Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Captain Chairs

I believe I've reached the point where my Captain chairs and J lounge have seen all the fun they can take. They're made by Flex Steel, covered in ultra leather and I have found replacements through FS that will work well and look great. The chairs would run about $1100 each and utilize my existing controls and motors for adjustment.....this seems a bit high to me. However, I have no idea what they should be??

The question is, to those who have already done this:

Would I be better off to find a local shop to re-upholster them? Since I'm using the old motor etc for adjustment anyways. Does anyone have any idea what that might cost, and would they come out as nice as just replacing with new? I know new would be the easiest way to go, however, I'm planning a full remodel, inside and out (full body paint) so I do want to save where I can without giving up a quality finished product.

Thanks guys

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having spent many years in the Automotive Aftermarket business (quite a few years ago), I would say that you should certainly be able to find a source to reupholster your captains chairs for less than $1,100 a piece.

When looking at $1,100 per captains chair, and I estimate about $1,700 for a leather J Lounge ... I'm sure that with a little research on some local companies, you can find a good source for re-upholstery for less than ~$4,000.

You haven't mentioned what condition the cushions are, and to me, this makes a big difference in the comfort and long term re-use of the seats and lounge. While a re-upholsterer can add some more foam to "boost" up squished up cushions on the couch, reforming the cushions of the captains chairs - for good support and long-term "butt" comfort, for me, would be more of a deciding factor on re-upholster or replace.

I would look for references or experience in upholstery with some local car audio shops, car dealers and even your local RV dealer.

We used to do leather interiors with the skins supplied by Katzkin. I would even reach out to them to see if they have recommendations that are local to you Contact Katzkin

Good Luck in your decision ... would love to see some before and after photos

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks 2Labs,

The seats (base) are in fine shape...just the Ultra Leather that has let me down. It's cracking and just looks awful IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0704121712.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	23247   Click image for larger version

Name:	0704121713.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	23248  

Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - you should be able to reupholster them for less than a new chair. Not cheap, but less. Start by asking Flexsteel for replacement OEM upholstery cost (you still have to have it installed locally), then get quotes from local shops for the entire job or just installing a factory replacement upholstery.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm, never thought of that Gary. Do you know where on my chairs I would find a model #? I've poked around a bit and have found nothing....
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The copilot's seat in my coach has done the same thing. Funny it's only on the one chair though. Driver's seat, lounge and recliner are all still in good shape.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Awesome .. if it were me, I would definitely go the reupholster route. As you say, the seat cushions look to be in fine shape from a comfort and support perspective.

You would be surprised at how easy it is to re-upholster a seat. The seat covers "basically" slide over the backrest and bottom cushion and are usually held on with springs and heavy duty C rings. Now sure, Katzkin probably doesn't have a template to fit your seat, but in the reupholstery business, that doesn't really matter.

A good shop with the right technicians can take your covers off, de-stitch them so that all the pieces are flat and then just trace out the individual pieces onto new leather, fabric .. whatever you choose, stitch them back together and slide them back on.

Heck, while the covers are off, you could easily add some seat heaters with the money you would save on new seats.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Agree - you should be able to reupholster them for less than a new chair. Not cheap, but less. Start by asking Flexsteel for replacement OEM upholstery cost (you still have to have it installed locally), then get quotes from local shops for the entire job or just installing a factory replacement upholstery.
As Gary says, if you're relatively handy and have some average tools, you can disassemble the seats yourself, slide the old covers off and the new ones on in a couple of hours.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
As Gary says, if you're relatively handy and have some average tools, you can disassemble the seats yourself, slide the old covers off and the new ones on in a couple of hours.
Ohhhh no! I've already got too many projects to deal with This is one that I'll leave to those that know what they're doing....I'd just end up with a major mess. LOL
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Here is a quote from a post on the Woodall forum that is two years old but is right on target! Especially the UltraLeather TM point. My UltraLeather is 17 years and 87,000 miles old and is still passable.

"twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/10 04:36am Link | Print | Notify Moderator I did my driver's chair (Flexsteel Brand)........I bought five yards of brand name ULTRALEATHER on the internet......The trick is to make sure you get REAL, BRAND NAME ULTRALEATHER-TM (Trade Mark)......It cost me about 40 bucks a yard......

I went to an upholstery shop in Ocala, Florida and looked at some of the chairs he had done for customers.....He charged me 300 dollars to re-do the chair with my Ultra Leather.....I told him I wanted it EXACTLY the same as the factory job.........He matched the chair perfectly.......All I had to do was unbolt the chair (Four bolts under the chair) and bring it to him......

Total cost was under 550 bucks and he made extra slip covers for the arms and where my head hits the back of the seat out of the same leather......

A new chair would have been at least 1,000 dollars and my chair looks brand new.....

Do a google search for ULTRALEATHER TM (One word) and make sure you get BRAND NAME material......

John

* This post was edited 04/24/10 04:43am by twocruisin * "
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We are almost finished with our entire interior remodel. We oringinally were going to re-upholster too, then decided on all new from this place:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/disc...vfurniture.htm

We got the De Leon package in leather and a few other options, delivered was still under $3000. The Captain chairs bolted right into original pedistals as did all hardware and power seat controls. We are very pleased with quality, material and workmanship.

Oh, we also ordered 5 or so yards of the leather. We used it on the doghouse and other items to blend things together.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #12

you can have them cleaned and re dyed very reasonable ( under $200.00 per capt.chair)
i had mine done and they look almost new.i don't know who does it in your area but leather pros inc in the portland area does Leather Pros Inc. ? ?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good upholsterer should be able to duplicate the seat covers for you for whole lot less then $1100/seat. Check around you'll be surprised at what a good one can do.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote