Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Can't test 50amp service with this

So I watched a good YT video on how to test pole service before you plug in. I bought a recommended tester. Went to test at our CG and the tips are to short to reach way into the 50amp service circuits to test. Do they make extensions for these things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tester.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	145203  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #2

yes, you can get extensions. You can also plug an adapter in the 50 amp socket and the pull out a little so the blades are slightly exposed...better yet get a Progressive Ind EMS-HW50C and be protected. A voltage reading with a meter is nothing more that false security
Old 11-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

The short answer is probably but they might be hard to find. An example might be these:

Fine Point Extended Test Probe Adapter Set, 1 Red and 1 Black

I'd want to see them first to make sure the probes mated with the existing one's. The insulation would need to be stripped back at the tips. There are probably other options from other sources.

A better answer might be to get an end that plugs into what you are testing and put a few strategically placed holes in the shell so you can probe through the hole but still be protected from grabbing a hot connection.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your tester is the one pictured, I cannot understand how the probes are too short to touch the conductors in the receptacle. If those probes are too short, I don't understand how the plug from your coach can make decent contact either if thats the case.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't push them straight in, aim for the sides. Move them around a bit, you will find the hot spots.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
yes, you can get extensions. You can also plug an adapter in the 50 amp socket and the pull out a little so the blades are slightly exposed...better yet get a Progressive Ind EMS-HW50C and be protected. A voltage reading with a meter is nothing more that false security
I do have a Progressive Ind EMS-HW50C. My procedure usually is:
1) turn off all breakers in MH
2) check post power with tester
3) If post is ok, plugin
4) check read out on Progressive Ind EMS-HW50C monitor
5) turn on breakers

Maybe over kill but rather be safe than sorry.

Answers to other question:
I did try to move my tester tips to the side of the receptacle but couldn't get contact. I looked closely and the contacts were way in there. When I finally plugged my cord in it made contact just fine. EMS-HW50C Monitor read out good electrical feed, turned on breakers.

Good idea on this suggestion:
You can also plug an adapter in the 50 amp socket and the pull out a little so the blades are slightly exposed
Old 11-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I let the progressive ems doing the testing. Turn off the pedestal breaker, plug in the ems and shore power cord, turn on the breakers. Go do other stuff. After doing other stuff power should be on in the coach. If not, go see what the ems found that it didn't like.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I let the progressive ems doing the testing. Turn off the pedestal breaker, plug in the ems and shore power cord, turn on the breakers. Go do other stuff. After doing other stuff power should be on in the coach. If not, go see what the ems found that it didn't like.

Yep!
Nothing else is required.
I plug mine in as the first act of setup. In a few seconds I know all I need to.
I do own a meter, but between the PI portable unit and my Magnum Energy panel, it doesn't get used much.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not comfortable enough with using a multimeter to be sticking probes into places "real juice" might be present.

My Progressive surge/power protector is an external unit. I kill the breaker on the pole - plug in the Progressive - and turn the breaker back on. If I see green lights across the board - I kill the breaker on the pole, plug the coach into the Progressive unit - and then turn the breaker back on. I then give my DW a holler on the FRS radio and have her confirm what the LED display on the "Load Center" reads (50 amp, 30 amp, etc.) to complete the hook up process.

While I'm sure that in the hands of an electrically knowledgeable somebody - a multimeter would be the tool of choice. I fear that me forgetting where to set the selector dial for the test I'm trying to perform ... then jamming a couple of probes into a 50 amp receptacle in the hopes that I'm going to make contact with the right something - just might send me flying.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:59 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree. The EMS tests several things...........constantly.

Quote:

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Don't push them straight in, aim for the sides. Move them around a bit, you will find the hot spots.
I do the same when necessary which isn't very often. The cord end power protector has worked well closing out it's fifth year of never coming off the end of the cord.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Ok I get that but here's why I choose to did the meter thing. When we had our TT, we found a really nice spot. At that time I had a portable EMS unit. So the first thing I did was to walk over to the post and plugged it in to see if the green lights came on and verified that the post had good power BEFORE I backed in and started "doing other stuff". So in this example the lights did come on, verified power was good, so we backed in, leveled and started doing all the "other stuff". I went around and plugged in the 30amp power cord to our portable EMS and it started to give me bad readings. After trouble shooting I realized that this post was not delivering good power after all. SO.......we had to UNDO the "other stuff" we did and move. Big hassle.

So when we bought this MH, one of the first things I did was install a hard wired EMS-HW50C for all the many reasons mentioned on this site. But as an added precaution, because of what happened in the above example, I wanted to again, verify that the power was good before we go into any kind of setup up mode or "doing other stuff". So I watched this video on YT to show me how to do this. (see below) It just seemed to me that even though I'm now covered with the EMS-HW50C, instead of driving through or backing up into position where I can pull out the cord, plug it in see what the readings are from the EMS-HW50C, why not check the electrical post 1st by walking up to it and testing it. Seemed to me that would save me a lot of hassle only to find out that, that post had insufficient power and then have to put the cord back into the bay, pull the rig out and find another site. All that positioning to do that exercise was for nothing.

A few weeks ago I posted here how to check a CG electrical post BEFORE I plugged in and one of the suggestions was to buy what SpaceNorman did and buy a portable unit also. (Even though he uses that as his permanent source) Well that's a couple of hundred bucks or more and I wasn't going to do that. So that's why I decided to do what the YT video suggested.

I hope I'm making sense here. If there's a better, inexpensive, safer and reliable way, to check the post for power before I go through all the hassle of getting into position to test it with the MH's poser cord I'm open. Do you all see where I'm coming from?

Your thoughts...?

Video that I watched is here:
Old 11-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #13

I have no problem sticking my prob in a hot area, if you don't know what you are doing ?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are handy or know someone who is, there are DIY testers. Here's a couple

50-amp Tester

http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/5...et_tester.html

I watched the video. Notice how he tilts the probes to the side to get a reading. With a little practice, I think you can get the hang of it. I only have about 60+ years.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, test