Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy, some of these posts make it sound like you're visiting "Outbackistan" We're Canadians who have been crossing back and forth in a motorhome continuously for 11 years with two dogs. Depending on where you cross (we cross in southern Ontario mainly) you probably won't even know you're in another country. The 44' might give you some considerations however, especially if you plan on going much north of the Border. Our population, hence infrastructure (read big roads and filling stations) tend to be concentrated in the south, paralleling the Border. We have 43' tag and we have considerations when travelling here but, it's strictly due to size. Just think "no guns period" and you'll get rid of that subject. Never been asked once, on either side, about the dogs but we do carry up to date papers for them. I just got back from Decatur Indiana yesterday and it didn't cost me much different in fuel there than here? PM me if you want to chat.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillbert View Post
Saskatchewan is so flat...you can see tomorrow coming
LOL! Almost like S. Dakota, where the State tree is the telephone pole!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Nice place to visit once in a while - GREAT people

Taxes, Gasoline, Diesel fuel, Beer, Booze, Food and most everything else is 50 to 100% more expensive up there than down south here across the border. Thousands of freindly Canadians with money come this way every year to buy almost everything including Canadian made beer and Booze here at Wally World, Costco, etc where we have no sales taxes

Do not bring in Cigarettes or more than the allowed allotment of Booze which includes Beer and wine they will take it away

With Pets expect a 60 to 90 minute delay as they go through the entire rig

If planning on a pistol or any firearm for Alaska ship it to Alaska use it there and have fun then ship it back to the states
Booze is much higher compared to a lot of US states but your "most everything else" statement is pretty much a large exageration. I paid 9.00 lb for Beef in Us costco and I paid 8.65 in kelowna BC for the same cut and Rating. Foods though in general are 20% on average higher Diesel fuel today is 1.19 litre at the super store or 4.50 per US gallon.I bought a large container of Coffe in the US in april and it was 13.99 I just paid 13.99 in kelowna costco same coffee same size.Cheese is way more up here.Lots of things are cheaper shop around.I know I do
Ticat900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iquailhunter View Post
THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.

Defiantly WRONG diesel is at 1.13 a ltr as of today 1.13@3.875 = $4.37 a gal, this is in Alberta.
Daytrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Would recommend you cross at a remote area. I usually cross at Oroville, Washington. They usually don't even enter the RV.
I stay away from Blaine if at all possible!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Just wondering about the following (and anything else that any of ya'll would want to add) about traveling in Canada. What steps/preparation should be taken to carry a weapon, travel with pets, medical issues, insurance on vehicle, prohibited items, currency, expense, literature on camping sites, length restrictions, etc. I am asking about a trip that we might be there for 2/3 weeks. We would be in an Entegra 44 Anthem and towing a 2007 2500 GMC 4wd. pickup. And, we are so stinking new to all of this we don't know NUTHIN

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
Handguns not allowed, long guns require a permit, and don't take your AK or AR either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #35

Get a credit card with no foreign transaction fee (Capital One is one). You can charge most everything and get the best exchange rate. You will need some cash and you can convert to Canada $ at any bank.
tgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.

I hope you are wrong!! I live in Alberta and just paid $1.13 per liter for diesel. It's roughly 4 liters to an American gal. So, $4.50 ish. The gas and diesel prices are higher in most other parts of Canada, so it would be somewhere in the $5.00 range. Like said don't bring hand guns and if you bring a long gun I would check with customs on the rulings for that. There are restrictions for fresh fruit and vegetables but again best to check with customs online. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy our country as much as I have enjoyed visiting yours.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Never had any trouble getting into Canada , had more trouble trying to get back into the US. Gave me the riot act because the dog food wasn't in the original bag. Had a half of a tomato in the fridge and they had a fit because it had no sticker, and the list goes on and on. WE have breezed through a few times but that once was crazy,maybe the gal was having a bad day. By the way it was coming back into Maine at some one horse check point. Jim
Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
Agreed.Canadian border agents are pretty mild compared to the Us people.80% of them are down right nasty and not all that bright.I just do and say as they request and then no probs but sometimes you just wanna rip the guys neck off and chit down there throat there so arrogant and mean spirited
This is funny. As a Canadian I always prefer going INTO the US. Only time I've had a border guard be rude was coming home. My American friends have the mirror image experience - crossing into Canada is pleasant, going home can be unpleasant.

Having said that, in about 300 crossings, 30 with an RV (trailer or MH), I have had 4 experiences that were not pleasant.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillbert View Post
Saskatchewan is so flat...you can see tomorrow coming
Southern Saskatchewan is mainly prairie where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. Northern Saskatchewan is a paradise of forests and lakes although the bugs can get pretty bad for a couple of months in the summer. World record rainbow trout and burbot came out of Lake Diefenbaker in Southern Saskatchewan.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I stay away from Blaine if at all possible!
Suggesting to cross in a remote border crossing or avoiding a particular border crossing like Blaine without any useful explanation is not helpful. I don't see the logic in either. I have crossed at both Blaine crossings (Pacific and Peace arch) and have had no problems either way. Southbound through Pacific is only difficult because of the slalom course leading up to the BP booths, northbound is good and newly remodeled Peace Arch is really good both ways. Have been stopped going northbound at a remote border crossing by both the US border patrol and then the Canadian border patrol. Why the US border patrol had a stop set up 100ft before the Canadian border patrol is still a mystery to me.
People I know that have had a difficult time at the border failed to leave there arrogant attitude at home. Answer their questions as simply and directly as possible, yes or no if possible, do not elaborate unless asked for further information, be courteous and professional, they are charged with doing a very serious job.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #41

The Blaine crossing takes longer. Lots of people try to cross there so it's busy and they have a fixed procedure with paperwork I was required to go though which adds to the time. Last time I crossed there, 3 people were arrested and they announced that ALL the crossing guards had to assist in an arrest. It was exciting though. One guy caught in the trunk of a car, one guy nailed for possession, and one gal from SE Asia tried to sneak into the country without papers. All on a weekday around 2pm. All those people had to do the perp walk through the facility too. Took me 2 hours to get through there. It's just BUSY is all.

Crossing at Oroville, or in Northern Idaho is a breeze. Takes less then 15 minutes each time I've crossed. Going into Canada, or coming back into the states. Don't even have to leave the RV, and the walk though they sometimes do is short, usually they don't bother. In Blaine, I had to fill out paperwork in the office, hang around for an hour and a half until they called my name. During the walk around of my RV, they opened every cabinet and basement compartment. Even emptied a couple of them. I've also crossed at that station due east of Blaine but don't remember anything about it so it was probably easier then at Blaine. And I'm always courteous.

Crossing at remote areas in an RV is much easier then crossing at busy stations, in my experience, simply because they're not as busy and seem more relaxed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
What kind of paperwork did you have to fill in. I've never heard of it. We've crossed many times at Blaine both ways no problem. (touch wood) I've even imported vehicles through Blaine and I was really impressed how helpful and obliging both the US and Canadian Border Patrols where. The US BP sent me an email prior to my arrival giving information for what exit to take of I-5 directions to the parking area and to be careful and watch for southbound traffic when I used the crosswalk to come over to their office. I was in their office maybe three minutes got my export papers and was on my way.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote