Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

can you upgrade to a older MH?

Ever see a MH that is 3 years older than what you have with features you like better than you have? I am referring to a MH considered higher end, say a 2003 Foretravel versus a mh such as our 2006 GS (or comparable). Can one call such a older high end an upgrade even when motor has say 90K and generator 1300 hours versus ours with almost half that in both cases? In such a comparison I find workmanship much better, company still in business, trusted dealership/manufacturer, good maintenance, items we want and don't have, etc....but can one claim the "higher end" MH worth the extra money (say $50-60K) on trade and is it rediculous to call that an upgrade. Would you expect the older high end to last just as long as the not-so high end MH? Would it not still value out comparitively to extra paid? Guess it is strickly a personal decision type question and although mileage is not great for engine, one has to still consider that complete drive train and MH from one end to other has seen that high mileage. I do believe that in many cases the sign of being used a lot is a good thing, especially if properly maintained, but to what extent.

Just thoughts.

Actually looked at a 1992 PreVost a few weeks ago that was beautiful on inside and out but drivers seat felt as though it had indeed been the 188,000 miles....$90K did seem like a good deal, but I do not think 25 years old anything would be a upgrade to most any mh of near same size 10-12 years younger.

b

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

as we speak we are trading a 2011 thor serrano for an 07 tiffin phaeton. Costing more but the upgrade is incredible.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call it what you want. If it is an upgrade from your perspective then yes it is an upgrade.

Enjoy everyday. We don't get any refunds!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
as we speak we are trading a 2011 thor serrano for an 07 tiffin phaeton. Costing more but the upgrade is incredible.
I think I can see that as a upgrade. Nothing aganist the Thor Serrano, but from what I have seen in the Phaeton...a honey of a coach. Good luck.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought our first motorhome last year, it is now 12 years old. I have seen some high end motorbikes I would love, but unfortunately, they are the same age or newer. Every time I get in our MH and take it put, I am amazed how well MIT runs, and how everything works. I would be hesitant to "upgrade" for fear of buying some problems I don't have now.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Yep.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking to do the exact same thing!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Tiffin and Newmar seem to be the leader sales today
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We bought our first motorhome last year, it is now 12 years old. I have seen some high end motorbikes I would love, but unfortunately, they are the same age or newer. Every time I get in our MH and take it put, I am amazed how well MIT runs, and how everything works. I would be hesitant to "upgrade" for fear of buying some problems I don't have now.
If it ain't broke don't fix it
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I sold a 2005 Winnie Sightseer with 2 slides a 29 footer, nice little coach with about 50k on it. I put 20k on it.

And I bought...........

a 1992 American Eagle 38 footer diesel and I consider even one this old an upgrade, it has 120k miles on it. We spent quite a bit servicing, fixing, and upgrading and it drives like a dream. We got lucky the engine nor generato rhas used any oil in about 2700 miles of driving so far and quite a bit at 70 mph.

I love the old girl, the way she drives, the ride, the comfort. I like the w/d, the icemaker, the full ceramic tiled bathroom, our daughter likes having the bathtub that she can take a bath in. I will say that from a dead stop she is sure no jackrabbit, she ticks up slowly, once I get to about 39mph then she takes off. But its fine, I still like it. I'm sure the newer ones take off better, but it is what it is and like I said I don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	25406  
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #11

I'm new here but I've been reading the forums for a while now. We are a young couple and we live in our motorhome, we just love the lifestyle.

We used to have a little 25' Winnebago Warrior (Chev P30) and loved it, but we're expecting our first baby so we had to upgrade.
We got our current coach, a '93 Newmar London Aire DP, it's a whole new level. Cherry wood everywhere, real tile and wood floors, w/d, full size bathtub, everything high-end. We are very pleased with it, and we think it's well worth having an older rig (especially if you're mechanically inclined). I'll try posting some pics later on the "new rig show" thread.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #12

Many sides to this coin, I'd say. Every time I drive my Wife's new S-Class Benz; I feel like I've been dealt an upgrade when I get back behind the wheel of my old 300D. I like simple, well engineered, and well built products over techno-glitzy show pieces.

That's why I bought the rig I have now. '94 Eagle. There are no slides to muck up, mechanically injected Cummins for reliability and durability, etc. I do like the marble floor in the galley and bath but I most enjoy the fact that if something malfunctions; all I need is common tools and maybe a Fluke meter to get to the bottom of it.

So, I'm a staunch believer that older can indeed constitute an upgrade. I draw the line at toothbrushes, underwear, and shoes

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its an upgrade if you are happier in it
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #14

yes, that would prob be an upgrade. My coach is a 1960 flx with over 600,000 miles on it. I put everything in it I could think of. jet tub, garb disposal, 9 speed trans, ect. ect. I would not trade it for a new Prevost. I can count on it to preform. No problems for the last 60,000 miles. NONE !! Get what you like and maintain it, Miles like old age is a mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter.