Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #1

Can't crawl on the roof no more!

A couple years ago I resealed the roof on my old class C. Now I have a newer, taller and longer Class A. And I also have a new knee and can't crawl on my knees anymore.

Has anyone tried some kind of a scaffoling system to gain access to the roof to work on it just by reaching across standing on the scaffolling?
Xpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #2

any way you can park by your house or other building on your property and be able to get to the roof of it and slip across to the RV roof?
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at Bakers scaffold. It is easy to set up alone and stores in a relatively small area. Not sure how the outriggers would effect your reach to the coach. If you can work off a 6' high (single level) outriggers would not be needed unless you were working with an extremely heavy load off one side, not likely for coach roof work.

You could also look as S or W style scaffolding. No need for outriggers at 12 foot high but you wouldn't use wheels like Bakers scaffolding so moving would be difficult, disassemble/reassemble. Not easily done by yourself.

The fact that you need to be over a single level (6') is going to limit your choices in terms of easy setup.

The scaffolding available at home improvement stores is ok for single level but would be unstable and risky at the 2nd level. I look for low cost alternatives where safety is not an issue. I would consider working at any height over 4' to be a safety concern (so does OSHA). Look for something sturdy and secure.

Here is one site for Bakers and others Rolling Multipurpose Bakers Style Scaffold - Scaffolding, Rolling Multipurpose Bakers Scaffolding from Scaffolding Depot
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Welcome to my world, I just got my 2nd new knee.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #5

Can you still go up the ladder? My knees can't take kneeling either so when work is required on the roof I take a small plastic step up with me. It's about 12" high so low enough I can get at what I need to but allows me to sit instead of kneel.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

I have a new knee and a Bakers scaffolding from Harbor Freight. Does it make working and washing a breeze.

That picture from up above post is the same one Harbor Freight sells for $169 on sale. I bought two of them. You can stack them so when you fall you not only break something, You get a chance at killing yourself. HA.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

One option I am considering is to borrow a friend's Econoline Van. It already has a heavy duty roof rack (He installs carpets and flooring). I figure that I can secure a sheet of plywood to it and have a movable rig.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! I have the solution. My wife does the roof.

I have pictures to prove it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Ah! I have the solution. My wife does the roof.

I have pictures to prove it.
Poor Earline! She must REALLY love you.

I don't have a spouse to send up the ladder and my old knees won't allow crawling anymore. I've perfected a butt-scooting and crab-crawling technique for such activities.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think anyone wants to watch Wayne butt scoot.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for the Harbor Freight scaffold. If you can park with several feet of paved surface on even one side, the scaffold makes the high jobs much easier. Move the coach for access to the other side or front/rear if applicable.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #12

My local hardware store rents tools, and they show a scaffold on their web site just like the Harbor Freight one that can be rented for $10 a day.

So renting as needed might be another option if you only need it once in a while... save some money and storage space.

If you don't have a local Harbor Freight where you can buy the scaffold (we don't), shipping looks pretty expensive and apparently costs extra if you can't take it off the truck yourself.
treehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #13

With the Harbor Ft. Scaffold, are you able to get onto the top using the scaffold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Another vote for the Harbor Freight scaffold. If you can park with several feet of paved surface on even one side, the scaffold makes the high jobs much easier. Move the coach for access to the other side or front/rear if applicable.
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have worked on/off scaffolding a few times, Should work,, But why..

Though I do admit to crawling around on my roof doing work that would normally be hired (Like air conditioner and/or sat Dome repairs) fact is, routine maintenance. I stand up.

Tags
roof