. Not now...Load up the coach and she come with us. And yes outside the US trips are few and far between now bit it's all worth it
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The DW and I decided to skip all the smaller Campers/RV and went right to a Class A last summer. We at the time (still do) only had a car and a Jeep Wrangler, and neither one of us were keen on picking up a small pop-up to pull with the jeep. We wanted something that the kids could get up and move around in, go to the bathroom if they had to, DW make sandwiches while we are on the road, beds for them to sleep in. Stuff like that. Last march we picked up a used Fleetwood PaceArrow and loved it, used it most of the summer. But we then decided, that very summer that it wouldn't do well for us to do the type of traveling we really wanted to do, South Dakota, Florida, Texas so we bought a 08' Fleetwood Fiesta LX and haven't looked back. My wife really liked the Class C's, but to me (and please don't flame me) they look like Elvis driving down the road. I really like the class A, for all the creature comforts they provide.

Buy what you can afford, make sure the DW is happy with the interior! Gas or Diesel, hard to go wrong, my only recommendation is to pick one up that has the heavier frame and the 22.5 tires. Our first RV had the 19.5 tires and I've noticed a significant improvement in handling and control in our newer heavier RV.

This spring we plan on finding a good parking lot and getting my DW a little more comfortable behind the wheel. She is an excellent driver, one of the few woman I personally know who can drive a manual transmission better than most men I know, but she has some reservations about pulling in and out of gas stations and things like that. Interstate driving not an issue!

Whatever you decide, make sure you get what you want, take your time. We rushed a little in the spring last year, didn't quite get what we wanted, so "had" to buy another one.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang20 View Post

In seriousness - We'd love to FT one day, but for now we vacation about 2 months out of the year and if we purchased the DS, I'd probably do more RV'ing to justify the costs. For those that don't full time - and I realize this is subjective - but how much time in the RV do you feel like is "worth" it for lack of a better word? Of course there's no price on the experience, but the logical side of me still wins at times. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thought process, that may help me finally pulling the trigger on this whole thing!

Lincoln.

Ok, so, "worth it" has many components. It sounds like the "numbers" are causing you some anxiety. The DW has the same inclinations, here is what we did. When we started looking for our RV, we had a friend that shared his "spreadsheet" with us. His spreadsheet detailed all of his costs (purchase, storage, insurance, trip costs etc.) and compared them to the benefits ( what he saves in hotel, meals out etc) for each trip and he adds to it each trip he takes. His analysis worked out to 30 nights a year to break even. The DW keeps similar spreadsheet and ours works out to be about 60 nights to break even. That's just the numbers. But what we've found is that we would never would have been able to do/see the things we have done since we got the RV without it. And our initial goal of 60 nights (to justify the cost) will grow to at least 90 this year. We're just having way too much fun, and that is priceless.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocja01 View Post

Whatever you decide, make sure you get what you want, take your time. We rushed a little in the spring last year, didn't quite get what we wanted, so "had" to buy another one.
Thanks for the information and thoughts. You bring up some good points to consider - I think due diligence is important. But knowing my personality, I won't be doing diligence for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Ok, so, "worth it" has many components. It sounds like the "numbers" are causing you some anxiety. The DW has the same inclinations, here is what we did. When we started looking for our RV, we had a friend that shared his "spreadsheet" with us. His spreadsheet detailed all of his costs (purchase, storage, insurance, trip costs etc.) and compared them to the benefits ( what he saves in hotel, meals out etc) for each trip and he adds to it each trip he takes. His analysis worked out to 30 nights a year to break even. The DW keeps similar spreadsheet and ours works out to be about 60 nights to break even. That's just the numbers. But what we've found is that we would never would have been able to do/see the things we have done since we got the RV without it. And our initial goal of 60 nights (to justify the cost) will grow to at least 90 this year. We're just having way too much fun, and that is priceless.
Makes perfect sense. #'s are #'s and I get that. You're right, you can't put value on that, but I'm thinking doing 30+ days the first year will make me feel pretty good about the purchase and then going up from there. In my own mind, using it 4-5 months a year will make me feel REALLY good about the purchase. Baby steps I suppose.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Hey PH. We spend about 2 months a year in the rig. We bought our dream rig last year. The kids still love to come with us. We enjoy it now and hope to full time soon. The time spent now gets us used to the rig, (3rd one we've had but DP is a new world) When we are ready to full time it will be great! Have fun and enjoy it!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #27

Phwang, we too experienced what you did in our early camping days, tent camping, boat camping, a Lance Camper, Trailer, Class C ect. Many sleepless nights just not being comfortable but still loving the camping experience. Always waking up early and getting out to start a fire.

Last year we bought our first Class A and we love it. It seems to be a big difference to us in it's ease of use, as well as how comfortable it is. Driving it is fun and setting up at a campsite is a breeze. Also you can stop wherever you want as they are totally self contained. I remember our first night in it, we slept thru the night, woke up to neighbors making noise and thought that was too early to be making noise like that, then we realized it was 9am and we had slept in. We now keep a shade open so we know the sun is up.

When we bought ours we didn't really base it on how much we would use it(at least not at first), we bought it because we wanted it, wanted to travel the USA, didn't want to motel/hotel it anymore, and want to take our grandkids out with us. We are both retired and help babysit our grandkids, so we try and get out when we can. Last year we took two one month trips and several 3-5 day trips(put about 8000 miles on it). We want more, not to justify the cost, but just because we enjoy it so much and have a great time traveling in it. You just can't put a monetary value on doing the things you love, and buying the MH that will make you most comfortable doing that.

You said you were looking at the Newmars. You will love the quality and build. You won't be disappointed. This is actually the first big purchase I have made with absolutely no buyers remorse, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Mine sits next to our house so even if I'm not out RV'ing I go out and look at it everyday, and think of my next trip. Good luck in your decision.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I still get a kick out of setting the parking brake and hearing the air kick Hell that's worth the price right there.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote