Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Can't get MH to start after long winter nap

Went out to wake up the MH for a short drive today. Started right up without a wimper... Went about checking things out while plugged into 50amp shore power. Inverter shows batteries are charging. Checked batteries with volt meter. Two main 12v batteries each reading 14.6. Five 6v house batteries each reading 7.3. All house battery levels are up and mains are sealed battery's. Later in the day, I went to start the DP engine again and dash indicators all light up and buzz... but just get a click, nothing turns over at all... ??? I have verified I have 110v inside the MH from shore power. Lights. plugs, TV,s, Microwave, Furnace, AC all work. So, what's not working... won't start, door step not functioning, slides are not working, power seats don't move. Control panel shows a fault light for Aux batteries, but display registers 13.6. Main shows nothing on display. LP, Holding tank lights not registering anything when pushed, but water pump, hw tank and water pump all respond... I am frustrated... don't know where to check next.... would appreciate some thoughts from the community... Thanks, Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Went out to wake up the MH for a short drive today. Started right up without a wimper... Went about checking things out while plugged into 50amp shore power. Inverter shows batteries are charging. Checked batteries with volt meter. Two main 12v batteries each reading 14.6. Five 6v house batteries each reading 7.3. All house battery levels are up and mains are sealed battery's. Later in the day, I went to start the DP engine again and dash indicators all light up and buzz... but just get a click, nothing turns over at all... ??? I have verified I have 110v inside the MH from shore power. Lights. plugs, TV,s, Microwave, Furnace, AC all work. So, what's not working... won't start, door step not functioning, slides are not working, power seats don't move. Control panel shows a fault light for Aux batteries, but display registers 13.6. Main shows nothing on display. LP, Holding tank lights not registering anything when pushed, but water pump, hw tank and water pump all respond... I am frustrated... don't know where to check next.... would appreciate some thoughts from the community... Thanks, Tom
Might be a dumb question, but my coach will not start with the slides deployed. Is yours the same?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry, cant help with your starting issue, but wondering.... How can you have 5- 6volt batteries ?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sorry, cant help with your starting issue, but wondering.... How can you have 5- 6volt batteries ?
Thumb got in the way when I was counting... duh! Yes, I only have four!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but my coach will not start with the slides deployed. Is yours the same?

My slides are closed... won't open

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Do you have a House Disconnect Switch?
Do you have a Chassis Disconnect Switch?
Is there an In-Line 50A Fuse off the House or Chassis Batts? This will be a Big Red coloured fuse.
The Aux Fault Light is your first clue. I would go looking for a Main Fuse somewhere off the batteries.
Try a Voltage test on the main feed into your 12V Fuse Panel, wherever it is located. That should tell you if you have a fuse problem between it and the batteries.
Just shooting in the dark here as I'm not really familiar with your coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First If you checked the main 12V batteries with shore power (14.6v) applied all your checking is your converter output. ALWAYS check batteries with shore power disconnected.

With Shore power disconnected, attached a volt meter across the parallel batteries and have someone watch the readings while you try to start the engine. If the voltage dips a lot then you know the batteries need charging so I would recommend pulling them and "slow charging" with a battery charger. Do each one one at a time.

Make sure all connections are clean. Dirty connections will give a similar result.

Any battery that you check the water levels make sure you also check for bad cells with a hydromenter.

After all batteries are checked then you can start checking relays etc. Just do the obvious first.

Let us know.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Shooting in the dark also. Bad ground?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

x2 on the bad ground. check your 12v battery connections!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
And also the ground at the frame.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
have you tried your battery boost switch to have the house batteries give the engine an extra kick?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #12

MH DP not starting after long Winters Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
have you tried your battery boost switch to have the house batteries give the engine an extra kick?
Battery boost is not turning engine over either. The following items are not functioning:

Ignition panel lights up, but engine doesn't turn over
Battery boost doesn't do anything
Slide outs not working
Power seats dead
Power step not closing/opening
Generator not starting
Power mirrors & front power shades not moving
LP, Holding tanks, water level status lights dark
Main battery status gives no status
Aux battery displays 13.5 status, but has fault light on
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #13

No manual disconnects that I can find anywhere, but I am beginning to suspect the circuit board in the battery control center may have gone bad. Made by RV products and I got some trouble shooting instructions to try. 19 pages, so I've decided to start back @ square one first. Have pulled out main batteries and taking them in for load/charge testing. If okay, I will verify good ground connections replace and then begin trouble shooting the circuit board. Wish me luck!

Tom
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and clean all of the contacts at the starter. It's a ritual I have to go thru twice a year or I end up in the same place you are in right now. Just this weekend I had to do it. My MH had been starting like a champ with no problem. Then suddenly...nothing but buzzing and chattering.

I'll bet money that is all you need to do.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter