Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #15

The Thor ACE has the shortest windshield of any Class A motorhome made today. Wider A pillars make it even worse. Not a very well thought out design. One of the advantages a Class A should offer over a Class C is a much larger windshield for a maximum viewing experience. The ACE really missed the mark on this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
My wife and I just completed our maiden voyage in a 2013 Ace 29.2 Everything worked out great EXCEPT, I can't stand the driver's seat. All seems fine after an initial test sit, but it became apparent right away, that I'm too tall for proper upward visibility (I can't see traffic lights.) The seat is not very adjustable, only swivel, slide and back tilt. The pedestal post is a solid tube, so there is no option for vertical adjustment. I was tempted to have a friend cut 2" out of the post and re-weld, but then the position would be too low for my wife to drive.

The other thing that doesn't work for me personally, is that the seat base does not tilt. It's dead flat, and even feels like it tilts forward a little bit. I found that after about one hour in this position, I am essentially crippled--my lower back crumbles (regardless of lumbar support.)

I see no choice but to shop for a seat and pedestal replacement that offers full adjustment. It seems like Flexsteel is the market leader by far. Can anybody recommend other places to shop, or is Flexsteel really the best vendor to focus on?

--DonK
Hi just bought an ace 30.1 did anyone ever change the drivers seat and if so does it still swivel?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rv seating
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #18

After months of backaches, I finally went forward, and spent some money. Much of my problem had to do with the lack of height adjustment. Since the stock seat is mounted atop a fixed steel post, I removed absolutley everything down to the floor. I bought a Bostrum Wide-ride 2 from Suburban Seating and installed it myself. Since it's made for a semi truck, it requires a compressed air hookup, so I installeded a small air compressor up in the engine compartment and ran an air line up through the floor. What a sweet ride! Now I not only have mega-adjustment, but I'm also riding on top of an air-shock instead of a steel post.

--DonK
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #19

During the time I spent as a transit coach driver, I found the Recaro seats our Gillig buses had were excellent. 8 hours a day - no problems.

They had cloth upholstery, so no sticky vinyl. Backrest angle, seat-bottom angle, height and fore/aft were all adjustable. The seat was mounted on an air-spring base. Add in a steering column that had two universal joints and both height and tilt adjustment and it could accommodate drivers between 4' 6" and 6' 9" tall.

Changing the steering column on an RV would be a real chore, but it might be worth going to a bus wrecking yard to see what seats they might have.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Now thats some good intel.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Thanks for the links!

This seat looks great, and the price ain't too bad, but I m sure shipping will bring it up to around a grand.>--->NICE SEAT,EH?
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #22

hi I was wondering if you are satisfied with your seat choice and what kind of compressor did you install?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #23

Yes, I wouldn't be able to drive my rig without it. It wasnt only a good choice for comfort, but it just happens to fit perfectly in the limited space available (the slide out behind the drivers seat makes things tight.)

I bought a universal compressor kit from the dealer I got the seat from. Go to SuburbanSeats.com and search for "compressor".

--DonK
Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #24

Bostrum Wide Ride 2 still good?

I was researching that Bostrum seat and it really does look to have a ton of great features. Swivels, height, multiple lumbar bags, suspension. Only concern I have is the height of the armrests, which do not appear adjustable. Wish there was one nearby to sit in.

-Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #25

I know what you mean about trying one out. I couldn't find anyone anywhere that had a selection of seats to physically try out. We even have a very large Freightliner truck dealership nearby but they don't keep any seats on hand. I took a big gamble and just ordered the Bostrum based on reviews and technical specs.

Regarding armrests: they adjust, but not DIRECTLY up and down. They actually swivel up and down with the point of axis being the mounting point on the seat back. There is a "dial-type" adjustment on the bottom of each armrest which allows you to set the position of each one.

--DonK
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #26

Thanks Don.

Fitment was pretty straightforward? I can find the guides online, but not the installation guide. Does the seat require 12V power AND air? Is the air unregulated ~120PSI? Reason I ask is I have a DP and access to air, just wondering how I route/install all of this.

I especially like that the seat rotates.

Another question, did you get the fabric, ultra leather or leather? I haven't found prices on the genuine leather yet, but like that you can get both heated AND cooled seat (leather only). I have vented seats in my cars and LOVE IT. My current seats are ultraleather, and honestly it doesn't breath and I would prefer fabric, tho it wouldn't match (not that the color of ultraleather would match either).

Chris
Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #27

"Fitment" is a complicated answer :-) Once installed, I don't think it could have been sized any better for the space. I would say this is the largest seat that could possibly work because of the limited space between the steering wheel and the slideout behind the seat. When we are camped, and the slideout is deployed, I can spin the seat around to face the TV, but just barely. It requires some finagling in all adjustment and tilt directions to get it to spin past the steering wheel. But I'd still rather put up with that instead of getting a lesser seat. (Note: the seat levers and controls will hit the "doghouse" engine cover if you try to swivel it without raising it up first.)

Installation itself is a different matter. This is no installation guide--you just have to find a way to bolt it to the floor. The Thor seat had a very small mounting plate with 4 bolts in a 7" square pattern. The Bostrum seat has a much longer base--nothing lines up at all with the old bolt holes.

It should be noted that under the floor, there is a diagonal support bracket between the chassis frame and the underside of the seat bolts. That bracket can come out pretty easily once you unbolt the original seat, but I thought it would be unwise to do away with it. I think it's necessary because of the very small footprint of the original seat mount. The Bostrum might not really need it, since its base is so much bigger, but I decided to make use of the bracket anyway because I didn't want to second-guess the engineer that came up with the support design.

So I bought a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum plate, the same dimension as the Bostrum base, and drilled the 7" square hole pattern into it. I bolted the Bostrum to the aluminum, and bolted the aluminum through the floor and the bracket. I also added a couple of extra bolts through the front edge of the aluminum through the floor, since the orignal 4 bolt holes wound up at the back edge of the plate.

Other answers: I got the real leather, unheated version. It seemed to look like the closest match to the passenger seat. The only gripe I have with the seat at all is that I find the leather to be just a little slippery. I find myself sliding forward from time to time, and I sometimes wonder if cloth might be better.

The seat requires no electricity unless you have the heater option. There is a single, 1/4" plastic air line to connect to your air source. The mini compressor I bought with the seat is essentially unregulated--except for the fact that the pressure switch comes on at 90 pounds and shuts off at about 115. There was a lot of space available behind the front grill, under the radiator, so I bolted the air compressor and tank right on to the heavy steel front frame and then ran my air line around the frame (toward the driver's side) and up high against the underside of the floor. Then I just drilled a small hole up through the floor, all the way through my aluminum plate and connected the air line under the seat. I also wired a new switch up to the front dash so I had a cut-off control to the air compressor in case I ever sprung a leak-- and also it's noisy when it's running and I didn't want it to be able to pop on unexpectedly if we weren't actually on the road.

--DonK
Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #28

Thanks Don.

The other seat I am looking at is the prime 600l:

Prime Seating 600L

The prime comes with real leather, heat and ventilation and a real adjustable headrest. Only problem is that it doesn't swivel (which I rarely use on drivers seat anyways) and it only comes in grey/black leather which won't match a thing!

My current seat is ultraleather with psuedo-suede inserts. It gets hot and sweaty. I am not inclined to go ultraleather again, and go either fabric or real leather (hopefully with ventilation). My cars have ventilated seats and it truly makes a difference. My current seat also has a broken lumbar adjuster. What amazes me is that these motorhome seats are build like giant sofa's and provide nearly no support. They are not "driving" seats by any measure. I am also annoyed that the arm rests on my current flexsteel are "too high", making them uncomfortable to use.

I may run over to a shop that has the bostrum in stock. I can sit on that seat potentially. The prime I think I would have to "wing it". At least I have confidence ANYTHING that is adjustable has to be a step up from what I currently have.

But the $64K question is this. Does it look worse to have a slightly mismatched seat like a bostrum, that may be in the same color family, but really wont match closely at all? Or, would it look fine to have a drivers seat that is obviously different (black)? My current driver/passenger and couches are a creamy-white color.

My gut says screw it, go with the prime in black and gray leather. Folks that enter the bus will know that is a legit seat.

One more question,
Is the suspension a legitimate comfort-add? Reason I ask is that I care much more about a supportive and adjustable seat than the suspension, but was curious. My DP has a pretty nice ride as is.

Congrats again Don on the great seat, and thanks for your help. I am hoping to make 600-800 mile days a reality. I am a working dad, so being able to take my family to further destinations would be great (without needing tons of vacation days to do it!).

-Chris

Tags
driver, thor