Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Canada Questions

Just wondering about the following (and anything else that any of ya'll would want to add) about traveling in Canada. What steps/preparation should be taken to carry a weapon, travel with pets, medical issues, insurance on vehicle, prohibited items, currency, expense, literature on camping sites, length restrictions, etc. I am asking about a trip that we might be there for 2/3 weeks. We would be in an Entegra 44 Anthem and towing a 2007 2500 GMC 4wd. pickup. And, we are so stinking new to all of this we don't know NUTHIN

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Hello, we just drove the ALCAN in Alaska now.

1. There is an official web site on requirements to enter Canada, just google enterance requirement for Canada.
2. Would not recommend taking a gun, requires a permit
3. Contact your insurance company and get a "yellow card" for Canada that states you have ample insurance for Canada
4. We just hit a ATM when we got into Canada for money
5. Gas cost more, plan on around 5 dollars or so a gallon
6. Don't go too early in season like we did, most campgrounds don't open along ALCAN until end of May
7. Use the web to search on campgrounds, plan on 30 to 40 per day, but many boondock along the way.
8. Driving the ALCAN takes time, slow and easy from Whitehorse up to Alaska.
9. No pets with us, but know you need up to date shots etc. Check web for details.
10. have 40ft MH and toad and just careful on the few narrow bridges.

Best of luck and happy travels
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Would recommend you cross at a remote area. I usually cross at Oroville, Washington. They usually don't even enter the RV.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Hello, we just drove the ALCAN in Alaska now.

1. There is an official web site on requirements to enter Canada, just google enterance requirement for Canada.
2. Would not recommend taking a gun, requires a permit
3. Contact your insurance company and get a "yellow card" for Canada that states you have ample insurance for Canada
4. We just hit a ATM when we got into Canada for money
5. Gas cost more, plan on around 5 dollars or so a gallon
6. Don't go too early in season like we did, most campgrounds don't open along ALCAN until end of May
7. Use the web to search on campgrounds, plan on 30 to 40 per day, but many boondock along the way.
8. Driving the ALCAN takes time, slow and easy from Whitehorse up to Alaska.
9. No pets with us, but know you need up to date shots etc. Check web for details.
10. have 40ft MH and toad and just careful on the few narrow bridges.

Best of luck and happy travels
Good advice, and traveling in the rest of Canada should be the same.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Do not carry a gun into Canada. They will take it from you at the border crossing, permit or not. I am a retired LEO and I had mine temporarily taken from me crossing into Canada from Niagra Falls. I was told by the border patrol officers that you don't want to get caught with a gun in Canada. You will get a receipt, but there is no entry point back to that side of the border crossing from the exit area and you also have to remember what entry point that you entered from. There are numerous border crossings into Canada. I was able to walk back over through a gap in the fence from the exit side near a package store.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Canada is a great place to visit!
Do not take a gun, bring lots of money. Check their web sites for prohibited foods and plants. Bring more money.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
The Canadian dollar is basically at a par with the US dollar, so the favorable exchange rate which gave Americans a 20 to 30% discount in past years, (except for gas, which was always higher) is basically just a fading memory. As other posters have said, take plenty of moolah. Canada is beautiful, and the people are friendly. Have a great trip.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

First. Do not take any pistol. Long guns are allowed but you MUST declare them. Canada is very strict about hand guns. You could get a free vacation in a Canadian public facility if you get caught. Random border inspections are VERY thorough and create a huge mess of dumped out belongings.

Second. You must have a valid U.S. Passport to return. Don't leave home without one.

It's not like the old days when they just waved you through, either direction.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #9

I just read a couple months ago about how easy it is to transport a weapon through Canada. Just need the proper papers, a box to lock it in, and the bullets locked up somewhere else. Or something like that. Anyway...

here's the link: Bringing Firearms Into Canada

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #10

THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #11

No hand guns into Canada, passing thru or not. Long guns with a permit.
You may, however, take a flare pistol witch is what I did along with wasp spray.

You are also limited to 10k in cash. We were boarded once coming out of Skagway and had to count the money for him and was then asked to go to the office. Did not find anything out of place when we returned.

Think your attitude toward them will be the deciding factor.

Hava a safe trip.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iquailhunter View Post
THANK YOU TO ALL---
I have just looked up what a litre of diesel is costing in Canada---$3.01/litre---at 3.875 litres to a gallon that makes fuel $11.66/gal. ---is this correct ???
Please, someone tell me I am miscalculating.

No it isn't. BC has some of the highest Gas Prices in the country (Vancouver area) And it is running about $1.45 litre here currently. Alberta is cheaper by .20 cents or more per litre. Diesel is usually pretty close to this gas mark with some stations being a bit higher and others a bit lower.

In the broadest sense, travelling in Canada is pretty similar to the US. The money is more colourful and everything is metric up here but you will most of the same amenities and services that you would find anywhere in the US. As previously mentioned, there are different regulations regarding firearms so be sure to check what they are before you transport.

You should have valid medical insurance. Our medical system is socialized up here but as a foreigner, you likely still have to pay. I would check the web or call a travel agent for some more info on that.
Your pets will need proof of a valid Rabies vaccination

Depending on where you plan to go, check out the provincial tourism sites on the web. Each province has some kind of tourism bureau where you will find all kinds of things to do, places to stay and answers to all sorts of common questions the traveller might have. They usually have toll free numbers that you can call and ask questions as well. Each Province has some provincial campgrounds (= state parks). There are some National Parks and there are scores of private campgrounds and some city owned campgrounds. Some are bookable, others are not so best to make some kind of itinerary and plan your route. With a 44 this is especially advisable. Many of the provincial parks are unable to accommodate rigs over about 34 - 40 feet and the ones that do typically have limited sites that are not so easy to get.

As far a crime and that stuff. Not really much of a problem here. You will find most people helpful and friendly. Some of the bigger urban centres are Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. If you are going to Quebec, the farther you go into the hinterland, the more french is used. If you have some idea of where you are going, post it up here. There will be lots who have suggestions of places to stay, things to visit, and other activities to pursue.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #13

Nice place to visit once in a while - GREAT people

Taxes, Gasoline, Diesel fuel, Beer, Booze, Food and most everything else is 50 to 100% more expensive up there than down south here across the border. Thousands of freindly Canadians with money come this way every year to buy almost everything including Canadian made beer and Booze here at Wally World, Costco, etc where we have no sales taxes

Do not bring in Cigarettes or more than the allowed allotment of Booze which includes Beer and wine they will take it away

With Pets expect a 60 to 90 minute delay as they go through the entire rig

If planning on a pistol or any firearm for Alaska ship it to Alaska use it there and have fun then ship it back to the states
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Lots of websites for current gas price comparisons, for example gasbuddy.com, which include Canadian cities and Provinces.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote