Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Can you please explain this feeling I'm getting inside my gut?? =)

I'm new to the site - great input and people btw! Ok - here's the feeling - sorry, I may ramble...

I have always been interested in camping and spending time in nature, talks around the campfire, etc. When we had our first child and he was 2, we went on the first camping (tent) trip. I had the amenities (air mattress), but I woke up at 3 am and tossed and turned until 6am and finally left the tent to start a fire. Miserable. At the time, I was looking at Class C's and happened to find one in Seattle and literally drove there that same day and purchased our first RV (Bigfoot 24') and slept like a champ that night! Wow, what a difference - heat, out of the elements, etc.

Now our daughter comes into the picture and the 24' (without slides) started getting cramped when they were ages 5/3 or so. We then purchased what I have now a 2011 5er Bighorn over the cab version that's 37' - we love it and serves us well.

Ok here's the odd feeling I'm getting lately - the Class A bug??

We travel quite a bit... not just camping. In 2014 we've toured Europe, been to Korea, AZ, 2-3 camping trips, Vegas, etc. Just recently we wanted to take the car (for more spirited driving) down the coast to Hwy 1 in Monterey - go through the 17 mile drive (we snuck in when the Pebble Beach Pro Am was going on and there were NO tourists - just fantastic!), to Yosemite and back up. No kids, no luggage, no nothing... it was a great time.

On the way down, we stopped by Marathon - Prevost as well as Guaranty RV and lately I've been heavily looking at a Class A - I think I've finally decided on the Newmar Dutch Star.

My question is why am I spending so much time on this website and feeling anxious while having a smile on my face??!!

In seriousness - We'd love to FT one day, but for now we vacation about 2 months out of the year and if we purchased the DS, I'd probably do more RV'ing to justify the costs. For those that don't full time - and I realize this is subjective - but how much time in the RV do you feel like is "worth" it for lack of a better word? Of course there's no price on the experience, but the logical side of me still wins at times. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thought process, that may help me finally pulling the trigger on this whole thing!

We're going to Puerto Vallarta in 2 weeks and I'd imagine some of my travels would now be shifted towards RV'ing and I don't mind that... just not sure how this all plays out.

Rant over. Sorry. Thank you.

Lincoln.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

I believe the feeling in your gut is indigestion. Buy a Prevost and it will go away.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If your still interested in a Newmar this link will help you out. Some models even have bunk beds.
Below in my signature are links that will have threads from Newmar owners and how they went about designing a coach of their dreams with Newmars help. QT's # 3.
Good luck in your pursuit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You don't have to buy that high dollar Prevost. Any good MH will do and do as you wish, shift your travels to the USA and go RVing. We are not full time but we go whenever we can. More and more each year.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Lots of different perspectives on this. Me personally, I like my toys. I find that knowing I have my toys available to me to use whenever the heck I get the urge works for me no matter how much I use them. I might drive my Harley 10 or 20 days in a year. Maybe less. Same with a ski boat. But I just like knowing when I get the urge and the weather is calling me I can use them. This makes me happy. Same with my coach.

Now of course you have to be realistic about what you can and can't afford. Toys are depreciating assets. If you can accept that and handle the financial cost I say go for it. If you buy right and hold for a few years or more it will be worth the hit if you decide to sell. I bought mine late last year. Have used it very little but that will change with the warmer weather next month or so. I have had zero buyers remorse thus far. My Fed EX packages have been piling up . I go out to the storage and do little things to it every week or so and get great satisfaction in doing so. Class A's rock
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Having made many cross country (I mean 6000 miles plus round trip) drives in cars and Jeeps, staying in motels and eating out every meal then doing a 3500 mile trip in a Class A coach (borrowed) , stopping when/where we wanted, staying as long as suited us, being able to cook meals in the coach and not paying for hotels.....

It was easy which one was more enjoyable and frankly more cost effective.

Want to take a spirited drive on a some scenic hwy? Well there is a hitch on the back to tow a runabout.

If you really want to know what the experience is like before you commit enough cash to by a modest home (or more) there are many places you can rent one by the week. Try it for your next vacation. But I warn you, it won;t take you a week before you're on the hunt.

Class A coach means you CAN take it with you.

Just my nickles worth.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
You don't have to buy that high dollar Prevost. Any good MH will do and do as you wish, shift your travels to the USA and go RVing. We are not full time but we go whenever we can. More and more each year.
You're absolutely right. We just stopped by Marathon as it was on the way.. I think the original post might have been a bit misleading. I'm more interested in the Class A culture and lifestyle than the brand of RV.

I agree that shifting more of my vacation in this is what I really would like to do.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Lots of different perspectives on this. Me personally, I like my toys. I find that knowing I have my toys available to me to use whenever the heck I get the urge works for me no matter how much I use them. I might drive my Harley 10 or 20 days in a year. Maybe less. Same with a ski boat. But I just like knowing when I get the urge and the weather is calling me I can use them. This makes me happy. Same with my coach.

Now of course you have to be realistic about what you can and can't afford. Toys are depreciating assets. If you can accept that and handle the financial cost I say go for it. If you buy right and hold for a few years or more it will be worth the hit if you decide to sell. I bought mine late last year. Have used it very little but that will change with the warmer weather next month or so. I have had zero buyers remorse thus far. My Fed EX packages have been piling up . I go out to the storage and do little things to it every week or so and get great satisfaction in doing so. Class A's rock
I like this perspective also. I like my toys also. I've had street bikes, a Harley, dirt bikes, nice cars, etc. I get you there.

I also can appreciate your understanding of depreciating assets. Accepting and handling the financial cost is key - my thing is it bothers me a bit if I don't get out there and use them. Maybe this will force my hand a bit? Maybe that's wishful thinking as I don't use the 5ver as much as I'd like.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Having made many cross country (I mean 6000 miles plus round trip) drives in cars and Jeeps, staying in motels and eating out every meal then doing a 3500 mile trip in a Class A coach (borrowed) , stopping when/where we wanted, staying as long as suited us, being able to cook meals in the coach and not paying for hotels.....

It was easy which one was more enjoyable and frankly more cost effective.

Want to take a spirited drive on a some scenic hwy? Well there is a hitch on the back to tow a runabout.

If you really want to know what the experience is like before you commit enough cash to by a modest home (or more) there are many places you can rent one by the week. Try it for your next vacation. But I warn you, it won;t take you a week before you're on the hunt.

Class A coach means you CAN take it with you.

Just my nickles worth.
Hi Jay,

Thank you for the message. I don't do road trips w/ the car very often and think this last 2400 mile road trip in the hot rod will take the edge off of wanting to do that again for quite some time.

We've done a 2 week trip in the 5ver and it's wonderful. We've done the 9 state in 2 weeks trip in the Class C and although rushed, it was wonderful. I'm interested in getting the Class A and feeling like I'm just cruising. The only thing I can compare it to is when I sold my sport bike and bought my Harley Fat Boy. I'd go 65 tops and just enjoy riding.

I want to get back to that as w/ the 5ver, there's a little more "driving" and about getting to the destination than just the journey. Maybe I'm making excuses so I can buy a Class A?? Haha.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang20 View Post
I like this perspective also. I like my toys also. I've had street bikes, a Harley, dirt bikes, nice cars, etc. I get you there.

I also can appreciate your understanding of depreciating assets. Accepting and handling the financial cost is key - my thing is it bothers me a bit if I don't get out there and use them. Maybe this will force my hand a bit? Maybe that's wishful thinking as I don't use the 5ver as much as I'd like.
I took the price I was willing to pay for the coach as a result of my expectations on how much I thought I would use it and buffered on the low side of use. I'm still not sure how much use it will get but for sure some month long trips a couple times a year mixed in with several shorter ones. I used to fly 737's for a living. Now that was a fun toy although not mine. I still get a kick out of setting the parking brake and hearing the air kick Hell that's worth the price right there.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, a Class A is a Class A pile of cash, and you are hoping we will tell you that spending that much money is not only ok, but in fact it is a very good idea.

one of the two best decisions you will likely make between birth and death in fact.. If you wish to know what the other one was.. Ask your spouse.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #12

When the DW and I were first looking we kept trying to justify our decision. We finally came to terms that you can't. You want what you want. We are much happier that way.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
It does seem like the big ol' diesel pusher size wouldn't bother you, so that's good. That was intimidating to us, wondering if the size would actually cause us limitations in where our impulsive trips lead us. So we did go smaller to a 35ft. Diesel. Love it. We were worried we'd be sorry. Didn't happen. Love the comforts, although our trips require better planning now.

The expense of the diesel puts some pressure on us to travel more (that's great), but it also makes us put off the urge for international travel. We also do a lot of 800 mile trips to visit our granddaughter, so all is well for worthiness. We are very busy with travel, so no regrets. But I have to admit, after a few weeks home we start feeling that urge to "justify" the purchase again.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
>>>> I'm interested in getting the Class A and feeling like I'm just cruising. The only thing I can compare it to is when I sold my sport bike and bought my Harley Fat Boy. I'd go 65 tops and just enjoy riding.<<<<

PHwang20....that is exactly it. I have tried to explain to my 5er friends why I prefer a diesel class A to no avail. You don't have one yet but you understand it perfectly. Every rv that is not a class A is like riding a sport bike. Driving a big class A looking out the picture window at the world going by and listening to/feeling all that power IS like riding a Harley. To those who don't ride a Harley...there is no explaining it!!!

Disclaimer: those of you who don't agree with me....please don't yell :0
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote