Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #15

Just looked at a you-tube walk thru of your rig.

Look under the rig below the center of the door. See if the "U" bolt that the latch locks onto is held on with nuts. If so undo the nuts and you are in.

Next option:
See if you can get a hacksaw blade between the door and the frame and cut the "U" bolt off.

Next option:
Drill out the handle where you put your hand to pull up to unlatch. Start in the center and work out. When you get an opening reach in and pull the rod. That should open the door.

These handles are used on many brands MH. Winnebago for sure, many years. Dumb set up. I drilled the rod ends so I could install cotter pins. That fixed my problem. (If I slammed the hatch it would knock the rod loose......You'll see what I mean when you take the screws out of the cover on the inside of the door. That is, if you ever get inside.)
GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPWayne View Post
Just looked at a you-tube walk thru of your rig.

Look under the rig below the center of the door. See if the "U" bolt that the latch locks onto is held on with nuts. If so undo the nuts and you are in.

Next option:
See if you can get a hacksaw blade between the door and the frame and cut the "U" bolt off.

Next option:
Drill out the handle where you put your hand to pull up to unlatch. Start in the center and work out. When you get an opening reach in and pull the rod. That should open the door.

These handles are used on many brands MH. Winnebago for sure, many years. Dumb set up. I drilled the rod ends so I could install cotter pins. That fixed my problem. (If I slammed the hatch it would knock the rod loose......You'll see what I mean when you take the screws out of the cover on the inside of the door. That is, if you ever get inside.)
This sounds good and thank you! I'll be crawling underneath first thing in the morning. The neighbor saw me last night trying everything I can to get the door open and he was kinda smirking until I finally told him I had to get at the beer. He left and returned with a 36 pack of Coors Light in a cooler bag! He’s going to help me try to solve this also tomorrow. Last thing, I called THOR’s technical support and they were great about it even thou my warranty is over. They are sending me a new door handle just in case I damage the old one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and laughs, I’ll update everyone when this drama is over!

Moon
Moonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #17

I hope you are successful in the morning.

If not, you should sell the motor home, move to a different state, buy another motor home, and start all over.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
epj

You have a priceless neighbor.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #19

This is the you tube walk thru I was looking at. Check out the problem he has with the hatch doors.(Trying to close)

GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #20

Work bent coat hanger around the latch points, push in door to relieve pressure on latch point and gently pull out coat hanger. It should push in actual latch allowing door to open.
You gotta get to that beer!
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #21

Don't know what kind of coach you have because diesel vs gasoline the compartment doors are built different, BUT! if it is a diesel you can remove from the adjacent compartment the partition between the two compartments and reach in and unlock it. You will never be able to unlock it because probably something broke inside to lock.

If it is gasoline where the compartments slide out with the slide, then you have big problems.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Damn it man save the beer
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please tell me the rig is plugged in so the beer didn't get hot.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
We had that problem on our Winnie last year. Couldn't open any of the bay doors. We were able to remove the hinges and get the doors open. We eventually had the electronic locks replaced as it somehow shorted all of them.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
YC1

This is indeed a crisis and needs an immediate response. I suspect some of our friends in fire rescue could bring the jaws. They too would see this as a serious emergency.

So if you don't have a buddy like this,.

Then you need a tool like this.,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beer buddy.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	130400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Emergency access tool.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	130401  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #26

Yes we are plugged in so the beer will be plenty cold. The wife is so frustrated with me that she is now under the rig with a coat hanger, credit card, and a few other things mentioned here. I am more than capable but she thinks I'm milking the job and she wants that blender really bad for her Pina coladas or some special drink she makes. Once she's done cussing under there (I can hear her right now) I'll get back to work because I really need that beer for the weekend.

The neighbor is gone mentioning some other crisis somewhere. Seems he disappeared right after we finished the 36 pack of Coors Light he bought me.
Moonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Moonless (aka: Beerless) -

Call Thor and tell them that "access to the compartment is a matter of life and death" as there are "items inside that are required to sustain life"
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post
Seems he disappeared right after we finished the 36 pack of Coors Light he bought me.

HE BROUGHT LIGHT beer to help with this kind of a problem.