Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #15

With Pets expect a 60 to 90 minute delay as they go through the entire rig. ?????
Don't know why you would have a 60 to 90 minute delay

We crossed the boarder 4 times last year and had 2 little dogs. Not once did they ask for the vaccination papers. I guess when I said do you want to see the paperwork they figured I had the right stuff. You dogs need current rabies shots and we even got one of the dogs vaccinated in Montana before we crossed, since she wasn't due before we left Florida.
Wasn't a problem for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #16

No problem with money. Almost everyone takes a mastercard or visa debit card. Just let your bank know you are going to traveling in Canada, etc... diesel fuel ran us about 5.49 a gallon.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess we were in the wrong place at the wrong time twice each time 60 to 90 minutes delay, while others drove on by going into Canada. Loads of questions as to where are you going and why and comments from then like do not go near Vancouver there are gangs there

We have all the up to date paper work and vaccination as required for the dogs
Happened to be the first one in line at the broader crossing each time at 8:00am when it opened and both times they asked us OLD folks to park over there and take the dogs with you. Then please come back an open the slider so we can look in all the drawers etc. At least the second time they did not fully search the outside storage bins. Guess we were profiled and fit their search criteria

Crossing back into my home state the guy says "where are you from" we say "T Falls" he says "that's a nice place, have a great day go on through" no hassle no paper work nothing - Nice to be welcomed home
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
I guess we were in the wrong place at the wrong time twice each time 60 to 90 minutes delay, while others drove on by going into Canada. Loads of questions as to where are you going and why and comments from then like do not go near Vancouver there are gangs there

We have all the up to date paper work and vaccination as required for the dogs
Happened to be the first one in line at the broader crossing each time at 8:00am when it opened and both times they asked us OLD folks to park over there and take the dogs with you. Then please come back an open the slider so we can look in all the drawers etc. At least the second time they did not fully search the outside storage bins. Guess we were profiled and fit their search criteria

Crossing back into my home state the guy says "where are you from" we say "T Falls" he says "that's a nice place, have a great day go on through" no hassle no paper work nothing - Nice to be welcomed home
You were the lucky ones) I guess it is just their mood that day. I did see them searching one vehicle and they did leave it a mess!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquailhunter View Post
THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.
I'm paying about $1.05 a liter for diesel right now, it is about 15% more in BC and Quebec, so your arithmetic is fine, your information is not.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Nice place to visit once in a while - GREAT people

Taxes, Gasoline, Diesel fuel, Beer, Booze, Food and most everything else is 50 to 100% more expensive up there than down south here across the border. Thousands of freindly Canadians with money come this way every year to buy almost everything including Canadian made beer and Booze here at Wally World, Costco, etc where we have no sales taxes

Do not bring in Cigarettes or more than the allowed allotment of Booze which includes Beer and wine they will take it away

With Pets expect a 60 to 90 minute delay as they go through the entire rig

If planning on a pistol or any firearm for Alaska ship it to Alaska use it there and have fun then ship it back to the states
50 to 100% is an exaggeration, unless you mean north of the 60 parallel. Yes, in the extreme north things are shockingly expensive, but in most parts of Canada the difference is much smaller, and often when we are in the US the prices are the same. I paid about $4 a gallon for diesel in Calgary last month, paid about $3.80 the same week in Idaho.

I will say that booze and smokes are so cheap in Arizona that I think the difference in prices would pay for health insurance.

As for pets, we cross regularly with dogs to go to dog shows. Into the US we bring a certificate from our vet that is less than a few days old that the animals are in good health, and returning we need a valid rabies certificate. It has never taken more than 15 minutes when we cross, and usually less than 2 minutes either way.

Having said that, we don't look suspicious, and since we are scrupulous we are never nervous.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #21

When you come up here to Canada and cross the border, they also ask about firewood. The dutch elm disease is a big concern up here so you are not allowed to bring firewood across. If you bring some into Canada and get caught, the border service will take it from you. The only trouble with that is now they are likly to search your rv to see what else you are NOT mentioning. That is a real experience in itself. We have trouble crossing into the USA as they search our RV's very closely.If we don't have a passport, forget it, you can't cross, into the States that is. Not sure how it is for you to cross up here. I have always wondered about that. If you get the same hassel we do..If you try to get hand guns acros the border and get caught..Look out you could loose everything..Leave the guns at home..A person told me once that do not fly a Canadian flag on our MH down in the US. Because they will know we are Canadians and don't have hand guns..Maybe something to that..Yes the gas, diesel,groceries are more expensive up here but our beer is great. More money than yours but I find it alot more tasty..We always bring Canadian beer to your country when we come down..We come down alot.

If you want to know more about Canada send me a pm and we can talk..Lived here all my life..I live in the prairies not much to see up here except lots and lots of NOTHING. The western provinces are alot more scenic that around here. We go to B.C. and Alberta for scenery..Alaska is also very beautiful....Rugged scenery. The east coast of Canada is scenic as well, fishing and lobster fishing are very popular. Fresh sea food right from the water to you..

Enjoy Canada....we do

Ted and Kathy Mckay
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #22

Once again---THANK YOU TO ALL THAT HAVE ANSWERED (AND TO ALL THAT STILL PLAN TO)---Your input has helped greatly---I'm sure glad that my info. about the price of gas was incorrect. I may be contacting some of ya'll by private message when I get closer to the trip.

Blessings on all
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will have a great time enjoying the scenery you won't worry about the price of diesel.
Happy travels
Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saskatchewan is so flat...you can see tomorrow coming
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
No problem with money. Almost everyone takes a mastercard or visa debit card. Just let your bank know you are going to traveling in Canada, etc... diesel fuel ran us about 5.49 a gallon.
Ahh, but there can be a problem with debit cards in the hinterlands of Canada. Traveling in BC, when I got out of Prince George, my debit card wouldn't work occasionally...but my CC would. Found out that the ATMs in the area around Whitehorse were not connected to a national network, just a local. Also found that some ATMs in big towns wouldn't give me cash either. Now I'm in the habit of getting double the cash when I find a machine that works with my card.

Didn't have a problem with my CC getting fuel.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Once again---THANK YOU TO ALL THAT HAVE ANSWERED (AND TO ALL THAT STILL PLAN TO)---Your input has helped greatly---I'm sure glad that my info. about the price of gas was incorrect. I may be contacting some of ya'll by private message when I get closer to the trip.

Blessings on all
Please feel free to PM me as well. Live on the Pacific and have travelled quite a bit through BC and Western Canada as well as having driven most of the Eastern provinces as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.
I know we have expensive fuel, but WHOA!

Diesel in MB is 1.20 a liter, and 1.21 for unleaded.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Just filled up MH in small out-of-the-way town in Alberta @ $1.13/liter x 3.79= $4.28/ us.gal. Don't bring gun, get "Bear Spray"-not mace. Mace is prohibited weapon but bear spray is not. Most cross bows are OK. The further North you go the more expensive it is. Off the beaten path and they don't have but seasonal (ice) roads, else everything is by air. Other than some math mistakes, most of what was said is what you'll find. We also have that phenomenon of higher fuel prices just before long weekends.