Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
canadian winters

need answers to 2 questions please
do I need to fill propane belly tank before I cover it up on my driveway
and
is it preferred to put down the levelling jacks for the entire winter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Filling the propane not required. Leave the jacks up for the winter. Cylinders will not rust when retracted.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

IMHO, All fuel tanks (Propane/gas/diesel) shoulld be full to prevent condensation. I store my rig with the jacks down to level the unit and take weight off the tires. According to the manufacture, it will not harm the jacks to be extended. There ya go, my free advice. For what it's worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Storage.pdf (29.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopydad
need answers to 2 questions please
do I need to fill propane belly tank before I cover it up on my driveway
and
is it preferred to put down the levelling jacks for the entire winter
I've been told that a full propane tank during winter storage will keep condensation from creeping in during cold weather.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Best way to winterize. Drive south until you cross Interstate 10 then slow down and look for a place to park for the winter.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Best way to winterize. Drive south until you cross Interstate 10 then slow down and look for a place to park for the winter.
That is definetly PLAN "A". The other comes under Plan "B" or "C"
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
yes thanks I would love to join you guys south of the line but I cant get any more time off work as these young guys dont like working so no trips untill at least springtime
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Propane tank full to avoid condensation accumulation inside the tank. Fuel tank full to avoid condensation accumulation inside the tank. If it's diesel fuel, add some fuel conditioner with anti-gel. Run the engine for a while so the fuel conditioner gets distributed through the fuel filters.

I don't think it particularly matters what you decide to do with the jacks.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #9

Water condensation can't occur inside a propane tank that was purged properly in the first place and has even a spoonful of liquid propane in it and the piping system is sound. Where can it get in?
Fuel tanks are another matter and filling is recommended even though modern fuel tanks are effectively sealed so unlike the old directly vented tanks, there is little exchange of air during heating and cooling cycles and much reduced condensation anyway.

However, I would regard having a full propane tanks as very good insurance against something happening that would make it necessary to get out of your house in an emergency.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Water condensation can't occur inside a propane tank that was purged properly in the first place and has even a spoonful of liquid propane in it and the piping system is sound. Where can it get in?
Fuel tanks are another matter and filling is recommended even though modern fuel tanks are effectively sealed so unlike the old directly vented tanks, there is little exchange of air during heating and cooling cycles and much reduced condensation anyway.

However, I would regard having a full propane tanks as very good insurance against something happening that would make it necessary to get out of your house in an emergency.
We have not had a problem with condensate in the propane tank. We have experienced the grief of condensation problems in the fuel tank, including in the fuel filters (ruptured fuel filters are absolutely no fun at all!), and condensation that forms in the air system is another nightmare, if we're trying to start the coach and drive it sometime in the middle of the winter.

So we have made it a rule that just before storing the coach, we fill the propane tank, fill the diesel tank (with winter fuel), add a jug of fuel conditioner with anti-gel to the diesel tank, put a jug of air line anti-freeze into the air system.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote