Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Add 25% to your highest desired asking price.

Sell raffle tickets.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Magna we bought was advertised at $50,000 less than NADA retail, the pictures were good and crisp and their interior decorator had staged the interior. All of which was covered above.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exposure helps. Park it at a busy shopping mall with large for sale signs. Do the staging and get people talking about the lifestyle. Have feature sheets just like an open house.
You'll be selling!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #18

I totally disagree with a couple of previous posts, their is a huge market for older motorhomes. I buy one every spring use it for the summer and then sell in the fall for a 5-10k profit. Ton's of people aren't interested in spending what they can buy a house for on something they use a few times a year. The 20-35k price range is very hot, easy for most folks to get financed for this amount. If their bank isn't interested in a coach that old there are plenty that are. If its in great to excellent shape and has been taken care of a price somewhere around retail book, maybe 10-20% less, will get it sold. If its in fair to good shape or the outside has been let go you will need to be close or below low book. Above 50k in miles and you once again will need to be in the low book area. Craigslist is where you want to advertise, people aren't going to be interested in flying half way across the country for a coach in this price range.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #19

I mostly disagree with the "staging" concept for RVs. People want to see the condition of the RV without distractions. You have no idea whether a prospective buyer wants to see it as a "home" or a "travel" vehicle. Absolutely no throw rugs ... the assumption is that it is covering a stain or cracked tile. Remove everything personal and shoot very detailed pictures showing closeups/macros of fabrics, counter surfaces, woodgrain, lamps/sconces, sink fixtures, and carpet. Less is more ... people will fill in the images for things they want. Shoot with a good camera with good lighting. Make sure the color rendition is balanced and as high resolution as possible.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #20

When I sold my travel trailer a year and a half ago it got calls so quick I didn't have time to get my stuff out of it, so I fired up the A/C so it was cool inside and I got to work. The lookers came while I was still getting stuff out - they walked in and the husband said "Wow! Its cool in here! What a great idea! All the other rigs we looked at were hotter than he!!".

Yes, they bought it.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #21

I also disagree with the staging concept. Just remove all the clutter and personal items and straighten it up. Be sure it's pretty much like it came from the factory. Open the blinds and curtains to let in a lot of light and take photos that show things in context. A closeup of a faucet is meaningless unless you show how it looks with the sink and surrounding area. I added photos of the rig in places we had visited and let the buyers' imagination fill in the blanks. For example, I had photos of the rig in both snow and under trees in a forest. As a professional photographer, I had plenty of equipment to work with but you can do the same with carefully hidden desk lamps and flashlights. You can also hire a pro to take the photos but you need to tell him/her what's important.

We sold our 2006 WGO View 24J in two months at very close to our asking price in the mid-$40s. One month isn't much time to sell a motorhome. We planned on 3-6 months and lucked out. Finally, don't list an infinite number of options, mods and accessories. Too much text just overwhelms most people. Show 'em "putry pitchers."

Forgot to add, you'll soon start receiving lots of calls from scammers, hucksters and con artists. Have your BS meter tuned!
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #22

Well as one person currently reviewing RV for future purchase, I look for plenty of pictures of the inside. Not necessary with adding a homely look. I also take in the age, mileage and what shape the seller states it is in.

Although, I am looking not just locally. But I do search in areas I would/could get to easy enough or have someone take a peek to see if it's worth my wile.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #23

Clean clean and clean plus have bedding. It amazed me when we shopped for our Motorhome how dirty some of these units are when people are trying to sell, too lazy to even get them in shape for proper presentation. To me clean also means well taken care of and maintenance done. One more thing to remember is with anything for sale a Motorhome is only worth what somebody is willing to pay so maybe you need to drop the asking price.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #24

Hang in there, and keep at it. It took me a year and half to sell mine. Asking price was 30k.
Minnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #25

Look at the opportunity you are missing. If you had the RV description in your signature most of us would be looking or telling friends. As it stands none of us are looking. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After using internet sites and a stint on a consignment lot I put the coach in a empty lot along a state highway, agreement with owner of lot, and put my price in BIG numbers on the side windows, using white shoe polish. Sold it in a week.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought my MH on Craigslist and he'd only had it listed a month and I was one of three folks looking at it that day. I got it basically because I had emailed my CU the night before looking and was pre-approved for the two I was looking at that day,so I could make an offer right there.
I listed both of the pop-ups we owned and then the Cougar and Excursion on Craigslist and they went quite fast. I listed the latter two items on RV Trader also and got 6 calls in a month and four were scams.
The '05 Cougar 304 BHS and the '01 PSD Excursion, which was bought on Ebay from Denver, were listed seperately with the note that I'd sell them as a package. Had three folks bidding on the package and made $4K more than asked. Craigslist is the way to go.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #28

We have had our 2004 Tropi-Cal for sale a tad over a month. Two national sites, three Craigslist . Original owner, garage kept, maintenance records etc. About 15 or so calls. They are all frightened off by too many miles. Guess I am too impatient.
Alberta3 is offline   Reply With Quote