Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Canada alaska

We are going to alaska this summer. Does anyone know if satelite tv, direct or dish ,works in canada and alaska. Also how about cell phones thanks for any information

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a ground mounted dish you should be ok for Dish and Directv. Roof mounted units usually cannot be aimed low enough to pick the satellite.

As for cell phones, according to your provider, you should be able to use your cell phone in populated areas of both Canada and Alaska, but make SURE you signup for a Canadian plan with your provider as roaming is very expensive. Even with a plan you will probably have to pay around 50 cents a minute.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't make a dumb mistake like I did. I Emailed 2 pictures of Baniff Canada to my kids as we were all there 30 years ago when they were kids. I wanted to show them that it had not changed much in that time. AT&T sent me a text message that I should get a Canadian package to do that or it would be expensive. I just thought I would not do it again so it was OK. When I got home and got the bill it cost me $60 apiece to send the pictures. AT&T would not take anything off the bill because it is a different company there. OUCH that really hurt. I won't make that mistake again!!!

Dave

2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
2011 Honda CR-V
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #4

there would be some problems in high areas...better check it once
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Direct might work but Dish is so low that you can't get it for the tree line. We have Dish and could only get it when on the Canadian plains. No trees lol
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

We stopped watching TV on our trip through Canada and Alaska two years ago. We think it made for a vastly more fulfilling trip. Sometimes I would read a book aloud for my wife. When you are in Alaska, with the sun setting so late, there's too much to do and sitting in front of a TV made no sense for us. I'm sure we're a minority but that's our way of coping with whether TV is available. Movies on DVD were fine with us on rainy nights but only one a night and that was a rare occurrence. My Verizon phone would usually work. When it didn't we learned we really didn't need that either. Again, we will be in a minority on this. Don't expect much phone service in the Yukon.

On another trip we took along our Northern Exposure 6 DVD collection. One episode a night just before going to sleep. Seemed like an appropriate show to watch.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
My Verizon phone would usually work. When it didn't we learned we really didn't need that either. .
We have the Verizon cell as well...did you run into any roaming charges while in Canada / Alaska? We'll be heading that way in about 10 days. Thanks, Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
We have the Verizon cell as well...did you run into any roaming charges while in Canada / Alaska? We'll be heading that way in about 10 days. Thanks, Bob
I don't remember getting any roaming charges in Alaska. That was over a year ago. I'm not sure about Canada but I wasn't using my phone much in Canada. My advice is to go on the verizon wireless site and use the coverage locator on their home page. We also never had a data plan. If we had any decent wi-fi we were able to use our magic jack. You do need a high speed connection.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
KIX

When we were in Canada we used Skype............VERY inexpensive and a free download. Just Google Skype
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You have to buy the Canada package if you don't want roaming in Canada. If you are near the CA border you may pick up one of their towers and get roaming from Alaska or mainland side. They removed those for us.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We paid something like $10 a month for our cell phone use while in Canada. Truth is I cannot remember the exact charge but it is available thru your provider and calling them is my suggestion.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #12

Spent last summer?? in Can/Ak. No Dish network in Can or Ak. Elevation Angle too low. We relied on DVD's when we were in the mood for tv. Plan on lots and lots of rain. It rained almost every day we were up there-May to Aug.

Cell phone coverage in Ak was adequate with no extra charges. We just turned the phone off while transiting through Canada. Extra coverage wasn't worth the extra hassle to us.

Border check stations will check your passport and Canadian insurance cards from your insurer.

Be prepared to replace a couple of windshields upon rtn to US. Instead of using salt during the winters they use small gravel for better traction. Be aware of "frost heaves". All in all a good trip with lots to do and see. Be sure and take lots of money as those canadians that can are coming across the border to for their fuel needs.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote